Shopping for cold air intake

LkySpade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
So I saw a Ford performance cold air intake on Craigslist but the sell advised that there was no tune included and I went to Ford performance and read that you can’t get a tune without purchasing whole kit.So what do you recommend? What’s everyone else using? Thanks
Sponsored

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Maybe I'm uninformed, or simply being ignorant, but I didn't think a tune was necessary for just a CAI. I have always been under the impression that the engine management computers were capable of compensating for a CAI by itself. I also thought that the factory air box flowed plenty of air unless other components were changed that required a significant amount more air.
Yes? No?

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I went with the Roush, not expecting gains, more looks. Plus one criteria was no oiled filters. I'm happy with it and it looks cool.
422086-5-555x389.jpg

A lot of people here and other car sites will say " dont buy that, it is a waste of money and doesn't add power", then they spend $50 on a shifter knob. Understand the part, what it brings to the table, and then enjoy it. I basically do tune, CAI and exhaust on everything I buy.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
Basically, a tune will help refine everything with or without a CAI.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LkySpade

LkySpade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Maybe I'm uninformed, or simply being ignorant, but I didn't think a tune was necessary for just a CAI. I have always been under the impression that the engine management computers were capable of compensating for a CAI by itself. I also thought that the factory air box flowed plenty of air unless other components were changed that required a significant amount more air.
Yes? No?
I was under the same impression.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Not using Craig's list for performance parts ?

Yes? No?
You're not, some of the CIAs, offer 2 sizes of intake ram air tubes. That is accomplished using an insert.

Large without insert requirs a tune, with insert installed no tune.

To be clear I am writing about the Roush L1 CAI ..

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
If the intake changes the diameter of the maf pipe a tune is required. I agree with gadgt, you won't get a noticeable power increase from the intake. It will dress up the engine bay and if you opt for an open air box gives the engine a little extra volume but you'll also have to think about iat's with an open unit. Do you research. If your trying to spend $300+ for a power bump, your wasting money.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If the intake changes the diameter of the maf pipe a tune is required. I agree with gadgt, you won't get a noticeable power increase from the intake. It will dress up the engine bay and if you opt for an open air box gives the engine a little extra volume but you'll also have to think about iat's with an open unit. Do you research. If your trying to spend $300+ for a power bump, your wasting money.

That depends on what you're calling a noticeable power increase. There is throttle response and HP curve changes with after market CAIs.

More going on there than poser car show eye candy. Are there eye candy CAIs yes, but few.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
That depends on what you're calling a noticeable power increase. There is throttle response and HP curve changes with after market CAIs.

More going on there than poser car show eye candy. Are there eye candy CAIs yes, but few.
Ok. What ever you need to tell yourself to justify your purchase. :like:

Sponsored
OP
OP
LkySpade

LkySpade

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
So this kit does come with a larger 87mm throttle body. So I guess that’s the need for a tune. Guy is asking 360. I’m not expecting major horse power gains. Maybe a little throttle response. Car was already setup with a Borla system so figured a CAI and a tune were going to be on my list.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
I've noticed the Roush will rise a little at stop, watching IAT, never logged the stock one because it wasn't on here when I bought the car. Once moving, the Roush is generally only a few degrees above outside air temp. So that part is working as it should. Part 2, eye candy for sure. I even added the Roush sticker to the lid, so when I pop the hood people just see Roush. One again, eye candy. I've seen anywhere from 2 hp to 25 hp lol on claims for certain makes of vehicle lol. If it's 2, fine, if it's 5, fine, if it's 0, fine. It is not a dispute saying a vehicle's intake is much more efficient than they used to be.

Enjoy your toy and customize it how you like. My first investment at that price, if not worried about warranty, would be Lund or PBD tune. Exhausts are expensive, and the CAI is basically tuning cost.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Car was already setup with a Borla system so figured a CAI and a tune were going to be on my list.
You are on the right track then.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What would actually be a benefit, would be a "cold" air intake, that actually decreased the intake air temps.

The factory CAI is the best on that front right now.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok. What ever you need to tell yourself to justify your purchase. :like:
Nice try, but not true and you know what you can do with the thumb.

Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 9.36.17 AM.png
Sponsored

Last edited: