Sponsored

speaker is blown, what next?

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey everyone,

Speaker on my drivers side door, near the footwell is pretty damaged I think. I makes a fuzzy sound and basically sounds like its barely held together and it quite annoying. Does anyone know a way to pop the cover off in order to examine the speaker?

If I have to go the route of replacing the speaker is there a general set up those into audio would recommend? Not looking to spend a lot and not overly concerned with top notch sound quality.

2018 5.0 PP1

Thanks in advanced for any advice!
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
Hey everyone,

Speaker on my drivers side door, near the footwell is pretty damaged I think. I makes a fuzzy sound and basically sounds like its barely held together and it quite annoying. Does anyone know a way to pop the cover off in order to examine the speaker?

If I have to go the route of replacing the speaker is there a general set up those into audio would recommend? Not looking to spend a lot and not overly concerned with top notch sound quality.

2018 5.0 PP1

Thanks in advanced for any advice!
You need to get rid of the car immediately. This is a safety issue.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The speaker grill is plastic welded to the backside of the door panel and doesn’t pop off. There’s plenty of YouTube videos on how to remove the door panel. It’s not difficult.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
As others already said, you'll have to take the door panel off. It's not that hard to do. There's a few videos showing exactly how if you need it.

Find some speakers you like and replace. The lower door speakers are 6.5" component and are 2omhs (edit:depending on system, yours may be 2, or 4ohms). If you're not replacing stereo/adding an amp, you want to stick to something 3-4omhs max. The higher ohms the quieter the speakers will be with no amp.

I personally went with JBL GTO609c and replaced both the lower door speakers and the tweeters (soldered the OEM connection to them to make them plug and play and to use the existing built-in resistor it was using as a crude crossover). Everything sounds a lot nicer without too much money or adding amps or re-doing wiring.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
As others already said, you'll have to take the door panel off. It's not that hard to do. There's a few videos showing exactly how if you need it.

Find some speakers you like and replace. The lower door speakers are 6.5" component and are 2omhs. If you're not replacing stereo/adding an amp, you want to stick to something 3-4omhs max. The higher ohms the quieter the speakers will be with no amp.

I personally went with JBL GTO609c and replaced both the lower door speakers and the tweeters (soldered the OEM connection to them to make them plug and play and to use the existing built-in resistor it was using as a crude crossover). Everything sounds a lot nicer without too much money or adding amps or re-doing wiring.
Correction, the 6.5” speakers are 4 ohm. (At least the B&O ones are). I’ve measure them myself.

Howitzer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
First Name
Howie
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2000 Mercedes C280
Correction, the 6.5” speakers are 4 ohm. (At least the B&O ones are). I’ve measure them myself.
Guess it depends on what system we're talking about then. The base speakers from mine were 2ohms. Updated my post to say 2 or 4 though.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Thanks everyone, this is great and just the information I was looking for!
Sponsored