Sponsored

Starting in first gear

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Your clutch Will wear faster this way..
He speaks the truth. Probably better to learn proper technique in 1st...or make sure you wear it our before your drivetrain warranty expires. You'll know you're doing it right when you smell something comparable to rotten eggs and cat poop. :headbonk:
Sponsored

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Hey guys this is my first manual transmission car. I've never driven one before this. Basically I watched a couple YouTube videos before I got my 15gt. I think I've been doing pretty decent. But now and then I have difficulty starting in first from a complete stop and I stall, which is pretty embarrassing. Is there any tips or advice you guys can give me? I'd really appreciate it.
Definitely listen to everyones advice (except for starting in 2nd), practice definitely makes perfect. After awhile you will just drive by feeling rather than thought. Welcome to the Manual club and don't feel embarrassed. Every single one of us has stalled at a stop sign when learning more than once I imagine.

OP
OP

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Definitely listen to everyones advice, practice definitely makes perfect. After awhile you will just drive by feeling rather than thought. Welcome to the Manual club and don't feel embarrassed. Every single one of us has stalled at a stop sign when learning more than once I imagine.
Thanks man ! I appreciate everyone's advice

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had nothing but manual transmissions growing up, but I spent 9 years in Southern Cali (yuck!) and only bought autos while I lived there. When I bought my 2012 V6 manual, it was the first stick I had driven in about 13 years. I took the car down the coast of Oregon a few weeks after getting it and spent some time in San Francisco. I learned how to master the clutch like champ in those few days. It was kinda terrifying sitting at a stop light on a 30% grade with other cars 2 feet from your back bumper. :shocked:

Sponsored

OP
OP

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I had nothing but manual transmissions growing up, but I spent 9 years in Southern Cali (yuck!) and only bought autos while I lived there. When I bought my 2012 V6 manual, it was the first stick I had driven in about 13 years. I took the car down the coast of Oregon a few weeks after getting it and spent some time in San Francisco. I learned how to master the clutch like champ in those few days. It was kinda terrifying sitting at a stop light on a 30% grade with other cars 2 feet from your back bumper. :shocked:
That's what gets me real nervous cars get real close behind me and I just freak out more and I stall!

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what gets me real nervous cars get real close behind me and I just freak out more and I stall!
Yeah, that will go away when you get the hang of it. Keep working at it, you'll be fine.

larze123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost
Yea, these guys speak the truth. My race red ecoboost is my first manual and actual car, and I sort of just hopped into it and said, "how hard can this be?" Well sure enough, it's pretty damn easy, just outside of first. But I was having the same problem, where i would notice i wasn't really going anywhere, and then when i got nervous i would try to let the clutch out more, and i would jerk like i was on an actual horse. But my dad just told me to be less hesitant with the gas, and sure enough, I haven't stalled or really even jerked since then. Keep in mind, this story i told you sort of happened today, and I have only had the car for 3 days, but I now feel pretty comfortable driving manual. Oh and I am 16, and if I can figure it out, I'm sure you can.

Oh also, the car should have Hill start assist, where it will sense if you are on any sort of incline, and if you are in first with the clutch in, it will hold the rear brakes for 2-3 seconds after you take your foot off the breaks to give you ample opportunity to get going without roll back. I've tried it on the steepest of inclines, and it works great.

OP
OP

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Any advice on downshifting ? I've also noticed when I do the car jerks sometimes

larze123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost
Any advice on downshifting ? I've also noticed when I do the car jerks sometimes
I experienced this too, and I just started letting the clutch out a lot slower, and it seemed to help with that.

Sponsored

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like starting out and downshifting you're popping the clutch. It should be a fiarly quick, but smooth motion. At no time should you allow the pedal spring to release the pedal. Keep resistance on the spring all the way up.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
When you say "letting the clutch out," does that mean pushing the pedal up or down? WHen I took a manual transmission class the teacher didn't speak English and my Spanish isn't really good enough to have been able to piece that together.

larze123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Ecoboost
When you say "letting the clutch out," does that mean pushing the pedal up or down? WHen I took a manual transmission class the teacher didn't speak English and my Spanish isn't really good enough to have been able to piece that together.
I meant just get to the catch point, and then release it slower until your foot is off the clutch.

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Letting the clutch out...meaning your foot comes up off the floor.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I meant just get to the catch point, and then release it slower until your foot is off the clutch.
I... don't understand what that means. I guess I have to take more classes; hopefully find an English-speaking instructor.
Sponsored