Steeda Tri-ax ST Race Shifter question

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just finished installing my Steeda Tri-ax race shifter in my Bullitt and although it was time consuming (removed exhaust, driveshaft and lowered transmission a few inches), the install was fairly straightforward, with the exception of installing the factory rubber shifter boot. I watched the CJ Pony install on this shifter and it appears that the boot used in their demonstration car is either different than the one that came on my car, or they cut the boot to make it fit. As it stands now, there is no way this stock rubber boot can be stretched over the Steeda shifter and tucked back into the oval home to seal it like it was before I began the install. Can anyone shed some light on how to get this done? Hereā€™s a pic of my shifter and boot for reference. Thanks

atS6Uh6.jpg

k4tdqng.jpg

yFSFRSGl.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Since I started this thread, I might as well post some more pics from my install. Who knows, they may help someone down the line. The more I think about it, Iā€™ll bet FORD changed the rubber boot on the 2018 and up Mustang to help combat NVH even more, as the bottom ting on my boot is very thick (at least 1/4ā€). FWIW, although there were no torque values listed in the instructions, I did torque my screws down using the following specs with blue Loctite.

96 in-lb on screws for the shifter cover, tail cap and slide rail pin bolt
120 in-lb on two large bolts for the arm to shifter base and arm to transmission

aFyeiDGl.jpg

QhdZvfpl.jpg

jYtUJvLl.jpg

Sy0VE5Ll.jpg

r7jnVGml.jpg

qBSTH4Nl.jpg

cb3pA5fl.jpg

rTDB34Yl.jpg

Last edited:

MrTej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP MT
Curious if you got this resolved or if you contacted Steeda for their suggestions. I have the Steeda street short throw shifter and transmission bushing installed currently, and recently Iā€™ve had a couple ā€œhigh rpm lockoutā€ issues. Iā€™m wondering if upgrading to the race shifter would help with that, but mines an ā€˜18 GT and Iā€™m concerned Iā€™ll have the same issue as you. Thanks!

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Curious if you got this resolved or if you contacted Steeda for their suggestions. I have the Steeda street short throw shifter and transmission bushing installed currently, and recently Iā€™ve had a couple ā€œhigh rpm lockoutā€ issues. Iā€™m wondering if upgrading to the race shifter would help with that, but mines an ā€˜18 GT and Iā€™m concerned Iā€™ll have the same issue as you. Thanks!
Hi MrTej,

I ended up cutting my factory boot and it now fits perfectly around the shifter base. There is still an opening around the shifter where you can see the street or garage floor before installing the inner boot. I havenā€™t installed the supplied Dynamat yet Which can be used to cover the upending. The only other option is, to buy a 15-17 GT inner boot and transmission tunnel gasket which appear to be two separate pieces, as opposed to the stock 18-20 one piece design.

frestylmotox01

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1, 18 F150 Lariat
I ran in to the same issue, however, I just left the boot off all together because I didn't want to cut it up. There is a little more NVH, but the trade off for the feeling of the shifter was totally worth it.

This was my favorite mod so far, really changed the feel of the car for me.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

Can you email me at tim@steeda & let me know if you have the shifter support bracket or not?

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
NGOT8R

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I ran in to the same issue, however, I just left the boot off all together because I didn't want to cut it up. There is a little more NVH, but the trade off for the feeling of the shifter was totally worth it.

This was my favorite mod so far, really changed the feel of the car for me.
How loud is your NVH on a scale of 1-10? Mine turned out nice after cutting it. I also applied a little extra Dynamat around the shifter opening and modified boot before reinstalling the factory sound deadening piece.
0A4946E0-E0AB-42AC-944C-331D0249E708.jpeg
41DCE750-870E-4E68-80E4-F06618475304.jpeg
Sponsored