Educate me: Steeda Tri-Ax shifter - street vs race

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord 2005. 2019 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
I am the new owner of a '19 GT PP1 and am looking for what can be done to smooth out the notchy shifting between 1 and 2. Many people have posted about using a short throw shifter that made a huge difference compared to the stock shifter.

So my question is what is the difference between the race version and the street version of the Tri-Ax shifter from a feel/smoothness point of view. Can one (without knowing in advance what is installed) tell the difference? My driving is limited mostly to spirited driving on local streets and highways around the MD/DC/VA area and it is unlikely I'll be doing track time.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My driving is limited mostly to spirited driving on local streets and highways around the MD/DC/VA area and it is unlikely I'll be doing track time.
such a shame! Shenny/Summit is a mere 80 minutes away, my good man and there must be a half dozen forum members in your immediate vicinity who visit the track.

The issue has a few factors:
1. still new
2. change the trans fluid
3. install Steeda shifter support bracket and/or trans bushing

You're welcome to come my way Springfield/Tysons and contrast against mine, or I can come your way for an afternoon of play around Thurmont.

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
such a shame! Shenny/Summit is a mere 80 minutes away,
You're welcome to come my way Springfield/Tysons and contrast against mine, or I can come your way for an afternoon of play around Thurmont.
I think I'll wait a few months to break in the new car and then see how it feels.
Thanks for the offer to compare and contrast with yours. I'll let you know when I am in that neck of the woods!

Count Drunkula

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
The issue has a few factors:
1. still new
2. change the trans fluid
3. install Steeda shifter support bracket and/or trans bushing
This is true. I put a Boomba assembley bracket on mine and swapped out the factory fluid for Motul Multi DCTF and the shift is a LOT better. I also added a weighted shift knob, which also helps a bit, but the fluid and the bracket are the way to go.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the Steeda Tri Ax shifter(the whole unit, not just the lever), Steeda trans mount bushing, Latheworks knob and BG transmission fluid in my 19. Made it shift very smooth.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Chola

Chola

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rajarajan
Vehicle(s)
I installed the Steeda Tri Ax shifter(the whole unit, not just the lever), Steeda trans mount bushing, Latheworks knob and BG transmission fluid in my 19. Made it shift very smooth.
I guess you are referring to the race shifter as the street shifter only seems to have the lever. This is not a trivial upgrade to a brand new car - thought no one is forcing me to do so.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I guess you are referring to the race shifter as the street shifter only seems to have the lever. This is not a trivial upgrade to a brand new car - thought no one is forcing me to do so.
Yes, I have the Race shifter. (Back when I bought it, it was just referred to as the Tri Ax.)

jasduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package PP-3
Did all this plus the clutch line on my 17 GT and mine it much improved!

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Vs.

Sponsored