Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
the spring keeps them closed so if the actuator stopped working the spring pressure would close the valve
Hello; I did not know the pneumatic actuators used springs. My guess has been the air pressure bothe opened and closed the valves. A question; Valve float is often due to valve springs not keeping up with the RPM. A solution is to have stronger springs often with two springs nested together. My question is how do springs in a pneumatic/free valve setup overcome the springs inherent issues?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Thanks. Good information. The cutaways show springs to close the valves. One good thing appears to be some actuator failures will allow the springs to close the valve.

About combustion engines being a dead end. Not sure that will happen and still too early to make that call. One thing is we can make or find combustible liquids/gases. The powers that may come could try to outlaw ICE on the highways is about the only way I can see us not having use of an ICE.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Hello; Thanks. Good information. The cutaways show springs to close the valves. One good thing appears to be some actuator failures will allow the springs to close the valve.

About combustion engines being a dead end. Not sure that will happen and still too early to make that call. One thing is we can make or find combustible liquids/gases. The powers that may come could try to outlaw ICE on the highways is about the only way I can see us not having use of an ICE.
I edited my previous post and included a more descriptive FreeValve link.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The powers that may come could try to outlaw ICE on the highways is about the only way I can see us not having use of an ICE.

Music: Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson
Lyrics: Neil Peart

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law
Sundays I elude the ‘Eyes’, and hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire, where my white-haired uncle waits
Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the borderline
Run like the wind
As excitement shivers up and down my spine
Down in his barn
My uncle preserved for me an old machine –
For fifty-odd years
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream
I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime…
Wind in my hair –
Shifting and drifting –
Mechanical music
Adrenalin surge –
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware
Suddenly ahead of me, across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires, to run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase
Drive like the wind
Straining the limits of machine and man
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I’ve got a desperate plan
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded
At the riverside
Race back to the farm
To dream with my uncle
At the fireside…

moving-picture-cover-600x600.jpg

moving-pictures-back-cover-600x600.jpg

Buy

Stream

Share this Song

Songs on this album

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
@GregO

Why did you delete that beautiful picture?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Music: Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson
Lyrics: Neil Peart

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law
Sundays I elude the ‘Eyes’, and hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire, where my white-haired uncle waits

I strip away the old debris, that hides a shining car
A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!
Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime…

Suddenly ahead of me, across the mountainside
A gleaming alloy air-car shoots towards me, two lanes wide
I spin around with shrieking tires, to run the deadly race
Go screaming through the valley as another joins the chase

moving-picture-cover-600x600.jpg

moving-pictures-back-cover-600x600.jpg

Buy

Stream

Share this Song

Songs on this album
Hello; That brings back memories of 1982. I was dating the soon to be second wife. She lived about 22 miles away. The drive was twisty two-lane southeast KY back roads. After i took her home I popped that RUSH cassette for a quick drive home in a 1972 Porsche 914. I had put in some decent speakers and a strong radio/cassette player. My favorite tune was Tom Sawyer. Sometimes i played ZZ Top's Eliminator.

Hello; I have no illusions about the true believers. There is no limit to what they will do if given a chance. Whatever concessions they get on any day will not be enough. More will be demanded.
A thing is I was once among them until agenda outstripped reason. I still would like more progress toward a cleaner environment. Lots of good strides already have been made with cleaning up ICE. EV's have a place to be sure but they are not a magic solution.

OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
My favorite tune was Tom Sawyer.
At that time I was heavily into the blues and thought Rush had sold out.

Neil saw the writing on the wall back in 81.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
EV's have a place to be sure but they are not a magic solution.
Agreed, EV’s do leave most all rural Americans behind. EV’s on the Four 6’s or King Ranch, not a snowflake chance in hell, EV’s in the grain belt, nope again. EV’s on the east & west coast, Chicago, Atlanta etc. now those are places where wages and short travel distance justify EV’s.
MAN etruck, subsidiary of VW has a range of 490 miles, perfect for Europe, now try that in the USA where one state can be the size of a European country.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K4fxd

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Agreed, EV’s do leave most all rural Americans behind. EV’s on the Four 6’s or King Ranch, not a snowflake chance in hell, EV’s in the grain belt, nope again.
Not to mention Ford raised the price of an EV by 6000 dollars due to battery costs.

RacingRoger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ, F-150 Lariat. Future: G6 Mustang GT
Anyone remember the Pete Jackson gear drive for the Windsor engines?
Little known fact but there is one Mustang does have a gear drive for cam timing.
Does anyone remember which Mustang had the factory installed gear drive?
Sorry I'm late to the game, and somebody already answered this...
My first Mustang had this engine in it -- The Cologne V6. Light blue 1974 hatchback. The rocker panel around the bottom was painted black and had "Mach 1" vinyl stenciling on the lower back of the front fender behind the front wheel. (Can't confirm if it was a real Mach 1). Anywhoo, One day I was pissed for some reason and beat the crap out of the car, which shortly stopped running for some odd reason. Long story short, that gear drive timing setup consisted of a steel gear on the crank and a cam gear with a steel body that had a ring of nylon teeth around that gear. Apparently I had stripped all but three of the nylon teeth off the cam gear. No idler gears -- The engine was so small they put the crank gear right against the cam gear.
As far as the noise, the nylon teeth kept it quiet. But the nylon teeth did not last under my lead foot...
On a side note, how many of you knew that the 1974 Mustang model year was the only Mustang in the history of Mustangs that you could not get a factory V8 in? Only a 4 or V-6 were available....

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I'm late to the game, and somebody already answered this...
My first Mustang had this engine in it -- The Cologne V6. Light blue 1974 hatchback. The rocker panel around the bottom was painted black and had "Mach 1" vinyl stenciling on the lower back of the front fender behind the front wheel. (Can't confirm if it was a real Mach 1). Anywhoo, One day I was pissed for some reason and beat the crap out of the car, which shortly stopped running for some odd reason. Long story short, that gear drive timing setup consisted of a steel gear on the crank and a cam gear with a steel body that had a ring of nylon teeth around that gear. Apparently I had stripped all but three of the nylon teeth off the cam gear. No idler gears -- The engine was so small they put the crank gear right against the cam gear.
As far as the noise, the nylon teeth kept it quiet. But the nylon teeth did not last under my lead foot...
On a side note, how many of you knew that the 1974 Mustang model year was the only Mustang in the history of Mustangs that you could not get a factory V8 in? Only a 4 or V-6 were available....
Hello; I have seen worn gears with the nylon teeth. Never one with stripped teeth but when it was my choice those gears were replaced with more noisy all metal type.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's the war on ICE that is stopping the progress. A 500 WHP car that got 50 mpg and drove as smooth as a camry would sell like hot cakes. Too bad the coming generation thinks the world is coming to an end due to oil.
More like most people don't care about 500HP, and wouldn't pay for a car that has 500 when one thats 180 is massively cheaper. They care about getting from A-B quietly and comfortable with 0 effort in a reliable cost effective way. That why a freaking Honda Civic is a massively better sales than the Mustang, why automatics not only outsell manuals but now also out-perform them. Thats why the MACH-E sold better than the Coupe last month. Companies put the R&D where the profits are.

Look at what people ACTUALLY buy in large sales numbers. THAT is what drives the market because THAT is where the profits are.

This isnt about "the coming generation" its about people having to think more with their wallets due to the economy being fucked up for decades than thinking about what is fun.

Since 1990 if Minimum Wage(currently 7.25) kept up with inflation it would be over $11. If it kept up with housing prices it would be about $22-25 and if it kept up with corporate profits Min wage would be about $85.

This isn't about "oil ending the world" it's also VERY much about not being able to even afford oil/gas, and rebates/incentives and lower electric prices make Hybrids and Electric cars appeal MUCH more than something with 500HP due to long term costs. The average car now costs about 40K, and the average loan is about 7yrs. When spending 40K on a car buying the one that costs a lot less to fuel and maintain and has a 7-10yr warranty is just logical to your bank account.
Sponsored