Sponsored

Steeda CAI and Tune review

Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT PP manual
I just wanted to give my initial impressions of not only my purchase of the tuner combo from Steeda but also my impressions of the support provided since purchase.

Cold Air Intake:
First thing first, this set was huge! When the box arrived I thought it was something my wife might have ordered or something
When i opened it i was happily surprised by what all was in there as i was expecting just the cone and pipe. The filter included is HUGE like practical joke big and it has the end cap on it has more filter material allowing for even more airflow. I had a similar set up on my old 350Z and i loved the sound from it. The tubing is substantially thick plastic that seemed pretty clean on the seams and all the holes were clear of plastic and were properly sized. Another feature that I hadn't expected was the aluminum velocity stack's build quality. I was honestly expecting either plastic wrapped in a beer can or just a beer can.. When i saw the stack i was very impressed as the welds and measurements were flawless. Even the restrictor that came with it fit like a glove. Putting all these together makes for a nice package with a very high end feel, a clean look and a feeling of confidence in my purchase.
The install was straight forward with the only hiccups i ran into was not expecting to cut the factory parts down (had to dig out the hacksaw) and the plastic housing was not only a jig saw to put in getting me elbow deep in the ram air portion but it was also about a centimeter too tall.. with all the body panel alignment posts i'm sure this will vary from car to car and better to get a tight seal then have it pointlessly low.. 2 minutes with a dremel and it fit perfectly.
After the install I fired it up and immediately fell in love with the sound. It lines up with the "scoop" in the hood so with the window down and the sound tube in place the sound under load is incredible. Throttle response was snappier and power felt around the same. MPG dropped but thats cause i couldn't stay out of it! otherwise it seemed like about a 1 MPG gain on the hwy.

Tuner:
The SCT X4 seems like a pretty decent tuner, i ran a diablosport intune on my old challenger and i'd say the load time is comparable but the SCT seems more responsive. Tune went on without an issue although when it tunes the car unlike the dodge that just sits in acc mode, the mustang cuts out all the lights in the car thus ensuring my crimping of my seat fabric thinking i just bricked my car... after i took a breath and came to peace with the idea of listening to my wife's "i told you so's" for the next year it came back to life.
I had an issue with receiving the tune made for the intake without the restrictor when i was expecting the one for a stock setup or with the restrictor in place. I consider this a mute point as its kinda like complaining about a free dessert after a meal. (I thought the tune wasn't even available yet) more on that later.
When i loaded up the tune it worked and worked well. I felt a noticeable difference in the power delivery and the smoothness of acceleration. Felt like butter, really fast butter. Torque down low felt much more available and it pulls harder. Not sure on the numbers as i live an hour from a dyno and i'm not only broke but lazy as well for that sort of stuff..

All in all i would say it was a great purchase. It improved the driving habits of the car as well as the enjoyment factor. I was able to get in on the group buy so at the price I think its an incredible value for such a new car.

Steeda:
I've never messed with this company before as I was previously an import or Mopar man. That being said every single experience i've had with these guys has been an absolute pleasure. They were not only quick to handle issues reported on this site but also through email and reached out to call and put me in touch with the tuner during later hours. They quickly answered all my questions and concerns and have effectively won me over as a true supporter. I'm actually going to put their sticker on the car.. who knows how much HP that will add but its going to be a first for me as stickers usually hit the toolbox.

Big shout out to David@Steeda for all the help.
You guys take the aftermarket industry to an entirely new level of professionalism.

Thanks
Sponsored

DoCtA.FlAkE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium in DIB w/ PP and Premier Trim
Great review! Excited to get mine tomorrow, not looking forward to using a hack saw though :/

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I have had great customer service from them as well on other products. Great company.

OP
OP
Coyote

Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT PP manual
Great review! Excited to get mine tomorrow, not looking forward to using a hack saw though :/
my dremel couldn't quite reach so the hacksaw came out but i honestly spent more time looking for the tool than cutting.. they just have you lob off at a pipe and plug the hole. easy work

BTR75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (FJG)
Steeda has been one of my favorite companies since I first started moddding my previous 2010 Mustang GT. They have great customer support and I love the way their stuff looks. I also like the fact they are just up the road from Tallahassee.

Sponsored

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I just wanted to give my initial impressions of not only my purchase of the tuner combo from Steeda but also my impressions of the support provided since purchase.

Cold Air Intake:
First thing first, this set was huge! When the box arrived I thought it was something my wife might have ordered or something
When i opened it i was happily surprised by what all was in there as i was expecting just the cone and pipe. The filter included is HUGE like practical joke big and it has the end cap on it has more filter material allowing for even more airflow. I had a similar set up on my old 350Z and i loved the sound from it. The tubing is substantially thick plastic that seemed pretty clean on the seams and all the holes were clear of plastic and were properly sized. Another feature that I hadn't expected was the aluminum velocity stack's build quality. I was honestly expecting either plastic wrapped in a beer can or just a beer can.. When i saw the stack i was very impressed as the welds and measurements were flawless. Even the restrictor that came with it fit like a glove. Putting all these together makes for a nice package with a very high end feel, a clean look and a feeling of confidence in my purchase.
The install was straight forward with the only hiccups i ran into was not expecting to cut the factory parts down (had to dig out the hacksaw) and the plastic housing was not only a jig saw to put in getting me elbow deep in the ram air portion but it was also about a centimeter too tall.. with all the body panel alignment posts i'm sure this will vary from car to car and better to get a tight seal then have it pointlessly low.. 2 minutes with a dremel and it fit perfectly.
After the install I fired it up and immediately fell in love with the sound. It lines up with the "scoop" in the hood so with the window down and the sound tube in place the sound under load is incredible. Throttle response was snappier and power felt around the same. MPG dropped but thats cause i couldn't stay out of it! otherwise it seemed like about a 1 MPG gain on the hwy.

Tuner:
The SCT X4 seems like a pretty decent tuner, i ran a diablosport intune on my old challenger and i'd say the load time is comparable but the SCT seems more responsive. Tune went on without an issue although when it tunes the car unlike the dodge that just sits in acc mode, the mustang cuts out all the lights in the car thus ensuring my crimping of my seat fabric thinking i just bricked my car... after i took a breath and came to peace with the idea of listening to my wife's "i told you so's" for the next year it came back to life.
I had an issue with receiving the tune made for the intake without the restrictor when i was expecting the one for a stock setup or with the restrictor in place. I consider this a mute point as its kinda like complaining about a free dessert after a meal. (I thought the tune wasn't even available yet) more on that later.
When i loaded up the tune it worked and worked well. I felt a noticeable difference in the power delivery and the smoothness of acceleration. Felt like butter, really fast butter. Torque down low felt much more available and it pulls harder. Not sure on the numbers as i live an hour from a dyno and i'm not only broke but lazy as well for that sort of stuff..

All in all i would say it was a great purchase. It improved the driving habits of the car as well as the enjoyment factor. I was able to get in on the group buy so at the price I think its an incredible value for such a new car.

Steeda:
I've never messed with this company before as I was previously an import or Mopar man. That being said every single experience i've had with these guys has been an absolute pleasure. They were not only quick to handle issues reported on this site but also through email and reached out to call and put me in touch with the tuner during later hours. They quickly answered all my questions and concerns and have effectively won me over as a true supporter. I'm actually going to put their sticker on the car.. who knows how much HP that will add but its going to be a first for me as stickers usually hit the toolbox.

Big shout out to David@Steeda for all the help.
You guys take the aftermarket industry to an entirely new level of professionalism.

Thanks
Thanks for the kind words, bud! Happy to help and glad you're liking the CAI/tune! :thumbsup::headbang:

Millgeo5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Installed the CAI today, went together easier than I thought after some of the post, took me about 45min. Cutting the resonator off was pretty easy, then used my grinding wheel to get it flat and smooth. Love the sound can't wait to get my tunes for my tuner to really wake it up.

OP
OP
Coyote

Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT PP manual
Installed the CAI today, went together easier than I thought after some of the post, took me about 45min. Cutting the resonator off was pretty easy, then used my grinding wheel to get it flat and smooth. Love the sound can't wait to get my tunes for my tuner to really wake it up.
The tune makes a HUGE difference. you'll love it:thumbsup:

Millgeo5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

gzstang

Who's stang? It's gzstang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance pack
Vehicle Showcase
The sounds coming through the left heat extractor is definately ear candy:headbang:

Sponsored

Blitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP w/Perfomance
by far the most aggressive sounding CAi ive installed...

cant wait to finally run this bada$$ with out the restrictor
Sponsored