Sponsored

Somehow disable auto dim mirror on CoPilot 360?

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
So, on my 2021 I have that copilot option so it has adaptive cruise etc. i tinted my rears to 5% and yet SOMEHOW my stupid rear view mirror still dims. I can’t stand it. When i tinted my old 2014 to 15 percent, it stopped dimming. This one won’t at 5. Is there anyway to disable this feature? I can’t see a damn thing when it’s on, and 5% is already so dark lol
Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Until someone comes up with a more elegant solution, I guess a small black sticker placed over the rear-facing light sensor should do the trick. The sensor is in the middle of the mirror, close to the upper edge.

Screenshot 2021-12-05 at 12.45.18.png

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Back up anti dim wire :like:

WD :like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So, on my 2021 I have that copilot option so it has adaptive cruise etc. i tinted my rears to 5% and yet SOMEHOW my stupid rear view mirror still dims. I can’t stand it. When i tinted my old 2014 to 15 percent, it stopped dimming. This one won’t at 5. Is there anyway to disable this feature? I can’t see a damn thing when it’s on, and 5% is already so dark lol
I know you’re pissed about the tint job but your blaming a mirror for your action is wrong. The logic in the mirror is designed to dim at night when it’s gets dark. So your tint is so dark the mirror thinks it night all the time, hence it dims. The fact that you cannot see a damn thing is the reason dark tints are illegal in most states. They may look cool when your not behind the wheel but are dangerous when you are.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know you’re pissed about the tint job but your blaming a mirror for your action is wrong. The logic in the mirror is designed to dim at night when it’s gets dark. So your tint is so dark the mirror thinks it night all the time, hence it dims. The fact that you cannot see a damn thing is the reason dark tints are illegal in most states. They may look cool when your not behind the wheel but are dangerous when you are.
Lol no, i hated it before the tint. I tinted my last stang for the same reason, except that tint fixed it and it never went into that green mode. I want it to be exactly the same as it is during the day, because things are visible out the back. Believe me at night with the 5% tint, i can still see out the back if a car isn’t behind me. My thing is, and I’ve always been this way, is that I want to be able to make out the car behind me so I can tell if it’s a cop lol. I always read plates. Can’t read them with the tint at night obviously, but I can make out the car before the stupid dim kicks in.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The sensor is really hard to see but based on a euro, a dark night, a torch held in just the right place and your head in just the right place you can see it behind the glass.

It’s dead centre about 15mm down from the top edge - it’s about 8mm diameter.

The mirror also defo kills the dimming when reserve is engaged so you have both options to disable it available to you :like:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The mirror also defo kills the dimming when reserve is engaged so you have both options to disable it available to you :like:
The problem is, I don't think there's a "reverse wire" that you could highjack. I bet the mirror receives the reverse information via CAN from the PCM.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
The problem is, I don't think there's a "reverse wire" that you could highjack. I bet the mirror receives the reverse information via CAN from the PCM.
There is one on my Kia, but I don’t know about the Mustang :like:

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eh i put a little piece of electrical tape over the mirror sensor and it works. Ugly as hell but it works. Now I can actually see out the back window at night when a car is behind me and I obviously don’t get blinded since it’s 5% tint lol

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There is one on my Kia, but I don’t know about the Mustang :like:
I also don't know about the Mustang, but I know about the Mondeo. In the Mondeo the mirror is not just a plastic enclosing with a piece of glass at the front. It's a powerful computer, which controls everything that has to do with the windscreen sensors (traffic sign recognition, active city stop, collision alert, lane assist, you name it) and communicates by CAN with other modules (mostly with the IPC).
I'd be surprised to find that they did it differently in the Mustang.

Sponsored
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also don't know about the Mustang, but I know about the Mondeo. In the Mondeo the mirror is not just a plastic enclosing with a piece of glass at the front. It's a powerful computer, which controls everything that has to do with the windscreen sensors (traffic sign recognition, active city stop, collision alert, lane assist, you name it) and communicates by CAN with other modules (mostly with the IPC).
I'd be surprised to find that they did it differently in the Mustang.
The copilot camera is what does all that, which is behind the mirror but the mirror is plugged into it

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The copilot camera is what does all that,
The camera merely reads the road ahead. But it's the mirror that takes the data from the camera (or cameras, in the case of the Mondeo) and forwards it to the relevant modules, sometimes using the IPC as a proxy. I know the IPC is generally at the center of all the communication, but not always, and I don't know exactly when it is and when it isn't.
For instance, it's the IPC that decides that the information received from the mirror warrants a flashing warning message and a loud shriek. But if the brakes must also be applied, is it the IPC that forwards this information to the ABS module? Or does the ABS module take it directly from the mirror? I don't know. I suspect it's the former, because the information regarding the sensitivity level, or whether the automatic braking is active at all, is in the IPC. So it must actually be the IPC that decides if, and when, the brakes must be applied.

Anyway, small details aside, the idea is that all these modules, the mirror included, are sophisticated computers running complex pieces of software, and there's a lot of digital communication going on between them. The days of a direct wire carrying 12V to an on/off switch are mostly gone. At least at Ford; other brands may be different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The camera merely reads the road ahead. But it's the mirror that takes the data from the camera (or cameras, in the case of the Mondeo) and forwards it to the relevant modules, sometimes using the IPC as a proxy. I know the IPC is generally at the center of all the communication, but not always, and I don't know exactly when it is and when it isn't.
For instance, it's the IPC that decides that the information received from the mirror warrants a flashing warning message and a loud shriek. But if the brakes must also be applied, is it the IPC that forwards this information to the ABS module? Or does the ABS module take it directly from the mirror? I don't know. I suspect it's the former, because the information regarding the sensitivity level, or whether the automatic braking is active at all, is in the IPC. So it must actually be the IPC that decides if, and when, the brakes must be applied.

Anyway, small details aside, the idea is that all these modules, the mirror included, are sophisticated computers running complex pieces of software, and there's a lot of digital communication going on between them. The days of a direct wire carrying 12V to an on/off switch are mostly gone. At least at Ford; other brands may be different.
Very true. Guess that means Ill keep my ugly square piece of electric tape over the sensor lol

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would look for a small mustang decal.

If you can’t find one, eBay will have sheets of vinyl dots for cheap - I would go with satin black 10mm diameter and just make sure you position it accurately :like:

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would look for a small mustang decal.

If you can’t find one, eBay will have sheets of vinyl dots for cheap - I would go with satin black 10mm diameter and just make sure you position it accurately :like:

Good thinking!! It’s a very small sensor.
Sponsored