Number Plates - UK

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Hi folks,

I have the plastic number plate surrounds fitted to my Stang along with lovely dealer branded, red bordered plates...

As much as I love them, I have decided to replace. My first question is, where is a decent place to get plates made up online? I brought a pair a few years back & they were sh1t - water got between the clear plastic & the plate, don't ask me how! Anyway they looked a mess, they were black at the back rather than what I would have imagined - just a single piece of clear acrylic with the white/yellow backing.

Secondly, I am leaning towards screwing mine on, as I already have holes in the bumper. Means I can be confident they won't fall off & I don't have to worry about removing sticky pads a few years down the line. Easy to swap in a new pair as well. Any way I don't want to screw through the letters obviously so was wondering if anyone out there knew how far apart the holes are? Assuming it's the same front & back but don't know.
Sponsored

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
I bought plates of myshowplates and plates4cars around 3 years ago and both sets are still looking good, have ordered a new set of plates from another company for my Mustang and should be with me tomorrow so will let you know what they look like when I see them :)

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Halfords can make up plates, to UK spec (Think they come under warranty too), if you want specific spacing just say they're 'Show plates' for 'Vehicle meets, events, shows and pictures' ;)

NornIron91

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Any way I don't want to screw through the letters obviously so was wondering if anyone out there knew how far apart the holes are? Assuming it's the same front & back but don't know.
When i got new plates for my car, I set the old plates on top of the new and used a marker to mark the holes, so I knew where to drill.

Lone Survivor

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Priscilla McMustang GT Ruby Team DS

Sponsored

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Try the aluminum plates, should bend nicely to fit before screwing on

http://www.number1plates.com/aluminium-car-number-plates/
I got mine from here....bit of a hassle having to prove ID etc but al least they're legal.....
I have a 5 digit plate and asked if they could make a short one for the front....the answer was no:( so I had to cut it down myself....:headbang:
As long as you have an 11mm border it's within the regs.....

You can see I've also bent the front one to match the shape of the bumber...just a guess but I can always bend it a bit more or straighten it to suit when I fit it:cheers:

You can also see how thin they are in this pic...:)

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Got my ALUM plate from Numberoneplates also, seem to be rather popular, I even got the black line round the edge with Mustang printed at the bottom, think someone else did the same on here and has a pic of it on their car....looks fab!!

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
http://www.demonplates.com/. Had all my plates made here, they've got quite a good plate builder ;)
Ah ha! I remember the plate builder on that site - just had a look at it, pretty sure that's where I got them from. I will try to dig them out & take a photo, because they did go funny - had them on the car for a good 5 years or so, car kept outside, maybe that's why?

Think I will try one of the other places!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Ah ha! I remember the plate builder on that site - just had a look at it, pretty sure that's where I got them from. I will try to dig them out & take a photo, because they did go funny - had them on the car for a good 5 years or so, car kept outside, maybe that's why?

Think I will try one of the other places!
5 years before replacing the plate, not too shabby, all things will eventually break/die works out at such a small investment over 5 years too :headbonk:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
5 years before replacing the plate, not too shabby, all things will eventually break/die works out at such a small investment over 5 years too :headbonk:
:lol: when you put it like that it sounds dilly to moan that they didn't last! BUT surely plastic plates should last forever? Unless of course you manage to break them!

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
:lol: when you put it like that it sounds dilly to moan that they didn't last! BUT surely plastic plates should last forever? Unless of course you manage to break them!
:shrug: Don't think anythings made to last in this day and age Kristian, long gone are the days where something would last a lifetime, now things seem like they're made to break or have a certain longevity/life-span so people end up buying again once it breaks.

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
As you say dealer plates seem to last forever

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
As you say dealer plates seem to last forever
True, noticed that the ones I have on at the moment are metal actually. Can't see why they would be better over plastic though?

SSC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hi folks,

I have the plastic number plate surrounds fitted to my Stang along with lovely dealer branded, red bordered plates...

As much as I love them, I have decided to replace. My first question is, where is a decent place to get plates made up online? I brought a pair a few years back & they were sh1t - water got between the clear plastic & the plate, don't ask me how! Anyway they looked a mess, they were black at the back rather than what I would have imagined - just a single piece of clear acrylic with the white/yellow backing.

Secondly, I am leaning towards screwing mine on, as I already have holes in the bumper. Means I can be confident they won't fall off & I don't have to worry about removing sticky pads a few years down the line. Easy to swap in a new pair as well. Any way I don't want to screw through the letters obviously so was wondering if anyone out there knew how far apart the holes are? Assuming it's the same front & back but don't know.
Original hole locations, but not sure if extra holes made when they fitted the brackets.
Front Close.jpg
Rear Close.jpg
Sponsored