Sound Tube … why do so many delete?

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
I want to do this..is it easily done?
I don't know how different the '15 is. The 2010s have only one foam at the end of the tube connecting to the cabin. The 11-14s have two foams. I didn't need any tools on mine. Well, just my phone flashlight. Just manually pull the hose and took the foam out and just pushed it back in. Took me 3 minutes.
Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I want to do this..is it easily done?
Lol the foam just sits in the end .. Almost falls out. Unless there is more foam in the boxes and chambers.

If anyone has ever heard an e46 m3 csl, you would know how beautiful an intake sound can be. That's why I think personally I miss the tube. I just did the steeda cai and tune last night.. And earlier today was pounding on it. I'm being honest that I do miss the sound. It's on my mind now to want to hear the steeda Intake with the tube back in :doh:

5starr0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Removed mine over the weekend very easy just need to be plug the firewall hole

ForeverMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
Noise =/= Power
Noise =/= Fast
Noise == Noise, and therefore has no inherent value.

If noise is what you are after, why don't you just tape your horn button down? Cheap, easy mod.
Riiiiigghhtt... because Mustang owners are notorious for not caring what their car sounds like :doh:

If all you care about is speed, wouldn't a used Vette be a better place to start anyways? Saying there is no value in things unrelated to speed is absolutely insane to me because if Ford took that approach the Mustang would no longer exist due to what would be extremely limited appeal. Not to mention it shouldn't be hard to appreciate the fact that not all buyers are competitive racers.

This a something Ford offers us that costs almost nothing for them to put on the car, is easily removed if someone doesn't want it, yet allows Ford to create a quieter and more refined interior while letting you adjust the actual level of engine sound allowed into the car. I don't see how people have such strongly negative feelings towards it. Not everything has to be about the moment you pop your hood or tear down the drag strip. Baseless complaints, IMHO. These are the type of improvements that are drastically increasing the Mustang's appeal by allowing them to increase refinement AND personality at the same time. If it wasn't removable, I could understand complaints... but come on. Even the people complaining about it will benefit from the Mustang's increased popularity, and the type of thinking that led them to this feature is the type of thinking that is growing the Mustang fan base.

Last edited:

Fasstang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ITGUY
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EBPP
A newbie owner of a EB with 2 newbie questions;
First, I believe that the EB doesnt have such tube...but since I dont know how it looks like I have no clue. But here is my question:
1. I would like to hear the sound of the turbo when works (I don't know if is when it opens or closes or WTH)...but you guys know what sound I am talking about it (hopefully).
2. I want to make my car loud ( I know that it is a 4 cyl and not a GT), but loud so it can sounds more like a muscle car...specially because I don't care about my neighbors. How and what do I have to buy and have it installed, without breaking the bank ? Sorry for going out of the subject of this forum. Again, keep in mind that I don't want to spend too much. Besides that, I intend to keep the car stock...for now.

Sponsored

ForeverMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
A newbie owner of a EB with 2 newbie questions;
First, I believe that the EB doesnt have such tube...but since I dont know how it looks like I have no clue. But here is my question:
1. I would like to hear the sound of the turbo when works (I don't know if is when it opens or closes or WTH)...but you guys know what sound I am talking about it (hopefully).
2. I want to make my car loud ( I know that it is a 4 cyl and not a GT), but loud so it can sounds more like a muscle car...specially because I don't care about my neighbors. How and what do I have to buy and have it installed, without breaking the bank ? Sorry for going out of the subject of this forum. Again, keep in mind that I don't want to spend too much. Besides that, I intend to keep the car stock...for now.
I think in your first question you are asking how you can make the sound of the turbo louder. The best way to do that is with a downpipe and blow off valve. For your second question, it is very easy to make your car loud, just get more aggressive mufflers or an aggressive catback. Electric cutouts are also an option. However, it will never sound like a muscle car in the way that a GT does. Some mufflers/catbacks have a deeper sound than others, though, so look into that.

I'd recommend doing a few exhaust related searches in the Ecoboost section.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't see how people have such strongly negative feelings towards it.
Because it is a somewhat artificial way of gently suggesting to you, the driver, that your car has more power than it would have had if the sound tube had not been fitted. Not as bad/fake as playing a sound track through the audio system, but there's still some deception going on when what you're getting is only what sounds like more power.

I know that this sound tube thing appeals to some people, and as a retired engineer I can accept that it was likely one of the better alternatives - given all the competing requirements - when word came down (probably from marketing) to come up with an acceptable solution to a "too-quiet/too polite" cabin.

Be careful about who you make the Mustang popular with, else it might lose its way.

Norm

ForeverMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
Because it is a somewhat artificial way of gently suggesting to you, the driver, that your car has more power than it would have had if the sound tube had not been fitted. Not as bad/fake as playing a sound track through the audio system, but there's still some deception going on when what you're getting is only what sounds like more power.

I know that this sound tube thing appeals to some people, and as a retired engineer I can accept that it was likely one of the better alternatives - given all the competing requirements - when word came down (probably from marketing) to come up with an acceptable solution to a "too-quiet/too polite" cabin.

Be careful about who you make the Mustang popular with, else it might lose its way.

Norm
I don't think they put the tube in to trick you into thinking the car has more power than it really does. If they stripped out the sound deadening to allow you to hear the engine better, would people label it as a type of trick? They just know that people who buy sporty cars usually like a sporty sound, and in the process of building a car with a relatively hushed and refined interior, they needed a way to pipe a little attitude back in. So they did it. Nobody accuses the dual-mode exhaust on a Camaro of existing to trick owners into thinking their car has more power than it does, it just exists because people like hearing powerful engines. I think I know what you mean when you call it "artificial", but it really isn't. Its purely mechanical and the sounds originate from the engine's actually activity, as you probably know. Some Porsches and other sports cars use similar equipment. I think this approach is much better approach than the Ecoboost's speaker-based exhaust noises, which are truly and completely artificial, as you mentioned. The completely artificial speaker-based sounds are what I consider unacceptable.

This just seems like a great feature that has no drawbacks considering you can remove it for free in minutes if you don't like it. I definitely don't think offering a refined interior is any reason to worry that the Mustang might lose its way; rather its a sign of what a great car the Mustang is becoming. These days people want to have their cake and eat it too, and that means having a docile and (relatively)comfy car when driving in a "regular" manner, while still delivering killer performance, sounds, and an overall more aggressive experience when driven hard. Performance cars at every price, from Mustangs to Ferrari 488s are acknowledging this with their growing flexibility. I mean one of the most common praises for a new McLaren 650S is about how smooth and comfortable the ride quality is for a supercar.

I'm probably beating the horse to death by now but it just does not seem like something that should trigger so many negative reactions. The fact that it is basically a free yet removable feature that heightens the experience on a stock car makes it pretty much faultless for all intents and purposes. Just the fact that Ford developed it is a good sign to me; they want to give the best of both worlds while allowing us to choose whether or not to accept.

Last edited:

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I don't think they put the tube in to trick you into thinking the car has more power than it really does. If they stripped out the sound deadening to allow you to hear the engine better, would people label it as a type of trick? They just know that people who buy sporty cars usually like a sporty sound, and in the process of building a car with a relatively hushed and refined interior, they needed a way to pipe a little attitude back in. So they did it. I think I know what you mean when you call it "artificial", but it really isn't. Its purely mechanical and the sounds originate from the engine itself. Some Porsches and other sports cars use similar equipment. I think this approach is much better approach than the Ecoboost's speaker-based exhaust noises, which are truly and completely artificial, as you mentioned.

This just seems like a great feature that has no drawbacks considering you can remove it for free in minutes if you don't like it. I don't think offering a refined interior is any reason to worry that the Mustang might lose its way. These days people want to have their cake and eat it too, and that means having a docile and (relatively)comfy car when driving in a "regular" manner, while still delivering killer performance, sounds, and an overall more aggressive experience when driven hard. Performance cars at every price, from Mustangs to Ferrari 488s are acknowledging this with their growing flexibility.

I'm probably beating the horse to death by now but it just does not seem like something that should trigger so many negative reactions. The fact that it is basically a free yet removable feature that heightens the experience on a stock car makes it pretty much faultless for all intents and purposes. I really appreciate that Ford offers it.
:clap2::amen:

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't think they put the tube in to trick you into thinking the car has more power than it really does. If they stripped out the sound deadening to allow you to hear the engine better, would people label it as a type of trick? They just know that people who buy sporty cars usually like a sporty sound, and in the process of building a car with a relatively hushed and refined interior, they needed a way to pipe a little attitude back in.
So maybe they refined the interior just a bit too much. Less sound deadening is a performance mod no matter what kind of hard driving you do (less weight, right?).

Nobody accuses the dual-mode exhaust on a Camaro of existing to trick owners into thinking their car has more power than it does, it just exists because people like hearing powerful engines.
I'll give you "fewer people" on the Camaro's NPP exhaust, but they do exist. Count the folks who trick it into always being in the 'loud' mode among them (it's a really simple trick). The Maxima in my sig used to have a similar but purely mechanical dual-mode exhaust, that wasn't even noticeable by anybody I know of who rode in that car.

I defy you to separate the matter of sound levels from the truth of engine power, the way you're presenting the sound tube as being a good mod that you can disconnect.

At least we're in agreement about the truly synthetic approaches to pumping engine sounds into the cabin.

I think I know what you mean when you call it "artificial", but it really isn't. Its purely mechanical and the sounds originate from the engine's actually activity, as you probably know.
It's not as real as the comparable trick used by some back in the carburetor days (flipping the air cleaner lid over to open up the air cleaner assembly for more air in - and more sound out as a by-product.

These days people want to have their cake and eat it too, and that means having a docile and (relatively)comfy car when driving in a "regular" manner, while still delivering killer performance, sounds, and an overall more aggressive experience when driven hard.
IOW, at least as far up the pony/sports/muscle car enthusiast scale as entry-level driving enthusiast, people have become just as spoiled as the mainstream sedan buyer. A shame when you stop to think about it.

I wonder if anybody at either Ford or Chevrolet ever tried to estimate the percentage of buyers who would remove or otherwise disable these features. More than a few guys at those mfrs are pretty serious enthusiasts themselves.

Norm

Last edited:

ForeverMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
So maybe they refined the interior just a bit too much. Less sound deadening is a performance mod no matter what kind of hard driving you do (less weight, right?).

I'll give you "fewer people" on the Camaro's NPP exhaust, but they do exist. Count the folks who trick it into always being in the 'loud' mode among them (it's a really simple trick). The Maxima in my sig used to have a similar but purely mechanical dual-mode exhaust, that wasn't even noticeable by anybody I know of who rode in that car.

I defy you to separate the matter of sound levels from the truth of engine power, the way you're presenting the sound tube as being a good mod that you can disconnect.

At least we're in agreement about the truly synthetic approaches to pumping engine sounds into the cabin.

It's not as real as the comparable trick used by some back in the carburetor days (flipping the air cleaner lid over to open up the air cleaner assembly for more air in - and more sound out as a by-product.

IOW, at least as far up the pony/sports/muscle car enthusiast scale as entry-level driving enthusiast, people have become just as spoiled as the mainstream sedan buyer. A shame when you stop to think about it.

I wonder if anybody at either Ford or Chevrolet ever tried to estimate the percentage of buyers who would remove or otherwise disable these features. More than a few guys at those mfrs are pretty serious enthusiasts themselves.

Norm

You defy me to separate sound and power? They are separate. What else is there to it? I don't think I'm getting your point here at all. Just because sound and power often go together, doesn't mean that the sound tube is supposed to trick people into thinking their car is faster. Its just there because Mustang drivers like engine sounds. There is no deceit or hidden intentions. Its engine sound.

The old carburetor trick, while being related to engine noise, really doesn't have anything to do with the points I'm making. The sound tube is still producing sound through engine activity.

As for refinement, maybe you don't mind louder and cruder interiors, and I can appreciate a little rawness, but most people like to have the best of both worlds when available. I dont think it makes people spoiled for preferring a more well-rounded car. I drive my Mustangs as daily drivers and put on 20-30k miles a year. I LOVE the fact that the newer ones are practically luxury cars inside while still offering awesome power and balanced handling. I can drive a few hours in perfect comfort and tear up any good backroads I find along the way. Thats what makes the Mustang the most rounded performance car for the money in the world, IMO.

I would put money on less than 10% (maybe less than 5%) of people removing the sound tube, and its not like you're more of an enthusiast if you remove it.

I dont think that its a "shame" that we are "spoiled" by cars with greater flexibility. Its more of a blessing, IMO.

Its really a simple matter in my mind: people like a sporty sound from a sporty car. The sound tube allows a refined interior with a sporty engine sound. If you don't like it, spend a few minutes removing it.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
If you ever step into the gas just to hear the engine roar, and think for only a moment that "hey, I think this car might be fast", being fooled is exactly what's going on.

The carb trick added a little power, or at least it did before the OE's started ducting intake air from outside the (hot) engine compartment. The sound tube adds 0 HP and 0 torque. See any difference here? If I want to have (or have to have) more intake sound, there'd better be a little more power coming along with it, otherwise it's just another gimmick. Function (for the driving part) over form, if you please.

Mustang needn't be setting their sights on out-Lexusing Lexus here . . .

Yeah, I could easily live with far less refinement than even what my '08 has, do so without sacrificing any of its use-ability, and I'd still enjoy the car just as much. Then again, under the right weather conditions I could jump into '32 hotrod or a Caterham 7 and go most anywhere without thinking twice. As long as I didn't have to cart much stuff, anyway. Maybe this picture ↓↓↓ will put my perspective for "people have become spoiled" across a little better. That's not me driving, but I've ridden in that car under the conditions pictured.

Norm

ForeverMachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang GT
If you ever step into the gas just to hear the engine roar, and think for only a moment that "hey, I think this car might be fast", being fooled is exactly what's going on.

The carb trick added a little power, or at least it did before the OE's started ducting intake air from outside the (hot) engine compartment. The sound tube adds 0 HP and 0 torque. See any difference here? If I want to have (or have to have) more intake sound, there'd better be a little more power coming along with it, otherwise it's just another gimmick. Function (for the driving part) over form, if you please.

Mustang needn't be setting their sights on out-Lexusing Lexus here . . .

Yeah, I could easily live with far less refinement than even what my '08 has, do so without sacrificing any of its use-ability, and I'd still enjoy the car just as much. Then again, under the right weather conditions I could jump into '32 hotrod or a Caterham 7 and go most anywhere without thinking twice. As long as I didn't have to cart much stuff, anyway. Maybe this picture ↓↓↓ will put my perspective for "people have become spoiled" across a little better. That's not me driving, but I've ridden in that car under the conditions pictured.

Norm
No matter how intertwined you try and make sound and power, they are not that hard to separate and people still enjoy the engine sound in a sporty car. I just don't see your point. People like to hear that engine. Period. Regardless of its relation to power, there is nothing wrong with enjoying the sound of an engine.

The carburetor trick is completely irrelevant to my point. So it added a few ponies. Big deal? You know what percent of Mustang drivers can feel less than a 10 hp difference? Very few. Do you know how many people change the mufflers on their car? They aren't spending a couple hundred dollars to gain an unnoticeable amount of power. They are spending the money because they like an aggressive sound. If a mod adds 5 hp, it might as well add 0 because only the most dedicated racer is going to seriously care about 5 hp. Function over form? The function of the sound tube is to deliver engine sound to the cabin. Sounds like it functions perfectly to me.

The whole point remains that they found a way to give us a refined interior without blocking out all the engine sound and they did so without resorting to electronic or artificial means. I see nothing wrong with the tube and people who take such a ridiculously strong stance against something that many people like and is easily removed by those who don't, it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Also, the existence of hardcore cars does not make modern drivers spoiled. You can still buy hardcore cars or make one yourself. But most people like balance and flexibility, and doing so doesn't make you any less of an enthusiast. Not everyone has money for both an extreme weekender and a docile daily driver.

At this point, I guess we have to agree to disagree. I'll just end on the note that I really appreciate Ford putting on the sound tube, and luckily for the people who get so worked up about it, they are not stuck with it.
Sponsored