Speaker Upgrade

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2019 GT. Any suggestions? Curious about pricing as well.

Unrelated: Don't insult the Coyote by using Quiet Mode. It's sacrilegious.
Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
What stock stereo system do you have: 6, 9, or 12-speakers?

What is your audio goal?

Are you doing the installation yourself?

Are you keeping the stock amplifier(s), if equipped?

The answers will help guide your potential selections.

OP
OP
MIDLYFE

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Good questions. Just bought the car preowned so I'm still finding my way around it. Do the 6, 9, and 12 speaker systems all have the center speaker? I think I'd like to start by disabling the center speaker (probably today). There is a great independently owned audio shop near me that I'm probably going to talk with but I'm not sure how much they'll know about car installations. If I do decide to upgrade I most likely won't be doing it myself.

As for what system the car currently has, how besides the vin# can I tell which one I have? Keep in mind I have the Synch 3 set up and I don't want to hinder that in any way. Thanks so much for the help. Much appreciated.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Good questions. Just bought the car preowned so I'm still finding my way around it. Do the 6, 9, and 12 speaker systems all have the center speaker? I think I'd like to start by disabling the center speaker (probably today). There is a great independently owned audio shop near me that I'm probably going to talk with but I'm not sure how much they'll know about car installations. If I do decide to upgrade I most likely won't be doing it myself.

As for what system the car currently has, how besides the vin# can I tell which one I have? Keep in mind I have the Synch 3 set up and I don't want to hinder that in any way. Thanks so much for the help. Much appreciated.
pop kick panel off, you can snip the green wire, I can post a pic of it and the connector or undo the molex connector clip and pop the pin out. I snipped myself

only 9 and 12 have center

12 speaker system should have subwoofer

mines a 17 9 speaker car, all the cars I read about the center speaker is also the green wire. It may of changed for 18+ I think itā€™s the brown connector, Iā€™d have to look at an old post of mine I happened to take a photo doingother stuff

itā€™s the green wire with the black tape on it, I wrapped it up to make sure wouldnā€™t touch wnything. Itā€™s next to the blue wire w green stripe I think that is.

I eventually just pulled that pin out.I will never reconnect it

053A1EFC-0D1C-403B-8C9D-9CD880223E41.png

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I just bought speakers from Crutchfield last night. I already had a single 3.5 for the center. The small speakers in the doors are 3.5. The lower are 6.5. As you have a drop top, I wouldn't mess with the rear pair. Crutchfield gives you the adapter plugs for the lower door speakers free. My local Best buy will do the install as they have done on all my other Mustangs and the ST Explorers.

Sponsored

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP

4ā€ screen = 6-speaker system, no center channel or trunk-mounted subwoofer. You will have only one round speaker grille on the door panel.

8ā€ screen + trunk-mounted subwoofer = 12-speaker system, in your 2019 this will be labeled the B&O system on the center top-of-the dash plastic housing. This has a center channel. There will be a second speaker grille in front of the door handle assembly.

8ā€ screen without subwoofer = 9-speaker system. It has a center channel. There will be a second speaker grille in front of the door handle assembly.

TheWhiteWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 Magnetic Grey
With the 6 speaker option, is it possible to add the 3.5 speakers later down the road? I have the premium door panels installed. Would I need to move to a 3-way setup from a 2-way? Mainly looking to bring the sound stage higher in the car instead of around my feet.

I have the nicer JL speakers instead of the stock speakers installed. Unfortunately, when I got the speakers I didn't plan to have the premium door panels.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
With the 6 speaker option, is it possible to add the 3.5 speakers later down the road? I have the premium door panels installed. Would I need to move to a 3-way setup from a 2-way? Mainly looking to bring the sound stage higher in the car instead of around my feet.

I have the nicer JL speakers instead of the stock speakers installed. Unfortunately, when I got the speakers I didn't plan to have the premium door panels.
Since you have the premium door panels, you could add a 2.5-3ā€ midrange in the unoccupied opening. However, you will have to figure out a wiring solution as the harness for the midrange is not installed in base audio models. I strongly suggest that you donā€™t install any crossover units in the door. Since youā€™re trying to move the soundstage up higher, youā€™re probably looking to have a dedicated amp channel for each speaker (fully active system) and a DSP. A good installer can figure this out.

TheWhiteWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 Magnetic Grey
Awesome, thanks for the advice! Do you think the doors would need to be removed to run the harness?

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Awesome, thanks for the advice! Do you think the doors would need to be removed to run the harness?
Removed? No. A good installer should be able to add the needed wiring to the existing Molex connector that is covered by the hinge rubber boot,

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I tried to run new speaker wire through the door Molex connectors on my 2019 Bullitt and it was impossible to do (no room or vacant spots to drill a hole to pass wire through). Pull the boot, disconnect the Molex connector and have a look to see what I mean.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I tried to run new speaker wire through the door Molex connectors on my 2019 Bullitt and it was impossible to do (no room or vacant spots to drill a hole to pass wire through). Pull the boot, disconnect the Molex connector and have a look to see what I mean.
As far as I know, Bullitts didnā€™t come with the base audio system. So, assuming that the same Molex connector is used for base and premium cars, then there should be available spots in the base radio cars.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
As far as I know, Bullitts didnā€™t come with the base audio system. So, assuming that the same Molex connector is used for base and premium cars, then there should be available spots in the base radio cars.
I gotcha OF5.0. That sure would make things a whole lot easier if there are available spots in the Molex connector. I was both surprised and disappointed to find out that wasnā€™t the case on my Bullitt.

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
I gotcha OF5.0. That sure would make things a whole lot easier if there are available spots in the Molex connector. I was both surprised and disappointed to find out that wasnā€™t the case on my Bullitt.
So, Iā€™ll ask: why didnā€™t you just de~pin the speaker wires in the Molex connector in each door and replace the wiring? Iā€˜m assuming that you just wanted a larger gauge wire for each driver.
Sponsored