Street alignment feedback

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
I'll be swapping out a left front strut today and the car will be going in Monday for an alignment. These are the specs I have the car set to:

Front:
Camber: -1.8
Caster: 7.1
Toe: 0 total

Rear:
Camber: -1.6
Toe: .20 total
Thrust Angle: 0

Car is a bit tail happy at times. Anything to adjust in the alignment to offset this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Looks fine. Where is the car gettingntail happy? Tires and condition of the tires?

OP
OP
Scooter MGee

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Tires are fine. Conti DWS6+ 285/35/19 square with very good tread. Did the same thing with Firehawk Indy 500's. It's mid corner that sometimes gets squirrelly. Nothing to major. Just have to be mindful and use the throttle judiciously on corner exit.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
Here's what I see

#1 - you want the slightest amount of toe in the front. Anything to keep that tire from wanting to wonder out under load. Could be as little as 0.02 and it makes a difference.

#2 - you are running quite aggressive caster for that front camber setting IMO and this will unsettle the car. I know guys running that much caster on GT cars. For comparison I run 295 35R18s and have 6.8 with 2.4 camber and 0.04 toe currently.

#3 - to me your car looks lowered and has some aggressive front aero ? This is an issue because lowering a Mustang and adding front aero will unbalance and unsettle the car immensely. This is a big rabbit hole to poke your head into but it's the truth. If you do enough searches and talk to track guys/girls you will generally find that an adjustable rear wing is the best solution. Believe me I've been down it - I purchased my car with GT350 dive planes AND an APR front splitter along with an Anderson 350R rear spoiler. For months we've been working on high speed tramlining, etc... All I can tell you is we now have an APR adjustable GT250 rear wing on order because we've done enough testing (have a GT cup mechanic helping me out) to determine we have an unsettled car at 90mph+ due to too much front downforce.

I would try the car with a little less caster and a touch of toe and test it (maybe go to 1.9 camber). If you are still getting that unsettled feeling start asking around.

OP
OP
Scooter MGee

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
This is in no way a track car. Strictly a fun street vehicle. I don't have camber/caster plates, just camber bolts on the front.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Tires are fine. Conti DWS6+ 285/35/19 square with very good tread. Did the same thing with Firehawk Indy 500's. It's mid corner that sometimes gets squirrelly. Nothing to major. Just have to be mindful and use the throttle judiciously on corner exit.
Yeah, the car has 400+hp so you have to be a little careful with the fun pedal. Thats the main reason why I don't run in sport or track modes as they just make the throttle pedal too sensitive.

The best thing you can probably do is bigger aftermarket front swaybar. It will change the mid corner balance and make it easier to keep the rear planted when exiting corners.

OP
OP
Scooter MGee

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
OK, now contemplating the 1-3/8" front adj. Steeda bar since all my other suspension parts are theirs.

slowdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2021 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation Duramax
This is in no way a track car. Strictly a fun street vehicle. I don't have camber/caster plates, just camber bolts on the front.
Of course - but you asked how alignment settings could affect this right?

Two common ways to correct oversteer. 1. Front Toe and 2. Stiffer Front Sway Bar (or soften rear sway)

That is why I suggested a little toe first.

I think it would be careless to add a mod that can upset the car prior to seeing the effects of 0.02 to 0.04 toe and slight adjustments in tire pressure.

OP
OP
Scooter MGee

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I haven't had time to even work on the care so it's all still up in the air. I plan to install the front bar when I swap out the left front strut. When I bring the car in for the alignment I will also have the toe manipulated.
Sponsored