Sponsored

SMALL FRONT NUMBER PLATES

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Hello All can someone help me please.

I have a private plate on my car which is 6 digits, I have a smaller number plate on the rear (Normal font size its just not got all the unused yellow either side) of the digits. The front one is the same however it had fallen off my car !! for about the last 9 months.

Now having had a stop from the boys in blue yesterday, I think the time is right to fix on the front. Firstly considering a sto n go but i have loads of speed bumps my way so it will probably get knocked off and so my real personal option is a number plate but one of the static sticky plates - firstly who has got one and where did you get it from.

my current plate size that I had on before is 13" by 4.5" and to be honest I think it looks butt ugly and have never liked how it sat on the car so now think the sticky type would be better, and a little smaller.

I do remember Mac's yellow S550 had a sticky front plate and that was the right size i think.

any suggestions please.

thanks
Sponsored

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
Mines a tad smaller than standard but not had any issues, even a police officer said it was fine as he could still read it! Got it off a generic eBay seller was about ÂŁ6.

B9BF75DD-B3EC-4B58-A79D-1F097E40C766.jpeg

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
There are very specific regulations regarding the font type and size plus the size of the plate.

I can't remember the actual size of the font but I do remember there has to be at least an 11mm border all the way around.

My rear plate is fully compliant (at least as far as sizing goes), the front....not so much. The front is actually non-existent at the moment as I'm waiting to get the PPF done again. :crackup:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Nobody ever bothered with mine its full size lettering but ever so slightly too small on the overall white area (done to fit the flat bit on the bumper without curling under) its clear readable in right font and right lettering size they don't seem to bother with it being 2cm on both axis too small.
IMG_20190504_110447.jpg

Phil_AVF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2198 Grabber Yellow
52344375_10155992798480233_5183340036606656512_o.jpg

Sponsored

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Nobody ever bothered with mine its full size lettering but ever so slightly too small on the overall white area (done to fit the flat bit on the bumper without curling under) its clear readable in right font and right lettering size they don't seem to bother with it being 2cm on both axis too small.
IMG_20190504_110447.jpg
Aside from the spacing your plate is perfectly legal.

As I said earlier, there is a font type and size specified and then the physical plate needs to be at least 11mm bigger than the digits all round.

OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Well, I have now ordered a stick on type from flea-bay so will see what that comes in like.

Had the car since March 2016 and in the 3 plus years of ownership the plate has been on the car for a max 9 months and only been stopped twice, so not bad going but I think now is the time to stop risking it.

Enoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
Guard 5.0 (Auto) Fastback, Saddle Leather
Had this on since new.... no problems.

B0379-CC6-75-E5-4-E58-94-F5-6-D46-DE05-AC9-D.jpg

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Just because people have had no problems doesn't mean it is legal. If it doesn't have BS AU154d on it, it is not compliant. It doesn't mean you will get stopped, but you may and if you do it is an offence. All of the plates on the pictures on this thread are not compliant. If you are looking for a reason to stop an unusual car, a non-compliant numberplate is a good starting point for a policeman !

https://www.regtransfers.co.uk/content/number-plates-rules/

SteveS

...Bon Scott Land...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Magnetic
I think mine breaks every regulation. Did intend the lettering to be the right size however they're marginally smaller. Had no problems in 3 years but i appreciate the risk.
Also, it's a sto n sho and car is lowered by an inch all round and the wheels/tyres drop it another few mil. Never had a problem with speed bumps.

20190622_171008.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Harebear72

Harebear72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V8 GT Fastback
Since I started the thread I have ordered a stick on type of plate from ebay - this has now come and is in the garage to stick on the car as its filthy and needs a good clean. Since I had the stop 2 weeks ago the car still remains plateless and i have driven past several of the boys in blue without any issue. will be looking to clean and stick on the weekend just so its done

pdavison

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible 5.0 V8
Just got my Mustang and couldn’t resist a getting a slightly cheeky plate for it ... I don’t usually like plates that require messing about with spacing but thought this was quite apt so now need to order the physical plates to make the most of it:

GU12ZLE

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
...........................….If you are looking for a reason to stop an unusual car, a non-compliant numberplate is a good starting point for a policeman !
Or a VOSA patrol which are now seen regularly around the M25. If you've messed with your CATs or have other non MoT compliant mods it could be a bad day.

Centurion07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Or a VOSA patrol which are now seen regularly around the M25. If you've messed with your CATs or have other non MoT compliant mods it could be a bad day.
Do they stop civilian cars then? I always thought they only stop goods vehicles.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16
They can stop anybody. VOSA was actually merged with the Driving Standards Agency and became the DVSA in 2014. They have patrols manned by 'stopping officers' who can do you for tax ("tax it or lose it"), MoT stuff, driving like a knob etc and will go to town on the stuff the coppers don't have time for. A CAT is not just for Christmas. Obviously their focus should be on the high risk stuff e.g. trucks and coaches especially from the continent but they also drive around residential areas clamping untaxed, uninsured or un-MoT'd vehicles.
Sponsored