Some comments Mach 1 vs 2019 Bullitt

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I thought I would post some observations comparing the Bullitt to the M 1. Anyone is welcome to add to these observations.

I bought a new 2019 Bullitt about 2 1/2 years ago. Though never tracked it, I did drag race it both in stock form and with a Whipple on it.

Yesterday I picked up the M 1 I ordered back in January. Picked it up at Granger Motors near Des Moines, IA and drove it back to my house in Oakland, MI.

I put about 600 miles on the M 1 in that 2 day stretch. I wanted to comment while the comparison is stiff fresh in my mind.

The M1 and the Bullitt have the same tires though the M1's rims are 1/2" wider. That said, the M1 definitely has a noisier cabin. Similar roads produce a bit more NVH in the M1, likely to be expected with the GT350 and 500 Parts.

The power feels the same to me stock for stock even though the gearing is slightly better on the M1.

The transmission, as everyone expected, is significantly better on the M1. Shorter throws, crisper engagement than the Bullitt. The clutch engagement for whatever reason is significantly better. Whether that is the transmission or the clutch, I do not know. I just know the car is more enjoyable to drive, and I like my Bullitt. The transmission/clutch engagement is a significant upgrade.

Seats feel the same to me.

Zero. Absolute zero tramlining. This thing steers firm and straight as an arrow. I don't remember the Bullitt except to say it also was good. The M1 feels tight, firm and straight. Really like it.

Of course the brakes are the same which is to say, excellent on both.

Rev matching, same.

Handling is too soon to tell, though I took the cloverleafs enough to say the M1 handles better than the Bullitt for sure.

Exhaust on both are excellent, though different. The M1 is louder. More race car feeling and sounding whereas the Bullitt a deeper sound. They both pop a little on downshifting. If you like this, and I do, sounds excellent on both.

I like the black hood stripe a lot. Being an old muscle car owner, I reminds me of the similar stripe my 1970 Roadrunner had. Just adds something that the other Mustangs I had did not.

Lastly, I am leaning towards doing a Whipple this winter. I remember the instant torque and the incredible sound of the stock exhaust with the Whipple boost and tune.

I am pleased with the car. It is/was immaculate when I picked it up. Full tank of gas. $3,991 discount off sticker (see Zach at Granger Motors for more info). The Iconic Silver is better in person than the pictures. Something really pops looking at it.

Gas mileage so far highway and city, but mostly highway: 23.4 MPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Agreed!!

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Thanks for the write up Bob and congrats on taking delivery! I’m looking forward to your thoughts on the whipple if you go forward with that idea

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I thought I would post some observations comparing the Bullitt to the M 1. Anyone is welcome to add to these observations.

I bought a new 2019 Bullitt about 2 1/2 years ago. Though never tracked it, I did drag race it both in stock form and with a Whipple on it.

Yesterday I picked up the M 1 I ordered back in January. Picked it up at Granger Motors near Des Moines, IA and drove it back to my house in Oakland, MI.

I put about 600 miles on the M 1 in that 2 day stretch. I wanted to comment while the comparison is stiff fresh in my mind.

The M1 and the Bullitt have the same tires though the M1's rims are 1/2" wider. That said, the M1 definitely has a noisier cabin. Similar roads produce a bit more NVH in the M1, likely to be expected with the GT350 and 500 Parts.

The power feels the same to me stock for stock even though the gearing is slightly better on the M1.

The transmission, as everyone expected, is significantly better on the M1. Shorter throws, crisper engagement than the Bullitt. The clutch engagement for whatever reason is significantly better. Whether that is the transmission or the clutch, I do not know. I just know the car is more enjoyable to drive, and I like my Bullitt. The transmission/clutch engagement is a significant upgrade.

Seats feel the same to me.

Zero. Absolute zero tramlining. This thing steers firm and straight as an arrow. I don't remember the Bullitt except to say it also was good. The M1 feels tight, firm and straight. Really like it.

Of course the brakes are the same which is to say, excellent on both.

Rev matching, same.

Handling is too soon to tell, though I took the cloverleafs enough to say the M1 handles better than the Bullitt for sure.

Exhaust on both are excellent, though different. The M1 is louder. More race car feeling and sounding whereas the Bullitt a deeper sound. They both pop a little on downshifting. If you like this, and I do, sounds excellent on both.

I like the black hood stripe a lot. Being an old muscle car owner, I reminds me of the similar stripe my 1970 Roadrunner had. Just adds something that the other Mustangs I had did not.

Lastly, I am leaning towards doing a Whipple this winter. I remember the instant torque and the incredible sound of the stock exhaust with the Whipple boost and tune.

I am pleased with the car. It is/was immaculate when I picked it up. Full tank of gas. $3,991 discount off sticker (see Zach at Granger Motors for more info). The Iconic Silver is better in person than the pictures. Something really pops looking at it.

Gas mileage so far highway and city, but mostly highway: 23.4 MPG
Congratulations Bob on your Mach 1 and nice write-up!

I too use to own a 19 Bullitt and it was very nice to drive but one of the telling things that bothered me was the long gears and I would have to stretch out the gears to catch 3rd gear. Maybe I was spoiled from driving gt350 so my question is do you feel the Mach 1 is able to accomplish this much easier due to the gearing or is it about the same?

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreenS550

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately I believe the gearing is still too long. I'm my opinion, a 4.25 or so rear axle ratio would be excellent. I remember a guy put 488 gears in his Bullitt and loved it. He got a tune from Streeda if I remember correctly and it fixed the rev match and other issues. He did a video that might still be out there.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
I’m still wondering how much better is than my 2020 PP2. I know the trans is. I have the power pack 2 installed on my car so I would think the engine performance is real close.
Sponsored