W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 ORANGUSTANG
Vehicle Showcase
They can stop anybody. VOSA was actually merged with the Driving Standards Agency and became the DVSA in 2014. .
Sorry Ben - I dont think this is correct IMHO (no offence intended here - but Im not sure about this stopping power!)

The only powers a DVSA officer has on a private vehicle would be a citizens arrest (same as all of us) in England, Scotland and Wales - NI is slightly different though (they have the DVA with different powers)

I have to say that if a DVSA officer attempted to stop me in my Mustang - I would not stop and I would call the police:giggle:

The DVSA DO have the powers to stop commercial vehicles - "They can stop vans, lorries, buses and coaches. The police and DVSA have the power to carry out spot checks on your commercial vehicle and issue prohibitions if necessary."
Sponsored

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
Sorry Ben - I dont think this is correct IMHO (no offence intended here - but Im not sure about this stopping power!)

The only powers a DVSA officer has on a private vehicle would be a citizens arrest (same as all of us) in England, Scotland and Wales - NI is slightly different though (they have the DVA with different powers)

I have to say that if a DVSA officer attempted to stop me in my Mustang - I would not stop and I would call the police:giggle:

The DVSA DO have the powers to stop commercial vehicles - "They can stop vans, lorries, buses and coaches. The police and DVSA have the power to carry out spot checks on your commercial vehicle and issue prohibitions if necessary."
I thought the same as you and their focus is (was?) definitely on those with operator licences and other commercials (e.g. vans) but the words "a DVSA examiner can deal with any vehicle on the road, and issue a fixed-penalty notice or notices if appropriate." appear on the government guidance pages.
I welcome seeing them on the M25 having spent years dodging unsafe foreign commercial operators but I've also seen them cruising my local area clamping cars in the street presumably for failure to tax or insure. I think the general point is not to give them anything to provoke their interest especially if running something that is open to interpretation :bandit:. Kent Police also recently tweeted the point that if you don't have legal plates then ANPR won't be much help getting your car back if it's nicked.

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I still maintain...anyone who tries to stop me... not in a police vehicle.
.and I ain't stopping! The police are the only authority authorised to stop a moving vehicle due to a suspicion of a breach of the law.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
I still maintain...anyone who tries to stop me... not in a police vehicle.
.and I ain't stopping! The police are the only authority authorised to stop a moving vehicle due to a suspicion of a breach of the law.
Go for it. If you post the dash cam footage I'm sure we'll crowd fund your defence. :like:

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
I got collared while in a lay-by by a vosa guy in 2005 and made to remove my front window tints or have the car taken off me by police, twats.

Sponsored

W111BOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So as Adam said ..."or have the car taken off me by police...."

they themselves have absolutely no legal jurisdiction at all... on a private vehicle.

Crowd fund all you want...:giggle:

the only rights they themselves have is citizens arrest.

... So I repeat.... any fucker who is not a police officer who tries to stop my mustang whilst I am driving can sod off...
or they can get the police involved

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 V8
Plates now fitted so hopefully will be without too much hassle or unwanted attention ...
AE7A34F6-673E-4058-8C76-163661A74B5B.jpeg
Sponsored