BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
From brand new to gone in 150 track km
...because you didn't have enough camber.

You cannot blame the tire manufacturer when the tire is abused like that. The shoulder wear pattern is excessive and indicates lack of camber and probably not near enough tire pressure.
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
...because you didn't have enough camber.

You cannot blame the tire manufacturer when the tire is abused like that. The shoulder wear pattern is excessive and indicates lack of camber and probably not near enough tire pressure.
I deflate my tires to 27 F 26 B cold I don't like the factory recommended 32 for the track. The Shoulder wear pattern is because of a curb as I mentioned. And I agree on the -2.5 camber needed.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Thanks for all the help. I learned a lot from this thread. From the information gathered here I'm thinking to upgrade the items below.

1. SVE R350 wheels with Potenza RE-71R in either 305 square or 285/305 if I go staggered.
2. Steeda camber plates (Front: camber -2.5 toe 0 .......... Rear: -1.75 with toe .10)
3. Possibly a 3:55 diff if I can 100% confirm that it will not need a tune with the 6R80.

I plan to run the stock PP brakes and rotors for now, but eventually I may add some Steeda 2 piece rotors and some sort of cooling, either ducts or PP air deflectors/belly pan.

I'm guessing these improvements should make a pretty capable track car on top of my current upgrades.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for all the help. I learned a lot from this thread. From the information gathered here I'm thinking to upgrade the items below.

1. SVE R350 wheels with Potenza RE-71R in either 305 square or 285/305 if I go staggered.
2. Steeda camber plates (Front: camber -2.5 toe 0 .......... Rear: -1.75 with toe .10)
3. Possibly a 3:55 diff if I can 100% confirm that it will not need a tune with the 6R80.

I plan to run the stock PP brakes and rotors for now, but eventually I may add some Steeda 2 piece rotors and some sort of cooling, either ducts or PP air deflectors/belly pan.

I'm guessing these improvements should make a pretty capable track car on top of my current upgrades.
You will likely need to worry about trans cooling well before you think about things like 2-piece rotors, and the ~$600 (new) price for the PP belly pan/splitter is much higher value than the rotors.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You will likely need to worry about trans cooling well before you think about things like 2-piece rotors, and the ~$600 (new) price for the PP belly pan/splitter is much higher value than the rotors.
Luckily it appears the 6R80 aftermarket coolers are relatively cheap and easy installs.

For the price of the PP belly pan, splitter, and deflectors, I'm wondering it it will be just as effective and cheaper to get a brake duct kit and the Raxiom halo fog lights modified to work with them. If I didn't just spend $350 on a California Special splitter I would definitely go with the PP setup, the route I probably should have went in the beginning.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

Considering you have the Brembos already, the front rotor design is correct unlike the Base GT/EB PP is. That's the only reason I got the Steeda rotors, to correct the backwards rotor design. If I had to do it again I would have just gotten Brembos and used the OEM PP pads. If you get the PP air deflectors and belly pan - there was a new discovery about a better way to redirect air for brake cooling that is better than venting a hose to it. You've probably seen it or if not we can point it out to you.

One thing I like about the Torsen beyond the obvious is it's durable. Depending on how hard you drive it those clutch packs in the stock diff can wear out very quickly. You'd be hard pressed I think to wear out the Torsen for what you are doing. I never thought I'd find a good used one out of a 18 or 19 car since those cars are so new, but idiots crash them everyday. Or they quickly supercharge their car and want 3.15s and they can't get rid of it fast enough - then it's easy pickins. Just have to be patient. Ask @Tommy V - he's one who stated that the speed is determined by the OSS of the trans. Dakota at Lund told me the same thing. I don't have proof that it will work on a stock untuned car, but look around or ask around and I'm sure you'll find the answer.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Luckily it appears the 6R80 aftermarket coolers are relatively cheap and easy installs.

For the price of the PP belly pan, splitter, and deflectors, I'm wondering it it will be just as effective and cheaper to get a brake duct kit and the Raxiom halo fog lights modified to work with them. If I didn't just spend $350 on a California Special splitter I would definitely go with the PP setup, the route I probably should have went in the beginning.
Forget the brake duct kit IMO. See my other comment. And on the Cali Special splitter don't worry you're not alone. I did the same thing LOL.

OP
OP
2015Etrac

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forget the brake duct kit IMO. See my other comment. And on the Cali Special splitter don't worry you're not alone. I did the same thing LOL.
Haha, yeah. I wasn't even thinking about cooling or tracking the car when I bought it. Did you switch to the PP splitter and are you running the base 14" brakes with the Steeda rotors?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I still will not consider Hankook again for track though. For TW300 this tire wear was amazingly fast. From brand new to gone in 150 track km. Otherwise Camber plates are a must if I continue to run this circuit and I will :D. Obviously professionally adjusted camber plates. I have a long list of suspension upgrades planned for the winter and I plan to buy SVE PP2 replica wheels with 285/35/19 Cup 2 for the track so I can have a set for the street.
That’s fine, but nobody here is recommending 300TW tires. The RS4 is a 200TW tire and by all accounts holds up better to track abuse from a heavy car than nearly anything else. If you don’t have first hand experience with the precise tire model, and only have once used some other random 300TW tire in the brand’s lineup, how does that make sense? By the same logic you shouldn’t ever put Spot Cup 2 tires on a Mustang for road course because the Michelin snow tires are real crap on a Camry at the drag strip.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
On our HPDE Mustang we run the Hawk DTC 60 front and the DTC 30 rear. we can run a full 30 min session at PBIR turning 1:28 Lap times.We were using the production PP deflectors with no fade
Steeda Tech

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
On our HPDE Mustang we run the Hawk DTC 60 front and the DTC 30 rear. we can run a full 30 min session at PBIR turning 1:28 Lap times.We were using the production PP deflectors with no fade
Steeda Tech
I already have the Steeda2 piece rotors and will be switching to those pads next season. How hard are those pads on the Steeda 2 piece rotors? I've gone through about 4 or 5 sets of pads so far on the rotors and less than 1/2 mm off the rotors.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda Tech
Do you have them in your Europe Shop ? I consider this for track day pads as well.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
I already have the Steeda2 piece rotors and will be switching to those pads next season. How hard are those pads on the Steeda 2 piece rotors? I've gone through about 4 or 5 sets of pads so far on the rotors and less than 1/2 mm off the rotors.
They work great with our rotors,you will be very pleased!

Steeda Tech

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Do you have them in your Europe Shop ? I consider this for track day pads as well.
Check with Robbie at Steeda UK. I'm sure he will be able to help you.
Sponsored