Steering Issue/Steering Modes/Losing Control

R5L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Hello All, I am growing concerned about a steering issue thats been happening with my '16 eco, 19k miles. This has been happening more and more often recently and I wanted to see if some people on here may have any insight on what might be going on. This is kinda difficult to explain but I will do my best. When I am driving, and the front wheel on either side goes into a rut in the road or hits a small bump or if the road changes height at all on one side compared to another, the front axle/both wheels and steering wheel just aggressively go into that direction and the car just starts going in directions I am not trying to go because of the ruts or road changes and I cannot understand whats happening. This will happen at all speeds, highway or regular street. I also have a '05 accord and it doesn't even succumb to these ruts or bumps this badly. Basically, I will be driving, one of the wheels will catch into a rut or lowered strip of roadway and both front wheels will quickly move in that new direction, same with steering wheel and its like the car is trying to drive me off the road. This will happen back and forth back and forth from side to side until it gets to the point that i am just constantly correcting the steering to keep me straight or gripping the wheel so tight as to not let it move from straight on. This issue gets worse with different steering modes, for example with comfort mode it is the worst as the wheel is so loose it just goes swinging around at any little bump or rut, and gets more and more stiff and reliable with stiffer steering. If any one can provide any insight that would be very helpful. Thank you.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hello All, I am growing concerned about a steering issue thats been happening with my '16 eco, 19k miles. This has been happening more and more often recently and I wanted to see if some people on here may have any insight on what might be going on. This is kinda difficult to explain but I will do my best. When I am driving, and the front wheel on either side goes into a rut in the road or hits a small bump or if the road changes height at all on one side compared to another, the front axle/both wheels and steering wheel just aggressively go into that direction and the car just starts going in directions I am not trying to go because of the ruts or road changes and I cannot understand whats happening. This will happen at all speeds, highway or regular street. I also have a '05 accord and it doesn't even succumb to these ruts or bumps this badly. Basically, I will be driving, one of the wheels will catch into a rut or lowered strip of roadway and both front wheels will quickly move in that new direction, same with steering wheel and its like the car is trying to drive me off the road. This will happen back and forth back and forth from side to side until it gets to the point that i am just constantly correcting the steering to keep me straight or gripping the wheel so tight as to not let it move from straight on. This issue gets worse with different steering modes, for example with comfort mode it is the worst as the wheel is so loose it just goes swinging around at any little bump or rut, and gets more and more stiff and reliable with stiffer steering. If any one can provide any insight that would be very helpful. Thank you.
I cannot tell you what your problem is but I can tell you it appears to be an unsafe issue. Get it to a dealer or an independent shop ASAP. Stop driving it until you can. It's not worth getting into an accident.

OP
OP

R5L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I cannot tell you what your problem is but I can tell you it appears to be an unsafe issue. Get it to a dealer or an independent shop ASAP. Stop driving it until you can. It's not worth getting into an accident.
Yes, agreed. Taking it to dealer this week to get it checked out. Spoke with some friends and my best guess is front alignment being off, but wanted to see if anyone had run into an issue like this before.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Yes, agreed. Taking it to dealer this week to get it checked out. Spoke with some friends and my best guess is front alignment being off, but wanted to see if anyone had run into an issue like this before.
I certainly hope it is nothing more than alignment but that's not what you're describing. I've had what you're describing in the past (not on my Mustang) and it was suspension damage.

Reactions: R5L

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There are many things it could be but the first is always alignment. Tow out will cause the car to basically hyperactively want to turn.

If it’s this bad I would guess damage to the front suspension. Could be a simple ball joint.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Three things come to mind.
First, what condition are the tires/tread in? When my tires were worn it seemed like the steering was pulls around a lot by road conditions. New tires fixed 95% of that.
Next would be something in the suspension/ steering/ alignment.
Lastly would be the steering rack and pinion itself. It's electric and can get squirrelly/ hard to control/ just plain hard - like a failing power steering pump.
I agree though, take it in and get it looked at.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check tire pressure (when cold) and make sure it’s at the recommmeded psi per the VCL label on driver side B-pillar.

If your tires are excessively worn they will tramline more over road imperfections than new tires.

Get the alignment checked: a bad alignment will cause all sorts of steering issues.

Check the front wheel bearings and make sure they’re not in need of replacement (check back ones too). Bad wheel bearings can cause poor handling.

Lastly, here’s all the S550 EPAS info you could possibly need:

Aside from the EPAS rack being damaged either externally or internally, that rack not only has a motor inside of it, but also circuit board and an actual rubber belt. The rubber belt is serviceable. So if the motor or circuit board isn’t damaged, it could be a simple broken belt or the belt jumped off the cogged gear from the impact. See here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/help-identifying-eps-belt-size.127584/#post-2642940

Yes, there is an internal power steering belt (most do not even know it exists). Above link contains pics and belt sizing info.

——
Here’s some other helpful links I had posted on this site in another thread regarding locked EPAS units; last post update in this thread says the OP found there was a loose connection in a harness which had created a fault (no steering).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ower-in-their-steering-while-on-track.127352/

This one touches on corroded battery cables leading to malfunctioning EPAS:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/need-to-replace-my-rack.132063/#post-2724002

This thread has good troubleshooting info if needed:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...king-help-from-a-tech-ideas-on-causes.120707/

This thread has some insight to what is involved with removing the rack for repair effort:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/need-help-steering-rack-replacement.129096/

This thread has some excellent TECH repair and photos of the EPAS with it apart and where the EPAS circuitry is located; thread also discusses FORSCAN flashes:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ategies-calibrations-vbf.112549/#post-2611462

OP
OP

R5L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
I certainly hope it is nothing more than alignment but that's not what you're describing. I've had what you're describing in the past (not on my Mustang) and it was suspension damage.
yikes well i hope not, only 19k miles and haven't hit any huge bumps that I can recall. We will see though.

OP
OP

R5L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
There are many things it could be but the first is always alignment. Tow out will cause the car to basically hyperactively want to turn.

If it’s this bad I would guess damage to the front suspension. Could be a simple ball joint.
thank you for the info, taking to mechanic I trust next week. Avoiding dealership because the local one sucks and I don't trust their diagnostic skills.

OP
OP

R5L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Three things come to mind.
First, what condition are the tires/tread in? When my tires were worn it seemed like the steering was pulls around a lot by road conditions. New tires fixed 95% of that.
Next would be something in the suspension/ steering/ alignment.
Lastly would be the steering rack and pinion itself. It's electric and can get squirrelly/ hard to control/ just plain hard - like a failing power steering pump.
I agree though, take it in and get it looked at.
Tires are in great condition. They are Pirelli P Zero Neros, should only have about 9-10k miles on them as I got them from another mustang guy. Taking it in next week. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored
OP
OP

R5L

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Check tire pressure (when cold) and make sure it’s at the recommmeded psi per the VCL label on driver side B-pillar.

If your tires are excessively worn they will tramline more over road imperfections than new tires.

Get the alignment checked: a bad alignment will cause all sorts of steering issues.

Check the front wheel bearings and make sure they’re not in need of replacement (check back ones too). Bad wheel bearings can cause poor handling.

Lastly, here’s all the S550 EPAS info you could possibly need:

Aside from the EPAS rack being damaged either externally or internally, that rack not only has a motor inside of it, but also circuit board and an actual rubber belt. The rubber belt is serviceable. So if the motor or circuit board isn’t damaged, it could be a simple broken belt or the belt jumped off the cogged gear from the impact. See here:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/help-identifying-eps-belt-size.127584/#post-2642940

Yes, there is an internal power steering belt (most do not even know it exists). Above link contains pics and belt sizing info.

——
Here’s some other helpful links I had posted on this site in another thread regarding locked EPAS units; last post update in this thread says the OP found there was a loose connection in a harness which had created a fault (no steering).

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ower-in-their-steering-while-on-track.127352/

This one touches on corroded battery cables leading to malfunctioning EPAS:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/need-to-replace-my-rack.132063/#post-2724002

This thread has good troubleshooting info if needed:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...king-help-from-a-tech-ideas-on-causes.120707/

This thread has some insight to what is involved with removing the rack for repair effort:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/need-help-steering-rack-replacement.129096/

This thread has some excellent TECH repair and photos of the EPAS with it apart and where the EPAS circuitry is located; thread also discusses FORSCAN flashes:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...ategies-calibrations-vbf.112549/#post-2611462
Wow, ton of great info thanks a lot. Just checked my tire pressure cold, ranged from 31-32 which is what the VCL label said. tires are not worn down, should only have 9-10k miles on them. Taking to trusted mechanic next week and will have alignment checked first to see if thats the simple issue. I just had to replace a driver side wheel bearing on my 2005 honda, and I only noticed it because it was making noise at higher speeds, but i dont hear anything like that on my mustang, wonder if it could be bad and not be producing a sound. One thing that I am curious about though, my mustang came with 235/50R18 stock wheels and tires, and I ended up buying the black accent package wheels and tires from someone selling them off their 2019 mustang, only with 6k miles on them. Now, the specs for those wheels/tires are 255/40ZR19. I mean its just 1 inch larger of a wheel and it was stock from a mustang so I figured I should be fine. Now I am curious if this could cause an issue like whats happening. Ive had the wheels on since April and didnt notice this happening until probably 1 month ago so idk. Think the wheels could be an issue?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Wow, ton of great info thanks a lot. Just checked my tire pressure cold, ranged from 31-32 which is what the VCL label said. tires are not worn down, should only have 9-10k miles on them. Taking to trusted mechanic next week and will have alignment checked first to see if thats the simple issue. I just had to replace a driver side wheel bearing on my 2005 honda, and I only noticed it because it was making noise at higher speeds, but i dont hear anything like that on my mustang, wonder if it could be bad and not be producing a sound. One thing that I am curious about though, my mustang came with 235/50R18 stock wheels and tires, and I ended up buying the black accent package wheels and tires from someone selling them off their 2019 mustang, only with 6k miles on them. Now, the specs for those wheels/tires are 255/40ZR19. I mean its just 1 inch larger of a wheel and it was stock from a mustang so I figured I should be fine. Now I am curious if this could cause an issue like whats happening. Ive had the wheels on since April and didnt notice this happening until probably 1 month ago so idk. Think the wheels could be an issue?
Not if your problems didn't start the day you put them on. Then again maybe you lost some balance weights that could be a contributing factor. Doesn't matter as we are all just guessing. You will get your answer when the car goes up on the lift.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
All S550 Mustang factory fitment wheel/tire options should have pretty much the same overall diameter, so that's not an issue at all.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
How wide are your tures?
Sponsored