Sponsored

Should I trust the dealership?

Act1349

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A
Took my 2019GT in today for first oil change at the dealership (yeah, yeah). Anyway, I got talking to the service rep and she claims that I won't have any issues with engine/powertrain warranty work at the dealership with tune/mods/supercharger.

It's a Roush dealership if that makes a difference.

She said they frequently tune cars at the dealership with PBD, VMP and other tunes. Will install whatever tune and supercharger you want, whipple, VMP, etc.

Does this sound right? Or is this a situation where even if the dealership is cool Ford may decline the warranty work?

She told me she drove a 2018 supercherged GT before she sold it and seemed to know her stuff.
Sponsored

13razorbackfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If you get the Roush SC, and stick to the Roush tune, then yes. But, monkey around with more aggressive (less safe, more fun!) tunes and pulleys, and they might deny warranty claims on engine/drivetrain failures. That's the word from Ford itself. I'd get it in writing before doing anything other than the officially supported mods.
I agree and sometimes depending on the repair or maybe just random, from what my dealer told me, Ford will actually send out their own rep to go over warranty issues kind of like an adjuster.

Definitely get it in writing.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
They’re are a few dealers who do this. For example, recently Lebanon Ford released a video promising to deal with the warranty issues on all their new cars equipped with whipples and tuned with their Lebanon supplied PBD tune. Of course it would be at a minimum all have to be arranged by the dealer. None of this works if you aren’t close enough to the dealer who offers this. There are also Roush dealers who offer an under the table stage 2 kit thru Roush for 18+’s that dyno at 700rwhp. There one in Canada and we have a member on here that has it. So special deals and packages by a few select dealers are not unheard of. Get everything In writing though.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Just reading the title, I can confidently reply NO.

Even if the dealer wants to warranty something, Ford will overrule it if they feel aftermarket parts caused a failure.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just reading the title, I can confidently reply NO.

Even if the dealer wants to warranty something, Ford will overrule it if they feel aftermarket parts caused a failure.
So the question is maybe. Is the dealer saying "they" will pick up any costs not approved by Ford? If the answer is yes than that may be the answer to your question. BUT, you have to get it in writing.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I was given info that if a Ford Racing tune was applied to the car, the warranty concerning that then falls to Ford Racing. the other parts of the car still are covered under the normal Ford warranty.

TC

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Took my 2019GT in today for first oil change at the dealership (yeah, yeah). Anyway, I got talking to the service rep and she claims that I won't have any issues with engine/powertrain warranty work at the dealership with tune/mods/supercharger.

It's a Roush dealership if that makes a difference.

She said they frequently tune cars at the dealership with PBD, VMP and other tunes. Will install whatever tune and supercharger you want, whipple, VMP, etc.

Does this sound right? Or is this a situation where even if the dealership is cool Ford may decline the warranty work?

She told me she drove a 2018 supercherged GT before she sold it and seemed to know her stuff.
Just go to her dealership for all your work.

Warranty denials from my understanding comes mainly from,dealerships not from ford themselves...

The reason they do it is because ford under bids the hours on the job, so the service techs dont like doing warranty work.

For example you car needs a transmission ford will say 8 hrs should cover it. But in reality it takes the guys 12. They just worked 4 hrs for free...

So they prefer to change fluids 2hrs and send you on your way hoping that will get rid of you.

It sounds like this specific dealer is ran by enthusiasts, so they are more sympathetic to mod work. Just dont do something dumb like buy a blower run 15 psi melt a piston then bring it in for a new engine. That's just being a dickhead...

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Also once you install a supercharger you shouldn't expect to keep a warranty... That's part of mod life. You sacrifice reliability for speed. If you arent built for that life stay stock or buy a gt500...

Warranties are there so the manufacturer stands by their product. If you decide to mod the car outside of what the engineers designed your car for that's on you.

Warranties arent there to bail you out because you did something stupid and blew up.

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible
DO NOT TRUST THE DEALERSHIP. Let me say that again DO NOT TRUST THE DEALERSHIP. Here is why, now this was stupidity at the finest and it paid off in the dealers favor. I had a friend who bought a little economy car because he needed a vehicle and wanted a newer truck. His credit was in the crapper and he got a high interest rate on a small economy car with astronomically high payments. He did talk to the sales man being the trusting guy he is and said he really wanted a truck but couldn't afford the payment. The words out of the sales mans mouth at the dealership. Well, after you make some payments and get your credit up, bring it back here and we will get you into the new truck you want. Well, fast forward about 2 years. Car is worthless has about 30 thousand miles, he is upside down on his loan because of the high interest rate. Goes back to the dealership. Nope, not gonna help you. We could take your trade in but your going to be upside down 12,000 some odd dollars. So he waits. Another dealership trying to sell off their inventory, one of those big tax time deals. Told him to let the car go back when they get him into this new truck. He asked about the banks coming after him. The dealer told him oh no, they just come get it and sell it at auction. Yea, okay. DO NOT TRUST DEALERSHIPS.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
So the question is maybe. Is the dealer saying "they" will pick up any costs not approved by Ford? If the answer is yes than that may be the answer to your question. BUT, you have to get it in writing.
You are correct.

I'm yet to see a dealer make that commitment, BUT if they theoretically did then I would most definitely get it in writing and have it signed off by the GM, GSM, and any other management I could.

Sponsored

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
You are correct.

I'm yet to see a dealer make that commitment, BUT if they theoretically did then I would most definitely get it in writing and have it signed off by the GM, GSM, and any other management I could.
Agree with Blue Thunder. If they refuse to put the agreement in writing and be SPECIFIC don't believe them. Words and Phrases like "abuse" and terms like "improper use" that is not specifically stated are subjective.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
DO NOT TRUST THE DEALERSHIP. Let me say that again DO NOT TRUST THE DEALERSHIP. Here is why, now this was stupidity at the finest and it paid off in the dealers favor. I had a friend who bought a little economy car because he needed a vehicle and wanted a newer truck. His credit was in the crapper and he got a high interest rate on a small economy car with astronomically high payments. He did talk to the sales man being the trusting guy he is and said he really wanted a truck but couldn't afford the payment. The words out of the sales mans mouth at the dealership. Well, after you make some payments and get your credit up, bring it back here and we will get you into the new truck you want. Well, fast forward about 2 years. Car is worthless has about 30 thousand miles, he is upside down on his loan because of the high interest rate. Goes back to the dealership. Nope, not gonna help you. We could take your trade in but your going to be upside down 12,000 some odd dollars. So he waits. Another dealership trying to sell off their inventory, one of those big tax time deals. Told him to let the car go back when they get him into this new truck. He asked about the banks coming after him. The dealer told him oh no, they just come get it and sell it at auction. Yea, okay. DO NOT TRUST DEALERSHIPS.
To be fair that's on your friend... Dealers are trying to sell cars. Sales guys need commissions to buy food and pay rent. The dealership needs to move inventory to get better rebates and better optioned products. So yes they will say anything to get you in the car. They arent your financial advisors... Hell u cant trust a financial advisor all that much now...

If your friend wanted that deal he should have asked them for a contract. Which they would promptly refuse to give him.

If you have bad credit your best bet is to buy used and in cash, then work with a credit repair company to get better, then buy whatever you want.

Or go to a large dealership some are big enough that they have more sway with the finance companies and can get you a better rate. You never want to finance for more than 3% and you really shouldnt finance longer than 6 years max. 4 years ideally.

At around year 4 most cars will start needing around 1500.00 or so in maintenance work.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
To be fair that's on your friend... Dealers are trying to sell cars. Sales guys need commissions to buy food and pay rent. The dealership needs to move inventory to get better rebates and better optioned products. So yes they will say anything to get you in the car. They arent your financial advisors... Hell u cant trust a financial advisor all that much now...

If your friend wanted that deal he should have asked them for a contract. Which they would promptly refuse to give him.

If you have bad credit your best bet is to buy used and in cash, then work with a credit repair company to get better, then buy whatever you want.

Or go to a large dealership some are big enough that they have more sway with the finance companies and can get you a better rate. You never want to finance for more than 3% and you really shouldnt finance longer than 6 years max. 4 years ideally.

At around year 4 most cars will start needing around 1500.00 or so in maintenance work.
Everyone's situation is different. Financial advice should only be given by someone who knows the individual asking about it and their full financial picture.

Some people don't need 3% or less, and some go further for 4 years just fine. What works for you doesn't work for everyone.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Id advise your friend as i see it has a few options.

1. Since the car is only 2 years old and probably running fine. Double up on payments pay it off as fast as possible, then sell it private party, buy what he wants...

2. Keep the car, refinance the loan and cut his payments in half. The catch is you pay more in the long run in interests but 200.00 is easier to find than 3 or 400. And with a lower rate depending on how its calculated you can do things like make a lump payment every quarter or charge up a credit card, to knock it down faster. Bad loans like that are designed for people like your friend to default on.

4. Trade it in for the truck he wants roll the negative equity into the loan and then refinance after 3 months. Not the best option but at least he'll have the car he wants. And a lesson learned for next time... Refi sucks but it will help To get the loan amount down to something manageable.

5. Sell the car out right to a private party. Pay off what he can, buy something cash and pay off the balance of the loan.

6. Take the default wait 12 years for it to fall off his record...

BrianGT2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)

Well, I completely understand that. My credits great but he was gripping about it and I got him to spill the beans. I told him you got ripped off. Don't trust anyone when it comes to money. I don't trust banks, creditors, anyone who has something to gain from me I don't trust. That's how I was brought up and most of the time is has proved true. However, dude was a first time car buyer. I bought and financed my first car at 18 and came out pretty good. Some people are not as fortunate. While I understand the whole need to make money and make sales DON'T FLAT OUT LIE to folks. I never agreed with dishonest business practices like that. I record all business phone calls I make. When you start paying attention to how many companies LIE to get you to sign up or buy something its actually really depressing. I can name a few off the top of my head who pretty much admitted their sales person lied to me after sending the recordings to their higher ups. I have been let out of contracts numerous times because of sales persons lying on the phones. I have also been in this persons on the post where when you actually read the contract and ask questions they don't like answering or they answer and you say you want it in writing they tell you we can't do that. I had one used car lot in el paso, texas. I bought a car from them it was gonna be my little cheap toy. The vehicle was used had a few issues. The dealer stated the issues, I said well, Ill buy it with those issues. If there are more though I don't want it. In the contract they stated. That the driver side wheel bearings needed to be replaced, abs module needed to be replaced, and there was something else. I said if that doesn't fix the issue can you going to take the car back. They withdrew.
Sponsored