Sponsored

SPEED BLEEDERS

Kado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H4866
Just curious as to what a speed bleeder is?
They're basically one way check valves that replace the normal bleed valves on your brakes. Allows you to just open the valve, connect a oil collection bag and pump the brakes to bleed the system. No need to have a buddy close the valve. The one way nature is supposed to keep air from getting back into the system when you release pressure.

I have used them in the past, never really felt comfortable with them. They are more fragile than a regular bleeder and the check valve can stick if some crud gets in there.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Anyone using them? Pros, cons? If you changed over, what size did you get?
I use these: https://www.stahlbus-us.com/bleedin...-m10x10x14mm-s-steel-with-black-dust-cap.html

They are the best product of their type on the planet. They're made of steel, they have a spring-loaded valve and o-ring seal so air can't get in when you lift the brake pedal. I started using them in 2014 and it was a revelation. They give you a very clean bleed (rock-hard pedal) every time with no leaks or mess.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
Speed bleeders are a great product which I've installed on a couple of my vehicles. Saves a lot of time and aggravation with bleeding brakes. I haven't used them on my 350. I would get the ones with thread sealer already applied. The sealer will wear and after some number of brake bleeding events you will probably have to apply some more thread sealer.

Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I bought a Motive power bleeder for the same cost and I feel much better about it.

FWIW my old GTI has speed bleeders on it and they worked fine on that. *shrug*

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I use these: https://www.stahlbus-us.com/bleedin...-m10x10x14mm-s-steel-with-black-dust-cap.html

They are the best product of their type on the planet. They're made of steel, they have a spring-loaded valve and o-ring seal so air can't get in when you lift the brake pedal. I started using them in 2014 and it was a revelation. They give you a very clean bleed (rock-hard pedal) every time with no leaks or mess.
Are those the correct ones for our cars? Front and rear? I take it you would need two sets?

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Are those the correct ones for our cars? Front and rear? I take it you would need two sets?
Yes, the short M10x1.0 S 14mm bleeders are the correct ones for the Brembo's on a GT350, and yes, it takes two sets - there are two bleeders on each of the four calipers.

I went to the trouble of getting an inexpensive 1/4" drive inch-pound torque wrench to operate them with. When you install them, torque the outer fitting into the caliper at 100 inch-pounds with a 10mm deep socket.

To operate them, use an 8mm deep socket on the inner valve hex and torque to 70 inch-pounds.

kommons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have both the speed bleeders and a Motive unit. I got the Motive first and then moved on to the bleeders. I have used the Motive maybe once in the last 18 months, but the speed bleeders get a pretty regular workout.

Here's why, at least for me: what the Motive does best is provide lots of fluid in a flow without having to worry about the reservoir running dry. It's great for a full-system flush. If you want to push a liter of fluid through the system, the Motive is the tool for the job.

But it's really cumbersome when all you need is a quick bleed before a track day to get fresh fluid into the calipers.

With the speed bleeders, you pop the cap off the first bleeder on the first caliper, turn the valve 1/2 turn, put on the hose, pump the pedal six times, take the hose off, torque the valve to 70 inch-lb and put the cap back on. Repeat seven more times, topping up the reservoir after each caliper. That's it, and the fluid you put in goes straight from the original packaging into the reservoir.

The Motive can do it too, but it's a lot more work. Before you start, you have to fill the reservoir, hook it up and pressurize it. Then when you're done with the bleeders, you have to take it off, pour the extra fluid back into the bottle and clean everything up. And if you're me, "cleaning up" means taking the Motive unit into the house and washing it with hot water and dish soap before putting it into the boiler room for a week to dry out. There's no way I want stale brake fluid from the last use mixing with the fresh fluid - I want it clean and dry when I start.

So, for me the investment in the speed bleeders is worth it. I can do a quick round of brake bleeds in a few minutes with virtually no mess. I like that a lot.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
All you need is a regular bleed bottle and you can pump the pedal without introducing air. No need for a check valve. It’s always better to have a buddy but a 7 year old can push the brake pedal.

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
On new cars this is pretty much true. When you get into older cars and remanufactured calipers you start running into a frequent problem of sloppy bleeder screw threads and it doesn't matter if you vacuum bleed, pedal bleed or reverse bleed - you usually end up with air in the system that leaks back around the bleeder screw. A Motive system or speed bleeders are about the only fool proof methods that work on older cars.

But yeah - on a new car put the wife or that 7-year old to work pumping the brake and you will be good to go.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I understand the benefit to the Motive, but when I use it the flow is so much slower than a traditional bleed that it acts more like a fluid displacer rather than a flush. With the Motive I don't see the satisfying little bubbles getting flushed out and the solid pedal feel I get with a traditional 2-person bleed. Is it just me?
Sponsored