Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 35 lb/in - Now Available!

S550BackInBlack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium, Performance Pack, 6MT
I just installed my new steeda spring and it's perfect! I removed my spring assembly about 8 months ago and loved the way it drove with no spring. The feeling felt natural and perfect. I didn't want to loose the natural feeling when installing this spring but I love it! You can hardly tell a difference between no spring and the steeda one. BUT the benefit of using the steeda spring ensures that the pedal will always retract fully and keep from causing any premature slave cylinder or release bearing wear. Thanks steeda, like all the suspension products I have bought from you guys, this is top notch as well!
Sponsored

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I just installed my new steeda spring and it's perfect! I removed my spring assembly about 8 months ago and loved the way it drove with no spring. The feeling felt natural and perfect. I didn't want to loose the natural feeling when installing this spring but I love it! You can hardly tell a difference between no spring and the steeda one. BUT the benefit of using the steeda spring ensures that the pedal will always retract fully and keep from causing any premature slave cylinder or release bearing wear. Thanks steeda, like all the suspension products I have bought from you guys, this is top notch as well!
Fantastic review, thanks for sharing and enjoy!

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
just ordered mine yesterday.. ive been doing the no spring for a few weeks now .. just bought the car so. and the clutch felt crappy with the stock spring.. give this a try .. i do like having no spring feel wise

Sponsored

5lette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Manual
Installed mine today

I purchased one of the Steeda springs because of this thread. Really for peace of mind that I was not doing damage to the clutch long term by removing the factory spring.

Installation was a snap. Took about the same amount of time as it does for the power seat to motor back so you can get down under the steering wheel column.

I did not feel the weight of the clutch was objectionable without the factory spring. However, the difference with the Steeda spring installed sort of feels like going from sport to normal on the steering mode and even that might be over stating the difference. You are still able to easily modulate the clutch as if the spring was removed. I like many other posts was not able to smoothly shift with the factory spring installed without much focus on what I was doing. None of that is a problem with the Steeda spring. I do feel like they came up with a good compromise to address the drive ability issue and still protect the mechanics of the clutch.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I purchased one of the Steeda springs because of this thread. Really for peace of mind that I was not doing damage to the clutch long term by removing the factory spring.

Installation was a snap. Took about the same amount of time as it does for the power seat to motor back so you can get down under the steering wheel column.

I did not feel the weight of the clutch was objectionable without the factory spring. However, the difference with the Steeda spring installed sort of feels like going from sport to normal on the steering mode and even that might be over stating the difference. You are still able to easily modulate the clutch as if the spring was removed. I like many other posts was not able to smoothly shift with the factory spring installed without much focus on what I was doing. None of that is a problem with the Steeda spring. I do feel like they came up with a good compromise to address the drive ability issue and still protect the mechanics of the clutch.
Glad you're liking the clutch spring, thanks so much for sharing!

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Yup ordered mine yesterday with bunch of other steeda goodies. My car is 90% steeda suspension parts. I also ordered the steeda black windshield banner.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Yup ordered mine yesterday with bunch of other steeda goodies. My car is 90% steeda suspension parts. I also ordered the steeda black windshield banner.
Now this is what we like to hear! Can't wait! :thumbsup:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
i got my spring in. definitely getting used to it. can't just use my toes in flips flops. gotta use my foot now lol.

Sponsored

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've got mine sitting at home ready to go. Reading this i see a couple of you have snapped some plastic bit when removing the stock spring. I'm quite worried now, I have needle nose pliers but I'm still concerned, my luck with modding cars usually ends in disaster. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Boosted5.0_NY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ Performance Package
Shortly after purchasing my car in September '15 and struggling with the feel of the clutch pedal I read about the removal of the clutch spring and how it improved the feel of engagement/disengagement of the clutch. I also read that removal of the spring could lead to issues with the slave cylinder and a lot of people were saying it was just a matter of getting used to the clutch - they said the best thing to do was drive the car which will then improve muscle memory. :crazy:

Based on this I decided to wait and hope I just got used to it. :doh: Well, it has been about 9 months, I have spent 110 hours in the drivers seat, drove approximately 5,000 miles, and still could not get use to the feel of the clutch. Out of frustration I finally ordered the Steeda spring yesterday and when I got home I decided to pull the stock spring so I could get a feel driving the car with no spring and then compare that to driving with the Steeda spring once it arrives. The stock spring came out in all of 2 minutes with no damage to any of the plastic pieces, I just clamped it as shown in the video with needle nose vice grips and popped it right out.

So, I drove to work today and decided to share my initial thoughts of clutch pedal feel with no spring. Bottom line - If I would have known what a dramatic difference it made I would have removed the spring in the dealers parking lot the day I picked up the car! I struggled with crappy launches and neck jerking 1-2 shifts for 9 months, once I pulled the spring I was driving like a champ within minutes.

Is the clutch a little heavier, yes it is, but no heavier than my '89 GT. My car is not a DD but even if it was I would rather deal with the heavy clutch instead of the lifeless feel of the stock setup. I will also say that my pedal is all the way up and there is no play or slop that has me concerned about doing any damage to the slave cylinder.

Once the Steeda spring arrives I will install it and hope all it does is make the pedal a little lighter because I really like the way it feels right now... :headbang:

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Patiently waiting for mine to get here Friday. Does anyone have the link to install?or is it in this thread somewhere? Lol

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Shortly after purchasing my car in September '15 and struggling with the feel of the clutch pedal I read about the removal of the clutch spring and how it improved the feel of engagement/disengagement of the clutch. I also read that removal of the spring could lead to issues with the slave cylinder and a lot of people were saying it was just a matter of getting used to the clutch - they said the best thing to do was drive the car which will then improve muscle memory. :crazy:

Based on this I decided to wait and hope I just got used to it. :doh: Well, it has been about 9 months, I have spent 110 hours in the drivers seat, drove approximately 5,000 miles, and still could not get use to the feel of the clutch. Out of frustration I finally ordered the Steeda spring yesterday and when I got home I decided to pull the stock spring so I could get a feel driving the car with no spring and then compare that to driving with the Steeda spring once it arrives. The stock spring came out in all of 2 minutes with no damage to any of the plastic pieces, I just clamped it as shown in the video with needle nose vice grips and popped it right out.

So, I drove to work today and decided to share my initial thoughts of clutch pedal feel with no spring. Bottom line - If I would have known what a dramatic difference it made I would have removed the spring in the dealers parking lot the day I picked up the car! I struggled with crappy launches and neck jerking 1-2 shifts for 9 months, once I pulled the spring I was driving like a champ within minutes.

Is the clutch a little heavier, yes it is, but no heavier than my '89 GT. My car is not a DD but even if it was I would rather deal with the heavy clutch instead of the lifeless feel of the stock setup. I will also say that my pedal is all the way up and there is no play or slop that has me concerned about doing any damage to the slave cylinder.

Once the Steeda spring arrives I will install it and hope all it does is make the pedal a little lighter because I really like the way it feels right now... :headbang:
Awesome! Do you have a link to the video you are referring to?

Thanks!

Miglo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/ PP 401A NAV in DIB
Patiently waiting for mine to get here Friday. Does anyone have the link to install?or is it in this thread somewhere? Lol
It comes with instructions! Just make sure you have long nose vise grips...

Sponsored