Sponsored

Starting in first gear

MagneticXV

Magnetic15
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Hey guys this is my first manual transmission car. I've never driven one before this. Basically I watched a couple YouTube videos before I got my 15gt. I think I've been doing pretty decent. But now and then I have difficulty starting in first from a complete stop and I stall, which is pretty embarrassing. Is there any tips or advice you guys can give me? I'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored

w0ss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB
Are you letting off the clutch to quickly? I can get started in 1st without my foot touching the gas.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Midnight. Empty Mall parking lot. Practice starting from a stop. You will thank me tomorrow.

oldlugs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Bullitt & '09 KR
Hey guys this is my first manual transmission car. I've never driven one before this. Basically I watched a couple YouTube videos before I got my 15gt. I think I've been doing pretty decent. But now and then I have difficulty starting in first from a complete stop and I stall, which is pretty embarrassing. Is there any tips or advice you guys can give me? I'd really appreciate it.
PRACTICE makes perfect...
Let the clutch out very slowly 'till you can sense it starting to grab, then slowly give throttle while letting the clutch out fully. After a while it'll be as simple as blinking.

Sponsored

HrsePwr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LE #735
what Brent said - or try starting in second gear.

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
If he's stalling in 1st gear second is going to be worse.

Practice in an empty parking lot. It's all about learning the clutches grab point. If the S550 clutch and tranny is anything like my 2012's, 80% of the total pedal travel is "empty". It might be that you're pressing the pedal all the way to the floor and letting the pedal up what seems like a long distance and then maybe popping the clutch for the last bit of travel.

dcrypter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
Probably am. It usually only happens when I'm at a stop sign with other cars there. I get real nervous
When I got my '12 I couldn't drive a manual and it took a couple months to get really good at starting from a stop. It's pretty easy to get to about 85-90% success but it took me about 6 months of daily driving to get to 99.9%. I would end up stalling from a start once every other week and then maybe once a month and then maybe once in 6 months if I was being lazy and not paying attention to my gas pedal.

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Would that be bad at all starting in second gear all the time ?
I would suggest against it. You have to learn 1st. Everything after is gravy.

You will only want to do starts in second in very bad weather.

Get down the basics. Learn your clutch. Go practice 1st. Over and over and over.
1-2 stop 1-2 stop 1 stop 1 stop.

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Also, try playing with your seating position. If my wife borrows my car and my seat isn't exactly where I like it, the clutch manipulation feels off to me (yay for 201A and memory seats!). You probably want the seat far enough back that you have to fully extend your leg to put the clutch to the floor.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP