Sponsored

Spinning the Tires

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Maybe I am in the minority here, but one of the draws to the Mustang for me (coming from a Focus SE), was that RWD, break the rear end loose whenever I want, kind of driving ability. I see a lot of people asking how to eliminate wheel hop. I am guessing those people are more focused on racing or tracking their cars and want the grip for better times/performance. Stop The Hop, better tires, etc. I personally love the stock Pzeros on my PP because they seem to spin so easily. Driving the car in the fall with the summer tires on was enjoyable before switching to my winters which I've yet to been able to spin. Looking forward to putting them back on in a few weeks. Anyone else with my same mindset about the Mustang?
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Do you turn off traction control? Even with it on and the CB005 kit, I can make my wheels chirp off the line, with it off I can on the 1-2 shift, and sometimes the 2-3 shift...with my V6. Not the same as breaking loose like my supercharged friends where they kinda fishtail, but still fun to me. All of us have suspension mods.

Wheel hop seems to be more of the jump/extra grab that disrupts putting the power down and (with nannies on) cuts power. Plus it isn't the same every time which means it won't be predictable and controlled behavior...that isn't enjoyable to me.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wheel hop also beats the piss out of the driveline. Basically every hop is a monster shock to the driveline overly stressing components. Nothing kills stuff faster than wheel hop.

As far as spinning tires, well, spinnin' ain't winnin'. Unless you're in Formula D.

Ronin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTP Stage 1
The Pzeros for me were just this side of dangerous. I went with a Michelin staggered set up and handling is much better. My concern is spinning at maybe 60 which will get your attention immediately. In normal or Sport mode, this is momentary and while it pings acceleration, I have no complaints. I have yet to try in full nanny off track mode. I did however "test" the new tires from a stop. It felt fine, but when I examined the tread left on the asphalt, it was rubber, space, rubber, space. This was a surprise to me as I thought the IRS would cure that but apparently not. After more research and reading warning (like above) I have not spun them from a stop again. And Line Lock is out of the question- that seems like a great way to break something. I have heard there are some great "stop the hop" products but none eliminate it 100%. Therefore for me, why bother- I'll just adjust my driving....

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The traction control on Mustangs is next to useless, change the tires - the Pzeros are dangerous

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I have heard there are some great "stop the hop" products but none eliminate it 100%. Therefore for me, why bother- I'll just adjust my driving....
They'll get close to it though, the other part will always be your tires which you have addressed already.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Do you turn off traction control? Even with it on and the CB005 kit, I can make my wheels chirp off the line, with it off I can on the 1-2 shift, and sometimes the 2-3 shift...with my V6. Not the same as breaking loose like my supercharged friends where they kinda fishtail, but still fun to me. All of us have suspension mods.

Wheel hop seems to be more of the jump/extra grab that disrupts putting the power down and (with nannies on) cuts power. Plus it isn't the same every time which means it won't be predictable and controlled behavior...that isn't enjoyable to me.
Wheel hop also beats the piss out of the driveline. Basically every hop is a monster shock to the driveline overly stressing components. Nothing kills stuff faster than wheel hop.

As far as spinning tires, well, spinnin' ain't winnin'. Unless you're in Formula D.
Yeah maybe I'm combining two different things... wheel hop and spinning. I have felt wheel hop and spinning but I guess there is a difference between what causes them and how they affect the driveline. Spinning just wearing the tires and wheel hop putting wear on the driveline.

What is a CB005 kit?

I'm also known to baby my vehicles so I'm probably just pushing it hard enough. With my summers I was driving in Sport+ with TC off and would only spin/hop when I gave it a little extra around corners, never got it to happen in a straight line.

I've tried learning clutch kicking recently and it's been quite a failure. I just get really jerky movements with no spinning, not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've tried it by letting off the gas and kicking the clutch and also staying on the gas and kicking the clutch. Neither has seemed to work for me yet.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I personally would rather have full traction all the time. Think about when you actually need the traction it won’t be so cool then.

The pzeros are also trash. I currently have them and they don’t have any traction till they heat up a bit. I’ve personally slid just pulling out at like 1/4 throttle with the tires cold.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
"Generic" PZero's are awful. Great side walls actually. Terrible limits and they snap hard. Get Porsche spec PZeros if you're really adamant about it. Otherwise Conti Sports or Michelin S4's.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I find it crazy easy to make the tires hop. I'm definitely going to get a stop the hop kit soon.
On the Pzeros? Maybe I'm just not giving it enough gas.. I can definitely do it easy when the roads are wet, but that's obvious.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
On the Pzeros? Maybe I'm just not giving it enough gas.. I can definitely do it easy when the roads are wet, but that's obvious.
I'm on stock S4's. I'll be just pulling off my street and giving a bit of gas and they will start hopping when cold. My Mach1 never had hop like this no matter the tire.

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I am in the minority here, but one of the draws to the Mustang for me (coming from a Focus SE), was that RWD, break the rear end loose whenever I want, kind of driving ability. I see a lot of people asking how to eliminate wheel hop. I am guessing those people are more focused on racing or tracking their cars and want the grip for better times/performance. Stop The Hop, better tires, etc. I personally love the stock Pzeros on my PP because they seem to spin so easily. Driving the car in the fall with the summer tires on was enjoyable before switching to my winters which I've yet to been able to spin. Looking forward to putting them back on in a few weeks. Anyone else with my same mindset about the Mustang?
Spinning and wheel hop are two entirely different things. Wheel hop breaks things, especially when you start putting your car on sticky tires. Wheel spin is just that wheel spin.
Sponsored