Sponsored

Still Have Warranty, but should I do a Tune?

Edgemere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Edge
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Greetings,

I have a 2022 Mustang GT Premium with a manual transmission. I have completely upgraded my entire suspension and love it. My car has 17 months bumper to bumper warranty left, and 41 months engine and transmission warranty left. Should I do a tune? I want a bit more out of my Mustang, but I do not want to go overboard. I am really not interested in a CAI either. I did remove the carbon trap filter already and I did a x-pipe resonator delete. What is a good tune to do and is it worth risking my warranty? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.............
Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I did. Tuned mine a few weeks ago at 17K miles with over a year left on warranty. It was a risk vs reward thing for me. Wengerd Performance all the way, he is a guru on Coyote tuning... Also did Long Tubes and a JLT intake :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Tunes are nice, but you have to assume the possibility of having to pay for repairs to the engine, transmission and rear end, that would normally be handled under warranty.

Sponsored

JOKER M1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium (SOLD)
Just a thought, you could go part way and run E30 blend till warranty runs out. Little extra work calculating and adding 2 different fuels but the reward over risk for now sounds better. Thats my plan this season.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you’re taking the risk, always have the cash set aside to cover the “when”, because it’s not “if” it’s “when” something goes south…

Also with any major warranty work (such as engine failures), Ford is aware of tunes and how to check if they existed or not - as well as other tell tale signs of why any engine may have failed. In recent years they have been cracking down on questionable warranty repairs

Figure if the engine goes, have at least a minimum of $10k-$12k funds available - and that’s if you have to have a dealership do the entire R&R.

Your car, your money, your choice to tune or not.

jpjr501

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - Procharged
My car is a 2020 with 6,700 miles and was heavily modified right out of the gate. Some people wait and some don't. Totally up to you at this point.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a thought, you could go part way and run E30 blend till warranty runs out. Little extra work calculating and adding 2 different fuels but the reward over risk for now sounds better. Thats my plan this season.
Couldn't they deny your warranty for running > E10 or E15 or whatever it says in the owners manual?

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If they want to be a$$holes anything is possible.

Sponsored

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If anything goes sideways on your engine your own with the repair bill.
on a natrually aspirated GT with a manual transmission getting a basic 93 tune this is highly unlikely to happen.

If you are concerned, like genuinely concerned get some suspension mods

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on the dealership you intend to take it too for warranty work if its ever needed -

My car was tuned at 18 miles - had a trans replaced at 5k miles...then again at 11k miles....and again at 22k miles.

2nd replacement it was "FBO" (Headers/Exhaust/CAI/Tune)

3rd replacement it had nitrous installed.

After that I swapped a Magnum XL in.

All depends on the service advisor that's doing your right up in my experience :)

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My car was tuned at 18 miles - had a trans replaced at 5k miles...then again at 11k miles....and again at 22k miles.
Wow, 3 transmissions.

Either the tune sucks or you beat the shit out of the car.
If I was Ford I would have denied your warranty.

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, 3 transmissions.

Either the tune sucks or you beat the shit out of the car.
If I was Ford I would have denied your warranty.
It was an MT-82 car - and among the first off the assembly line - the tune had absolutely nothing to do with it, nor did my driving/"beating the shit out of it".

Every transmission was covered under warranty as there was a currently known problem with the forming of the shift forks and improper castings (Hence the TSB that was put out and the revision to the transmission in the 2019 year).

There was also a class action lawsuit settled against Ford for the exact issue.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Every transmission was covered under warranty as there was a currently known problem with the forming of the shift forks and improper castings (Hence the TSB that was put out and the revision to the transmission in the 2019 year).

There was also a class action lawsuit settled against Ford for the exact issue.
Maybe I'm wrong......
Sponsored