Sponsored

Spherical bearing replacement - additional NVH?

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT delivered 8 May 17
Brains trust

Looking at the next upgrade component - replacement spherical bearings (rear at the moment) and there are two companies with what look to be three products on offer. All good so far.

Am I likely to get additional/increased NVH from this upgrade. From what I've read so far I'm not 100% certain. I am certain that there are benefits to be had in terms of improved handling. Just wondering what the trade off is.

Cheers

Paul
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Which bushing are you looking at replacing with bearings? The answer depends on that and what other mods you have.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Brains trust

Looking at the next upgrade component - replacement spherical bearings (rear at the moment) and there are two companies with what look to be three products on offer. All good so far.

Am I likely to get additional/increased NVH from this upgrade. From what I've read so far I'm not 100% certain. I am certain that there are benefits to be had in terms of improved handling. Just wondering what the trade off is.

Cheers

Paul
Yes, the answer is: likely you will get NVH.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Yes. Mostly on washboard roads or very harsh concrete road separation. Otherwise, nothing really to report beyond that on my own car (I have the Steeda bearing). I suppose you can expect SOME additional gear whine, but that really comes more with hard-mounting the IRS subframe itself. With stock wheels (40 aspect tires), all NVH is notably reduced from a 35 aspect tire on my car. The installation is a pain in the ass.

The front bearing replacement is the one that seems to transfer the most road-born NVH but it improves the steering -- road feedback, ability to be precise, etc. The rear one seems to be damped enough unless you've solid-mounted your IRS.

IMO, the rear bearing is the first mod people should do to the rear IRS, but they don't because it's so hard to change out.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
The LCA bearing is one of the best things to change like said above. For me it did not increase nvh at all albeit I have almost everything replaced in the back end (toes, adjustable camber arms, shocks, springs, red diff inserts, knuckle bearing, billet shock mounts, end links, sway bar, half shafts, alignment kit and subframe bracing) and my car has very limited nvh that I can remember from stock in fact less which is probably hard for you to believe. I do as much road course as I can and my friends with mustangs would attest to my statement from being in my car.

At the very least, if you change them, and I do recommend it, change out the knuckle bushing to the ford racing bearing as you'll be right there and if half shafts are in your future, there isn't a better time.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
At the very least, if you change them, and I do recommend it, change out the knuckle bushing to the ford racing bearing as you'll be right there and if half shafts are in your future, there isn't a better time.
Yes.

OP
OP
Bagration

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Which bushing are you looking at replacing with bearings? The answer depends on that and what other mods you have.
So I am looking at replacing the lower control arm spherical bearings in the rear (BMR and Steeda are the products I am looking at). Currently have the BMR Cradle lock out kit installed, BMR vertical links and I have just ordered the BMR adjustable rear toe links and the Ford Performance toe link bearing assembly.

I want to hit my suspension shop all at once with the upgrades to install all at the same time to save some money on instal.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I am looking at replacing the lower control arm spherical bearings in the rear (BMR and Steeda are the products I am looking at). Currently have the BMR Cradle lock out kit installed, BMR vertical links and I have just ordered the BMR adjustable rear toe links and the Ford Performance toe link bearing assembly.

I want to hit my suspension shop all at once with the upgrades to install all at the same time to save some money on instal.
You will feel much more of the road with those than the bushings. This has pluses and minuses. It will make the rear feel very precise and focused, reacting quicker to inputs. It's a great mod if you're not intolerant of a little bit of harshness.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel

I changed both of those bearings at the same time - along with springs, shocks, and bars and I didn't notice any increase in NVH at all. I think it is actually better than stock. Your mileage may vary.

OP
OP
Bagration

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
I changed both of those bearings at the same time - along with springs, shocks, and bars and I didn't notice any increase in NVH at all. I think it is actually better than stock. Your mileage may vary.
Thats great feedback thankyou. What you did is what I am wanting to do. I'm doing a 1 inch drop all round (using the Vogtland coilover kit) and will (in addition to your set up) do camber plates for the front and camber arms for the rear. Should give me the responsive cornering that I am after. :)

Sponsored

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Did you get the bearings installed yet?

OP
OP
Bagration

Bagration

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Did you get the bearings installed yet?
Hi there - sorry for the late reply. The bearings were on back order from BMR (via JEGS) and only arrived by FEDEX last thursday (Australia is a long way away...). Install is due first week of September along with all the other parts. I'll put up a review then :like:
Sponsored