Sponsored

Steeda's New S550 Mustang Front Control Arms (Lateral and Tension Link)

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sorry, that's what i meant
Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
What effect might someone feel with this as a street driver?

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I just spoke with Steeda today about this because the way they rolled out these new parts at different times made it confusing. They should have all been released at once. According to them, if you want to take full advantage of reducing the front roll center then you should purchase both the lateral links and tension links with the extended ball joints. A bumpsteer kit along with that is a good idea. I'm lowered on coilovers and hit the road courses in my car so I needed this setup.

I had purchased the tension links with the newer bearings plus the bumpsteer kit earlier and was going to install it tomorrow. I then discovered (thanks [MENTION=21494]wildcatgoal[/MENTION]) that they had the lateral links as well. So I placed a call to discuss the parts and then ordered the lateral links.

You may want to give them a call and discuss what you want to accomplish. Going with one part but not the other doesn't make sense to me.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think Steeda needs a better description on their website, and need to clear up what they all do, because what i'm understanding is that only the lateral links have the raised ball stud.

So, for me, for example. I don't want bearings in the tension links. I want to retain the OEM bushing in the tension link and the OEM PP bearing in the lateral link, but want the roll centre adjustment.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I think Steeda needs a better description on their website, and need to clear up what they all do, because what i'm understanding is that only the lateral links have the raised ball stud.

So, for me, for example. I don't want bearings in the tension links. I want to retain the OEM bushing in the tension link
and the OEM PP bearing in the lateral link, but want the roll centre adjustment.
Outside of cost, why? Those that have installed the tension links with bearings report only positive changes to steering feel and response. No noticeable NVH or harshness.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Cost is one aspect, but not the main reason.
I'm pretty anal about NVH, and even though people say no noticeable NVH, lots of small/barely noticeable NVH increases, eventually add to large NVH increases. So, for now, i would like to improve the handling of the car without sacrificing any NVH. After that i will start swapping out bushings until i reach my limit of NVH.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Cost is one aspect, but not the main reason.
I'm pretty anal about NVH, and even though people say no noticeable NVH, lots of small/barely noticeable NVH increases, eventually add to large NVH increases. So, for now, i would like to improve the handling of the car without sacrificing any NVH. After that i will start swapping out bushings until i reach my limit of NVH.
That's fair and I'm the same way. I've only added H to my car but is unavoidable when you go stiffer overall on suspension. If you plan mods carefully you can avoid or limit NVH and still eat your cake. The tension link is not responsible for much transient load transfer into the body, outside of lateral loads, so I believe those that say they haven't noticed anything. I have a set of them with bearings in my garage that I just have to make time to install.

Fwiw, the PP lateral links also don't have an NVH impact. The base cars were given bushings for cost reasons. The bearings wouldn't be there if they didn't make a handling feel or performance improvement.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Yes, but they use that same description on the other two arm options they have, yet the pictures don't show any raised studs. Only the lateral links show pictures of raised studs.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SteedaTech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Yes, but they use that same description on the other two arm options they have, yet the pictures don't show any raised studs. Only the lateral links show pictures of raised studs.
Thank you! We have corrected the description.

Steeda tech

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
K correct anything I have wrong here.. I have a base suspension GT and was going to upgrade to the front PP lateral/tension links but these seem to be a better option. Just want to make sure I have all this right.

So the tension links (with brake deflector) can come with a bushing or a bearing and have regular ball stud heights? Anything different from these tension links vs a PP besides the bearing option?

The tension link with the bearing won't create any NVH or negative effects? The only difference will be cost / increased handling?

The lateral links are only offered with a bearing and have a raised ball stud. Any differences from these vs a PP besides the raised ball stud?

If i'm installing these arms on a car lowered less than 1 inch that is currently using base/pp links and doesn't currently have any bumpsteer is the bumpsteer kit even needed? Will these induce bumpsteer or cause any unwanted effect in this situation?

Thanks!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
K correct anything I have wrong here.. I have a base suspension GT and was going to upgrade to the front PP lateral/tension links but these seem to be a better option. Just want to make sure I have all this right.

So the tension links (with brake deflector) can come with a bushing or a bearing and have regular ball stud heights? Anything different from these tension links vs a PP besides the bearing option?

The tension link with the bearing won't create any NVH or negative effects? The only difference will be cost / increased handling?

The lateral links are only offered with a bearing and have a raised ball stud. Any differences from these vs a PP besides the raised ball stud?

If i'm installing these arms on a car lowered less than 1 inch that is currently using base/pp links and doesn't currently have any bumpsteer is the bumpsteer kit even needed? Will these induce bumpsteer or cause any unwanted effect in this situation?

Thanks!
There is some NVH associated with going to the tension link with bearings. Minor and mostly on rough roads, but it's there. They should reduce bumpsteer with the longer stud height on a lowered car. I also do not have noticeable bumpsteer on my car and I'm lowered about 0.7" in the front only.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT

So, for me, for example. I don't want bearings in the tension links. I want to retain the OEM bushing in the tension link and the OEM PP bearing in the lateral link, but want the roll centre adjustment.
Same. This is what I want as well. The same as the PP lateral/tension link with the roll center adjustment.

I don't have bumpsteer so I don't need the extended ball studs. But I don't see steeda offering a PP equivalent lateral link for us base suspension guys.

Tension link with bushing + roll center correction

Lateral link with PP bearing and regular length ball studs

Any chance of steeda offering something like this? It would be perfect for base suspension guys and people without bumpsteer.

Same as the PP arms but with roll center correction added to the tension link.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Same. This is what I want as well. The same as the PP lateral/tension link with the roll center adjustment.

I don't have bumpsteer so I don't need the extended ball studs. But I don't see steeda offering a PP equivalent lateral link for us base suspension guys.

Tension link with bushing + roll center correction

Lateral link with PP bearing and regular length ball studs

Any chance of steeda offering something like this? It would be perfect for base suspension guys and people without bumpsteer.

Same as the PP arms but with roll center correction added to the tension link.
You can buy these new easily or good condition (and cheap) take off on ebay.
Sponsored