Sponsored

Steeda's S550 Mustang Clutch Spring Assist 35 lb/in - Now Available!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I put mine in last weekend, and this has DEFINITELY made the car better to drive. The clutch is more engaging, has more feel, and feels almost exactly like my S197's TR-3650 clutch, which I loved.

This is a great mod!

JR

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Personally, I would prefer to have a spring like this instead of having nothing at all. I may have one dropped in the box when I get around to ordering IRS bushings from you guys. This has me interested. Is damaging the slave cylinder the single risk to running "springless" or could there be other problems? Didn't the S197 have issues with the return spring?

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I put mine in last weekend, and this has DEFINITELY made the car better to drive. The clutch is more engaging, has more feel, and feels almost exactly like my S197's TR-3650 clutch, which I loved.

This is a great mod!

JR
Happy to hear!!

Personally, I would prefer to have a spring like this instead of having nothing at all. I may have one dropped in the box when I get around to ordering IRS bushings from you guys. This has me interested. Is damaging the slave cylinder the single risk to running "springless" or could there be other problems? Didn't the S197 have issues with the return spring?
Sounds good, sir! Ready when you are!

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered. Can't wait to see what it does. Cheap enough to try, and it was free shipping since I ordered it with the IRS bushing kit.

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I got mine last week. Been busy and have not installed it yet. Looking forward to the improved pedal feel and engagement.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
Got the Steeda spring. Turns out I do know how to drive a stick.
:)

I got mine last week. Been busy and have not installed it yet. Looking forward to the improved pedal feel and engagement.
Ordered. Can't wait to see what it does. Cheap enough to try, and it was free shipping since I ordered it with the IRS bushing kit.
Nice, looking forward to your feedback!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This spring took all of 5 minutes to install (Adjust the seat all the way back to have more room to work). I am a little surprised that the factory parts holding the original heavy spring are a thermoplastic of some sort and not metal. Therefore I was gentle to work with the assembly in a linear fashion (as it operates), and not pulling it from the side. I probably have average grip strength, so on reinstallation I simply compressed the new spring by hand and popped the assembly back in.

As others have said the spring is in compression when sitting in the return position and not in extension as one might think. My impression is this spring is more for pedal effort than anything else. the pedal still moves past the break over point as before. Pedal effort doesn't seem to be difficult, though I do feel a bit of a difference. Haven't driven it yet, as it is raining here. Can't wait to get on the road, and I will post impressions.

Sponsored
OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
This spring took all of 5 minutes to install (Adjust the seat all the way back to have more room to work). I am a little surprised that the factory parts holding the original heavy spring are a thermoplastic of some sort and not metal. Therefore I was gentle to work with the assembly in a linear fashion (as it operates), and not pulling it from the side. I probably have average grip strength, so on reinstallation I simply compressed the new spring by hand and popped the assembly back in.

As others have said the spring is in compression when sitting in the return position and not in extension as one might think. My impression is this spring is more for pedal effort than anything else. the pedal still moves past the break over point as before. Pedal effort doesn't seem to be difficult, though I do feel a bit of a difference. Haven't driven it yet, as it is raining here. Can't wait to get on the road, and I will post impressions.

Thanks for providing initial feedback!

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
After driving with the 35 lb spring I don't find the pedal effort to be a problem at all. Shifting gears, I do find the engagement point to be a bit more defined but not life-changing. That may be because I've had 9 months to get used to the old spring.

However, I like it and plan on keeping it in there. It's worth the $10.

DeepImpactGTny

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Deep Impact Blue MT PP
Anybody know the part number for plastic piece holding the spring. I snapped mine removing the factory spring.

OP
OP
David@Steeda

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
After driving with the 35 lb spring I don't find the pedal effort to be a problem at all. Shifting gears, I do find the engagement point to be a bit more defined but not life-changing. That may be because I've had 9 months to get used to the old spring.

However, I like it and plan on keeping it in there. It's worth the $10.
Thanks for posting!

LETHAL

From the D but in the NC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody know the part number for plastic piece holding the spring. I snapped mine removing the factory spring.
Yeah, me too. Apparently these pieces are needles in haystacks.
Sponsored