SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Disclaimer:
I am picky and my mods tend to be geared towards addressing things I feel the OEM missed, or capturing low hanging fruit with little to no downside. My wife and I both drive the car so it needs keep a certain level of refinement. That being said I look for things with OE fit and finish or better. My days of brash loud high horsepower cars are over. I’ve also not used any other CAI except on an FI car so I can’t compare. Just a disclaimer as to why my review might be a little different than some others.

Pros-
Love the billet MAF housing
Big beefy air cleaner.
It seals well against the hood. IAT seems very stable.
Easy to install (except the hood seal). My wife actually did most of the work.
Can’t comment on power because I installed a Lund tune at the same time but the combo certainly produces!
Drivability from the combo as good or better than stock

Cons-
Although the billet PVC connections look nice in pictures I would prefer connections molded into the elbow. The grommet to nipple connection isn’t the tightest, and although unlikely could be a leak point. I may actually hit them with some RTV.

I don’t mind cutting the resonator off the cold air feed but a rubber plug would certainly seal better vs. the plastic one provided. The bigger issue is that the cold air tube doesn’t hold/seal well on the air box.It took 2 people to get the air box in the car without the cold air tube disconnecting.The cold air tube fits/seals on the stock box much better. Most of my quibbles are trivial but this set up is just hooky in my opinion. I’ll be RTVing it to the air box tomorrow!

Although I love that the air box seal is so beefy, it took my wife and I longer to attach the seal and cut it to length than the rest of the install combined. IMHO it should come on the box already.

Again some of the comments are admittedly trivial, and for all I know this could be the best quality CAI on the market. However I don’t feel it exactly lives up to its reputation of being OEM type quality/fit. Can't say that I am unhappy with it or will be removing it, but I am not completely giddy with it either.

7-14-17 edit. Started seeing some really high IAT temps. Regardless of what I've been told those high IAT temps make my car feel like a dog. I spent some time with a dremel and opened up the grill, problem solved. I would consider this a must for anyone adding an open intake.

Overall I'll say that I am very happy with the intake. Sound it great and the great is snappy as hell!
Sponsored

Last edited:

JRENIGAR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT A6 3.15 premium
Disclaimer:
I am picky and my mods tend to be geared towards addressing things I feel the OEM missed, or capturing low hanging fruit with little to no downside. My wife and I both drive the car so it needs keep a certain level of refinement. That being said I look for things with OE fit and finish or better. My days of brash loud high horsepower cars are over. I’ve also not used any other CAI except on an FI car so I can’t compare. Just a disclaimer as to why my review might be a little different than some others.

Pros-
Love the billet MAF housing
Big beefy air cleaner.
It seals well against the hood. IAT seems very stable.
Easy to install (except the hood seal). My wife actually did most of the work.
Can’t comment on power because I installed a Lund tune at the same time but the combo certainly produces!
Drivability from the combo as good or better than stock

Cons-
Although the billet PVC connections look nice in pictures I would prefer connections molded into the elbow. The grommet to nipple connection isn’t the tightest, and although unlikely could be a leak point. I may actually hit them with some RTV.

I don’t mind cutting the resonator off the cold air feed but a rubber plug would certainly seal better vs. the plastic one provided. The bigger issue is that the cold air tube doesn’t hold/seal well on the air box.It took 2 people to get the air box in the car without the cold air tube disconnecting.The cold air tube fits/seals on the stock box much better. Most of my quibbles are trivial but this set up is just hooky in my opinion. I’ll be RTVing it to the air box tomorrow!

Although I love that the air box seal is so beefy, it took my wife and I longer to attach the seal and cut it to length than the rest of the install combined. IMHO it should come on the box already.

Again some of the comments are admittedly trivial, and for all I know this could be the best quality CAI on the market. However I don’t feel it exactly lives up to its reputation of being OEM type quality/fit. Can't say that I am unhappy with it or will be removing it, but I am not completely giddy with it either.
Pretty much sums it up for me also. The air box seal was the hardest part of the install followed closely by the cold air tube connection.

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much sums it up for me also. The air box seal was the hardest part of the install followed closely by the cold air tube connection.

Glad it's not just me being ham handed!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I agree with your negative comments about the airbox installation and the PVC connections. The latter did not sit well with me and I ended up going JLT after already installing the Steeda one.

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
I had my Steeda intake sitting in the box for months because I got so pissed off with the damn rubber seal. I ended up just having Steeda install it when I was there getting my suspension done lol.

Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your feedback, I will send this thread to our product development team for customer insight.

Best Regards,

TJ

OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your feedback, I will send this thread to our product development team for customer insight.

Best Regards,

TJ
Thanks TJ, that's the sign of a good company.

I re did the air box seal after driving the car and it was way easier. In retrospect a hair dryer on the initial install would have made it a 30 second job.

Honestly if you guys come up with a better way to mount the cold air tube to the box I think you'll be good to go. Maybe a gasket and a few bolts that go thru both pieces rather than using the bolts as nipples.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I'm in the same boat as your review. I found the kit very unrefined. But oh well. Mine looks good now haha.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Great non-misinformation-laden feedback for a company that will listen. Well done.

You'd shouldn't be surprised how receptive Steeda is to feedback and how appreciative they are for it, even directly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SVT-DADDY

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'll say this.....the Steeda/Lund combo really wakes the car up!

I was driving last night, and an idiot cut me off. Forgetting about my new found power while tooling around(this itself says something), I stabbed the throttle to get around him in second gear. Usually not a "post worthy event" in a convertible with 3.31 gears. Well let me tell you the I bounced that thing off limiter so fast and was able to read the advertisement on the side of his truck without turning my head. OOOPS!

Probably the biggest non nitrous/FI gain I've experienced. Almost reminds me of the gains when we were putting those SN-89 blowers pushing 5lbs on those old 80's 5 liters. I think we were getting about 50hp from them lol
Sponsored