Sponsored

Spare Tire Tale

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Someone posted a link to a page at the Torsen site that says even a ridiculous mismatch in the 20 something percent range is not an issue as far as wear.
You missed the main caveat: Less than 50 miles :D. Having said that, I would NOT risk anything close to that number if I were you, but to each his own. As the guy mentioned, a small difference is not an issue indeed, which is what you get with a wheel/tire like the one AA offers. You want to repair the flat tire at your convenience, not immediately. If you damage the diff due to a flat, that guy is not going to pay for it. Ha ha.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
You also missed my story about my old Camaro SS with a Zexel-Torsen differential. The SS Owner's Association found out that Torsen diffs didn't take much diametrical mismatch before costing you a good chunk of change. Do it at the risk of your own wallet.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
Will a battery operated drill with a 19mm socket get enough torque to get the lug nut off?

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
GET A spare is all I can say. Because you never get a flat IN town in middle of day next to a tire shop. NOOOO... its always at night on a sunday 40 miles from anywhere and when you are on your way to something important. and with most of the tire sizes we have needing to be ordered cause no one has them what is AAA or ford road side gonna do? They are gonna tow your car to a closed shop that has to wait till the next day to even order the tire after waiting 3 plus hours for them to even show up. You miss whatever you were on way too have to call someone to come get you and three days later get your car back or..... 5 mins and you have your spare on and back to business. Get a spare!!!
Yep, I'm convinced more than ever now to do exactly this! Just picked mine up 2 days ago and am going to order one shortly! Nice colour car by the way :)

Sponsored

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Rocky- I believe the drill in the video is a Dewalt impact .
I think it would take an impact to remove the lugs and you better hold on tight when you try to back the lugs off. A spare impact will save a ton of time if you have a spare as shown in the AA video.

Gatsby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible / Velocity Blue / A10
Will a battery operated drill with a 19mm socket get enough torque to get the lug nut off?
I don’t know about a drill, but my 20v Dewalt cordless impact does it with no problems. I bought a cheap set of torque tubes from Amazon, and keep the 150lb. tube in the spare tire well. I’ve gone back with the torque wrench after using the impact and torque tube, and they’re spot on. I don’t carry the impact all the time, but I always throw it in for road trips.

OP
OP

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
A 1/2" impact will do it since it can apply more than 150 ft-lbs.

A 1/4" impact will not do it. I have both a DeWalt and a Milwaukee. Both are rated at 150 ft-lbs and will not break the lugs loose and, yes, I used a torque wrench to tighten them. I use them to run the lugs on and off in the garage when I rotate tires, but not to torque them.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
LOL not trying to be rude or mean but some yall spending hundreds to take lugs off. Maybe workout a bit or eat some wheaties? IM not in stealer shape never go to gym and I take my wheels off all the time with a hand lug wrench. And I retourqe them back to 150 each time. 150 isnt that hard to remove I dont have to hardly stress it. Just think some people make stuff harder then it has to be is all.

Just reminds me of my girlfriend. Ill ask her to turn the water hose on and 5 mins later im still waiting. She needed to call three people and get 7 tools out and then wrote a letter to congress about it and texted her mom. IM over there going just turn the knob.

Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't Ford offer road side assistance? Is it that bad that you're waiting hours and hours? Man I hope not.

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Briebee,
I look at things that save time and the impact driver will save time. When young I used to break tires off of rims by hand but now everyone uses the machines which makes sense and saves a bunch of time. I have never needed a spare in a pleasant place so if I can save some time and maybe some wear and tear on a 73 year old body then the money for the impact is well spent. For under a hundred you can get an adequate impact and for less than two you can get a nice one.
Given what we pay for cars and mods, I do not feel the cost of an impact is a big deal. It make sense for some just like a lift. Are they needed no but they are nice...But, to each his or her own opinion..

dominic msu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dominic
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Magnetic Grey 6SP 401A PP1 MagneRide Active Exhaust
I replaced the air compressor with the spare from AA today. The compressor and foam insert were in the hall. My wife asked why there was a foam uterus on the floor and now I can’t unsee it
C0628EAC-BED2-4AAF-BC80-7476B87F8EFE.jpeg

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
I went ahead and bought the AA spared for my 19GT PP1.

I have AAA, but some of the fun roads I drive on are out in nowhere and cell coverage is non-existent.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
You don't need to order the fancy $500 spare for this.

Get yourself a cheap 19x8.5 replica wheel for under $150 and a basic all season 235/35/19 tire for $100 and you have a solid spare option that fits well in the trunk for half the cost.
Have you tried this, or taken any measurements?

An 8.5" rim won't fit in the well, at least not without raising up the well cover above the truck floor. Also, a 235/35r19 tire is only 25.5" tall, the stock tire size for this model Mustang is 27", so even if only driving a short distance you risk damaging the differential if you use it on the rear.

I measured the height of the mobility kit in my tire well to see what would fit for a spare, it came to roughly 6.75", so if you really want something other than temporary donut for a spare you can look for a 19x5 rim and mount a 175/60 tire. This is not a particularly cheap option however, the tire by itself is at least $150, but if you have brembo brakes it might be a slightly cheaper option than the kits currently available. If you have the standard brakes I think the best option is just to comb salvage yards for a factory spare.
Sponsored