Sponsored

SPEED BLEEDERS

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I have both the speed bleeders and a Motive unit. I got the Motive first and then moved on to the bleeders. I have used the Motive maybe once in the last 18 months, but the speed bleeders get a pretty regular workout.

Here's why, at least for me: what the Motive does best is provide lots of fluid in a flow without having to worry about the reservoir running dry. It's great for a full-system flush. If you want to push a liter of fluid through the system, the Motive is the tool for the job.

But it's really cumbersome when all you need is a quick bleed before a track day to get fresh fluid into the calipers.

With the speed bleeders, you pop the cap off the first bleeder on the first caliper, turn the valve 1/2 turn, put on the hose, pump the pedal six times, take the hose off, torque the valve to 70 inch-lb and put the cap back on. Repeat seven more times, topping up the reservoir after each caliper. That's it, and the fluid you put in goes straight from the original packaging into the reservoir.

The Motive can do it too, but it's a lot more work. Before you start, you have to fill the reservoir, hook it up and pressurize it. Then when you're done with the bleeders, you have to take it off, pour the extra fluid back into the bottle and clean everything up. And if you're me, "cleaning up" means taking the Motive unit into the house and washing it with hot water and dish soap before putting it into the boiler room for a week to dry out. There's no way I want stale brake fluid from the last use mixing with the fresh fluid - I want it clean and dry when I start.

So, for me the investment in the speed bleeders is worth it. I can do a quick round of brake bleeds in a few minutes with virtually no mess. I like that a lot.

@JAJ Resurrecting a really old thread, here…

I’m interested in hearing how your Stahlbus speed bleeders have held up over time. You made a persuasive case for track rats, and if you’re still happy, I’m about to pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for the guidance and benefit of your experience.
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
They're basically one way check valves that replace the normal bleed valves on your brakes. Allows you to just open the valve, connect a oil collection bag and pump the brakes to bleed the system. No need to have a buddy close the valve. The one way nature is supposed to keep air from getting back into the system when you release pressure.

I have used them in the past, never really felt comfortable with them. They are more fragile than a regular bleeder and the check valve can stick if some crud gets in there.

And taller/longer ........

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Since we’re here…you remove the stock bleed screws, install these, and leave them forever, correct?? You never need to reinstall the stock bleed screws?

I’m in the camp that doesn’t enjoy the Motive, unfortunately.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
@JAJ Resurrecting a really old thread, here…

I’m interested in hearing how your Stahlbus speed bleeders have held up over time. You made a persuasive case for track rats, and if you’re still happy, I’m about to pull the trigger. Thanks in advance for the guidance and benefit of your experience.
I've been using the Stahlbus speed bleeders on my track cars since 2014 and they've been flawless. I use their oil drain fittings on three of the four family cars - they don't make one for the GT350, but two BMW's and the Explorer have them for super easy oil changes.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Since we’re here…you remove the stock bleed screws, install these, and leave them forever, correct?? You never need to reinstall the stock bleed screws?

I’m in the camp that doesn’t enjoy the Motive, unfortunately.
Correct. The 10mm hex main nut is torqued to 100 inch-pounds to hold the bleeder in the caliper. The upper 8mm hex bleed valve is the one you open and close and it only gets 70 inch pounds.

To use them, you open the inner 8mm valve 1/2 turn then pump the brake pedal to get a really good pressure bleed. Or, if you have a Motive (I prefer Sealy) then open the valve 1 - 1/2 turns to let fluid flush through without pumping the brake pedal.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I just run a clear hose 12 inches vertical from the bleeder. Curve it so it doesn't start a siphon, then run it into a bottle. Let it gravity bleed for a few min then slowly pump the pedal. works everytime.

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Maybe there's a reason to use the speed bleeders I don't understand, but I'd take a Motive power bleeder given the choice.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/coll...eeder-kits-power-bleeders-import-bleeder-kits

In case anyone is in a hurry, be sure to check, as iirc Ford changed the adapter somewhere mid-run on the GT350.
x2... been using the motive bleeder for years. The BMW, VW euro adapter is also the same one for the S550. I changed a rear caliper and bled all the brakes super easy. No fuss, no mess and very quickly purge old fluid and air.

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2
Maybe there's a reason to use the speed bleeders I don't understand, but I'd take a Motive power bleeder given the choice.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/coll...eeder-kits-power-bleeders-import-bleeder-kits

In case anyone is in a hurry, be sure to check, as iirc Ford changed the adapter somewhere mid-run on the GT350.
I used the Motive Power bleeder last winter when I removed all four brake calipers to fully bleed my brake system. Worked great. On smaller jobs I use a basic vacuum bleeder. As far as the Speed Bleeder Valves, I used them on my motor cycles 30 years ago but I would not see a need now days to use them since their are better alternatives such as I just listed. IMHO Good Luck

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I've been using the Stahlbus speed bleeders on my track cars since 2014 and they've been flawless. I use their oil drain fittings on three of the four family cars - they don't make one for the GT350, but two BMW's and the Explorer have them for super easy oil changes.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Obviously there’s more than a couple ways to bleed brakes. I’ve had success with several myself. This solution really appeals to me.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for sharing your experience. Obviously there’s more than a couple ways to bleed brakes. I’ve had success with several myself. This solution really appeals to me.

Personally not a fan as in don't have a need. Looking at the offering, I will say they look like good quality & a well engineered product. That I would use.

Very nice.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I prefer the motive as I work alone, but I don't use it as directed. I have never put fluid in the Motive tank, I just use it to pressurize the reservoir. I suck out all the old fluid, fill with fresh and then put the motive pump on.

Works great and on several vehicles.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just a curiosity, what is this "motive" inquiring minds, no matter how small want to know ..LMAO

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Just a curiosity, what is this "motive" inquiring minds, no matter how small want to know ..LMAO
It's a small tank with a pump handle. The tank has a line to a cap that fits onto the reservoir. You are supposed to fill the tank with brake fluid, pressurize the tank, and then it forces fresh fluid into the res under pressure. I use it dry.