Small Gouge on Center Sync Panel

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So, I absolutely love the Mach 1 and the dealer delivered it without any damages EXCEPT the center console where the Sync3 screen is housed, either by the dealer pre-delivery of at the factor has a gouge and I'm not sure if I should just bite the bullet and ignore it or escalate and if so how and where. So here is a closeup and a request for some wisdom.

DamagedSync.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
So, obviously this defect/damage is not normal on a new car and you have every right to have ford fix it....which bring the real question: will more damage be done in the process of fixing it ?
If I was you I would show it to the service manager at the dealership and ask him what is the procedure to remove and replace this panel
You can ask him to give you a print out of the procedure from the service manual
You will then be better able to decide what you want to do

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
So, obviously this defect/damage is not normal on a new car and you have every right to have ford fix it....which bring the real question: will more damage be done in the process of fixing it ?
If I was you I will show it to the service manager at the dealership and ask him what is the procedure to remove and replace this panel
You can ask him to give you a print out of the procedure from the service manual
You will then be better able to decide what you want to do
Excellent advice. I will contact the gentleman on Monday. We have already met. Hopefully this will have a happy conclusion. It really isn't a large gouge, but I know it's there and see it in my field of vision when I am noodling with sync.

I'll update here after I discuss with the Service Manager.

Thanks for your wisdom.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Be careful what you ask for bro. They may screw up more trying to fix it.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Btw, mine has a small scratch too. I am leaving well enough alone. That entire center stack as to come out to replace it ................ "I think not !" :facepalm: " Oy Gevalt ............ :wink:

Sponsored

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Btw, mine has a small scratch too. I am leaving well enough alone. That entire center stack as to come out to replace it ................ "I think not !" :facepalm: " Oy Gevalt ............ :wink:
I wish they could just be sanded and fixed, but the plastic may not be workable.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Get them to source the trim and agree to fix it yourself.

Either do it yourself, or just keep the trim until you have a genuine reason to work around that area and then replace it as part of whatever you are doing :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
hbash

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Get them to source the trim and agree to fix it yourself.

Either do it yourself, or just keep the trim until you have a genuine reason to work around that area and then replace it as part of whatever you are doing :like:

WD :like:
It's really not a piece of trim though. I think it is the face plate that the Sync screen is framed with. Here is another vehicle for reference of the section with the gouge:

1619934537815.png

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I wish they could just be sanded and fixed, but the plastic may not be workable.
Howard, Keep in mind that a dealership tech must refer to the shop manual for guidance. This is not something he does repetitively five days a week as do the assembly line workers that are at a workstation. IMHO, there is too much margin for error. If the dealer tech brakes a small plastic clip, he/she isn't going to say diddly. Simply put things back together quietly and go on to the next work ticket. A dealership tech gets paid to beat the clock ! Also, warranty work has a fixed pay rate that is lower than what is paid for a cash ticket ............ "Your car, your choice"

GotNotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Z71
That sucks. My worry would be when it goes back together it would start having some sort of rattles.

I want to add dash cams but I worry about noise after removing and reinstalling panels.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
If it were mine, I would get some matt black paint and as carefully as possible, try to make it blend in, filling just the scratch.

On other cars in the past, I used to trust dealers to fix such things. But I learned quickly that they would fix one thing and break or damage other parts.

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I'd just live with it. Unless you want a museum piece. There will be other scuffs and scratches.

Way too risky to have the service monkeys working on it.

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I agree with the comment of just touching it up with a matching paint or marker pen.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I would not be so negative, you do have some good techs and if the service manager know beforehand how you will scrutinize the work they do, they will be more careful
Just be honest with the service manager and share your concerns
Also if that is the selling dealership, they have an extra incentive to do the work correctly
It’s your car and if this defect really bug you, you are entitled to have it fixed.
And there is a difference between accepting damages that you are responsible for and defect from the factory
I believe that you still need more info in order to make an educated decision

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
I would not be so negative, you do have some good techs and if the service manager know beforehand how you will scrutinize the work they do, they will be more careful
Just be honest with the service manager and share your concerns
Also if that is the selling dealership, they have an extra incentive to do the work correctly
It’s your car and if this defect really bug you, you are entitled to have it fixed.
And there is a difference between accepting damages that you are responsible for and defect from the factory
I believe that you still need more info in order to make an educated decision
So one has to request that they be careful and do a competent job?

That's one reason I avoid dealerships.
Sponsored