Splitting roof seams near back window, water leaking into rear quarter panels

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Is this something that can be applied? I have some of this at work.

20221027_092649.jpg
Sponsored

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
I wouldn't use silicone on anything exposed. It'll grab dirt and likely isn't UV-stabilized. Need a proper urethane or similar sealant
Could you recommend a product? I want to attempt this myself, just want to use the correct stuff.

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Colorado, 2019 GT350, 2022 Mach-E
Could you recommend a product? I want to attempt this myself, just want to use the correct stuff.
I had been thinking about something like https://usa.sika.com/en/industry/transportation/rv/adhesives-sealants/roof-bonding/sikaflex-227.html but I'm not sure how easy that will be to find. It does seem like weather resistant silicon RTV sealants are used as well. https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81158-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B000AL6WLA or https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80050-Silicone-Adhesive-Sealant/dp/B0002UEPVI

Anything you get I'd try first on a piece of aluminum foil to see what the surface finish is like once it cures.

TIMS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
TIM
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
Pulled 3 rear windows repainted roof line just above back window down. Still in shop being assembled atm. Pick it up after it passes new leak test. Fingers crossed.

Sponsored

Bizantino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 blue EcoBoost
Pulled 3 rear windows repainted roof line just above back window down. Still in shop being assembled atm. Pick it up after it passes new leak test. Fingers crossed.
This was warranty work?
How long did the repair take? Loaner provided in the meantime?
What year is your car?
Sorry so many questions🤣🤣

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Are any of you guys sealing up these spots on your own?.. I have not checked my car as its parked for winter, but wondering if its worthwhile to lay something down now, before an issue starts...

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
I started finding water in the trunk of my 2016 coupe/fastback. Once I pulled out the trunk panels, I found the sides were full of water. The issue was finally tracked down to the seams at the top corners of the rear window opening. Once I was aware of this issue I started looking for it on other cars, and everyone of them is in some stage of failure, with the seam sealer splitting open. While at the dealership service center at advantage Ford in Stuart, I noticed a gt350. I looked at the seams on it, and they were split open worse than mine, and even was showing cracks in the paint and bodywork of the driprail in these areas on both sides. I looked at a co workers 2017 ecoboost...same thing. This is a $1500 repair if out of warranty. Everyone needs to look for this issue....to me here it Florida, it seems extremely widespread, especially on non garage kept cars. Mine is just out of warranty, and I'm trying to get Ford to help me out since it is obviously a manufacturing defect. Check your cars for this people.
Does this cause water to fill the quarter panel, eventually leaking near the seatbelt retractor into the pan below the rear seat? Did you hear sloshing noises when driving aggressively? I first noticed water in the metal pan below the rear seat on the driver side. Water appears to be coming in from either the hole for the seatbelt retractor or the seam seal at the base.

My car is a coupe. I have a very tiny micro-fissure that is so hard to see that I'm not even sure it's the source.

topcornerrearwindow.jpg

interiorleak.jpg

rpinkstn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Magnetic Metallic
@linkysys
I saw your thread about the "sloshing water" behind the seat and was about to post a link to this thread, then I realized your post in this thread is the reason it popped up under "latest posts". Glad you found it and revived it. I just checked my wife's 2017 GT and sure enough, the seam seal at the top corner of the rear glass is split on the driver's side. Only a very small split, and only on the driver's side, but it's there.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
That split that you guys are noticing is from slight body twisting where the gasket or seal material pulls away from the base sheet metal as the body flexes. This is a simple fix . Clean the area with brake clean or alcohol and let it dry then apply fresh sealer where the crack appears. Don't goop it on fill the crack or separation smoothly and you should be good to go.

Sponsored

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Colorado, 2019 GT350, 2022 Mach-E
That split that you guys are noticing is from slight body twisting where the gasket or seal material pulls away from the base sheet metal as the body flexes. This is a simple fix . Clean the area with brake clean or alcohol and let it dry then apply fresh sealer where the crack appears. Don't goop it on fill the crack or separation smoothly and you should be good to go.
Where does one source body sealer?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
It's not the glass, it's the body seams. I haven't seen it on a 2018-20 car, but I also haven't looked yet. I'm not sure if there was a materials change or if it simply takes time and many cycles of the sheet metal expanding and contracting with the sun. Being black, mine gets pretty hot. I assumed that was part of why mine failed, but a co workers white mustang that is a year newer (2017) has the same splitting seams.
In 2016 there were a lot of instances of crooked back windows installed to the body. I mentioned this because it indicates inconsistent window adhesive application at the factory.

Last edited:

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Fortunately, the sloshing coming from the rear that had me panicking when my car was new was coming from the gas tank.

linkysys

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Does the glass need to come off? Looking at this it appears the crack might run under or along the window adhesive. I'm not sure how to get an applicator under the lip of the glass or even expose the area well enough to make a competent repair? The lip of the glass overhangs the drainage channel by at least 3/8", hiding the area where the crack extends. Something like 3M Flexiclear 08405 looks good but would be ideal if it could be thinned to paintable consistency to work into the area with long bristle brush (after masking off the paint surrounding the channel). If the glass needs to come off, that's going to be a PITA and probably needs to be outsourced to a body $hop.
Sponsored