Splitting roof seams near back window, water leaking into rear quarter panels

JasonGiudici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Us So
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
I started finding water in the trunk of my 2016 coupe/fastback. Once I pulled out the trunk panels, I found the sides were full of water. The issue was finally tracked down to the seams at the top corners of the rear window opening. Once I was aware of this issue I started looking for it on other cars, and everyone of them is in some stage of failure, with the seam sealer splitting open. While at the dealership service center at advantage Ford in Stuart, I noticed a gt350. I looked at the seams on it, and they were split open worse than mine, and even was showing cracks in the paint and bodywork of the driprail in these areas on both sides. I looked at a co workers 2017 ecoboost...same thing. This is a $1500 repair if out of warranty. Everyone needs to look for this issue....to me here it Florida, it seems extremely widespread, especially on non garage kept cars. Mine is just out of warranty, and I'm trying to get Ford to help me out since it is obviously a manufacturing defect. Check your cars for this people.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Without owning that car model. It's hard to tell what I'm looking at. Step back take a shot, then these photos might make more sense.

Lived in miami that problem dose not surprise me. Assume the glass must be remove and resealed, 1500 bucks. Not bad, would not trust Hoza's glass emporium to do the work for the deal.......... stick with Ford

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Can't tell what is going on from those pictures. I'm going to check mine, but it is garage kept.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Yeah I was gonna say same not sure what im looking at in the pics. Appreciate the headsup but we all seem confused by the pics

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I believe the first two pics are a closeup of this.

940C5316-9E04-47F4-BC13-A9E2BBE277CE.jpeg

And this is the seam that opened up.

3444DF46-0BFF-4DAB-B9FA-BC7DBA1D4B6B.jpeg

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
He's talking about the upper corners of the back window where the roof meets the sides. There's a water channel that goes down both sides all the way to the trunk. I have seen posts about other members cars having the paint flaking out in this area. Seems to be a problem spot. I saw two small splits in my sealer down a few inches from the corner (it's hard to see down in the groove) so I just clear-coated over it and it's been fine for now. Let's see.
20191020_123933.jpg

OP
OP

JasonGiudici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Us So
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Sorry, I realize the pictures can be hard to place. Bikeman315 is correct, and thank you for helping to clarify. The repair is removing the rear glass to remove and replace the existing seam sealer and repaint the area. It is problem area obviously, and I want everyone to know about it.

I would have never known if I didn't get a flat tire and find everything wet under the spare tire well. Once I found the rear interior quarter panels were full of water I started looking at the window, third brake light, antenna....I wasnt even thinking the actual body could be leaking. Left unchecked, this will rust out and destroy your car. Mine already has some rust and bubbling paint from standing water.

The sooner everyone knows about this issue the better. This can do a lot of damage before you even know anything is wrong. Mine was almost definitely leaking under warranty, but I had no idea. I didn't find out until after my warranty had expired and the car already had rust starting. Who knows how bad it would have been in another year or two if left uknown and unchecked.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just checked my 2019 Bullitt, and I'm happy to report it's much tighter than the OP photos above. In fact, I couldn't see crap, even with a flashlight. And checked the spare wheel well, and no sign of water intrusion. Need to wash my car again, after a 400-mile trip yesterday, and will check again under the trunk's mat and spare wheel well. But thank you for the heads-up anyway. It seems to be an issue on older cars, but you guys need to determine when the rear glass was better fitted (maybe 2018?). Good luck.

OP
OP

JasonGiudici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Us So
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
It's not the glass, it's the body seams. I haven't seen it on a 2018-20 car, but I also haven't looked yet. I'm not sure if there was a materials change or if it simply takes time and many cycles of the sheet metal expanding and contracting with the sun. Being black, mine gets pretty hot. I assumed that was part of why mine failed, but a co workers white mustang that is a year newer (2017) has the same splitting seams.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your gap is huge compared to mine. I understand what you're saying, but I can't even see to tell you how the seams look. I'm hoping they're okay now, since Ford should have been able to put more adhesive with more area. Bottom line is it's impossible to tell on my car unless I removed the glass...which I'm not going to do now. Ha ha. The good news is my car sleeps in the garage, and doesn't seem to have the issue now.

By the way, this reminds me of a huge issue with F-150s like the one I traded, but that was with the windshield. But also at exactly those 2 locations (upper corners). Water would get into the cabin for lack of adhesive in those corners. My truck didn't have that either, thankfully. Water would pool under the carpet, and sometimes drip on your legs, or even from the airbag cover on the A-pillar. Let's see how many others find this issue, and the years of their cars. I'll check mine again right after I wash it soon, just to make sure it's not affected. Thanks again for the heads-up, and sorry I couldn't help you.

OP
OP

JasonGiudici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Us So
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt pp
Thank you both. I did check the third brake light. The headliner is held on in the back with magnets, pops down a few inches to access the antenna and brake light. Both are dry. I found the cracks myself by blowing compressed air around inside with someone spraying soapy water outside and watching for bubbles. I didn't even notice the cracks until the soap test.

I then took it to the dealer, and had to pay their diagnosis fee to get it on record. I had already called the Ford 800 number and opened a case with them. After the dealer diagnosis, a regional Ford rep called and said they can't help financially, out of warranty. I asked to speak to a supervisor and how to appeal or escalate. The next day a supervisor called and said the rep was wrong and that it was originally listed as a wear and tear issue. Today the dealership called to tell me Ford had called them and asked for estimates for the repairs. Hopefully this is sign that there is chance Ford will come through for me and fix it even though it is several months out of warranty. Fingers crossed.
Sponsored