Sponsored

Shaker Pro: inexpensive options for mild upgrade? (or: another speaker thread)

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the "premium/shaker" 9 speaker system and while I mostly prefer listening to my Corsa Sport Catback, the factory speakers seem worse than the ones in my 2011 Mustang with the shaker system. Would any of you recommend these? http://www.stage3motorsports.com/15...ker-Complete-KS-Series-9-Speaker-Package.html
I just want a decent plug & play solution. Thank you!
I had not seen this type of setup was available I am quite interested in this also, as I wanted something with a bit more bass but didn't want to hurt the OEM look/feel. Also didn't want it to be a multi day project
In a word "NO"
Sure those speakers will fit in the factory locations, but you will have tweeters in the lower doors, tweeters in the upper doors and tweeters in the A-pillars... all that adds up to a completely unfocused sound.
Sponsored

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
In a word "NO"
Sure those speakers will fit in the factory locations, but you will have tweeters in the lower doors, tweeters in the upper doors and tweeters in the A-pillars... all that adds up to a completely unfocused sound.

Does the stock speaker system have dedicated bass, mids and tweeters?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
In the 9 and 12 speaker systems, yes.

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the "premium/shaker" 9 speaker system and while I mostly prefer listening to my Corsa Sport Catback, the factory speakers seem worse than the ones in my 2011 Mustang with the shaker system. Would any of you recommend these? http://www.stage3motorsports.com/15...ker-Complete-KS-Series-9-Speaker-Package.html
I just want a decent plug & play solution. Thank you!
Seems like a few too many tweeters. I count seven in the 12 speaker setup and its almost too much. If you do go that route, I wouldn't pay that price. Those 6.5" are 49.00 a pair and the 3.5s are 39.00 a pair on Amazon.

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Problem the factory head unit has been EQ'd for your speaker setup. So 9 speaker system has the rear deck eq for bass, so putting coaxials won't make them full range. Same with door bass. Putting in tweeter in 3.5 screws up the pillar.

Until somebody like oemradio [disappeared] reprograms the eq your stuck putting in speakers with same Ohm reading and design. Hopefully just better quality.

Supposedly over on forscan F150 section somebody figured out the eq stuff but is the same for us ?

I'm on hold until more knowledge is gained

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Actually someone has listed what is what for the 9 speaker system. Its in ne of the threads, I forget which one. But in that thread it says:

3.5 is tied to the tweaters = mid/high's
6.5 Door = low range only base
6.5 Rear Deck = Full range
3.5 center is voice

I basically had a sub box built and went with a 10. I will look to upgrade speakers later if so desired. But for now I am happy with more bass.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually someone has listed what is what for the 9 speaker system. Its in ne of the threads, I forget which one. But in that thread it says:

3.5 is tied to the tweaters = mid/high's
6.5 Door = low range only base
6.5 Rear Deck = Full range
3.5 center is voice

I basically had a sub box built and went with a 10. I will look to upgrade speakers later if so desired. But for now I am happy with more bass.
9 speaker system rear deck bass only
12 rear deck coaxial full range

So putting coaxial in rear deck does no good because the head end is eq for bass. the forscan page for f150 shows 9 different eqs a separate one for each speaker setup and cab size.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
9 speaker system rear deck bass only
12 rear deck coaxial full range

So putting coaxial in rear deck does no good because the head end is eq for bass. the forscan page for f150 shows 9 different eqs a separate one for each speaker setup and cab size.
And to compound things, Ford apparently put in speakers with different impedance values even in the same MY.

In my opinion, the only way to safely upgrade is to determine what you actually have in your car (as opposed to relying on values posted in forums), and build a game plan from there...

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
The rear speakers are single driver in a 9 speaker system. Same wiring, same input as the 12 speaker, the only difference is the 12 speaker uses Coaxial speakers.
Same frequency range as the other, but the 12 speaker is better at reproducing highs in the back due to the added tweeters.
The rear is a "sub-sonic filtered" full range input.

Sponsored

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rear speakers are single driver in a 9 speaker system. Same wiring, same input as the 12 speaker, the only difference is the 12 speaker uses Coaxial speakers.
Same frequency range as the other, but the 12 speaker is better at reproducing highs in the back due to the added tweeters.
That is what I thought as well. As a matter of fact, looking at the kicker replacement speakers for the 9 speaker setup, they are using coax for the rear deck and a bass/tweater setup for the doors. Also this is some of the issues when people replace the door speakers they get less bass, because they are using a coax style 6.5 instead of a bass one.

Also the 9 speaker system is 2ohm. You can see the tag on the rear easily. Also its been discussed a few times in other threads where people have actually pulled the speakers and show the tag. I think the base model speakers are a different ohm, I think those are at 4.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
The "Speaker Ohm" issue has yet to be solved - I have seen 2, 4 and 8 Ohms being cited, but Ford has released 3 part numbers for each speaker since 2015.
Coincidence?

Center Speaker:
FR3Z-18808-B Inst Panel Speaker
SPEAKERS-COUPE, W/ BRANDED AUDIO

FR3Z-18808-X Inst Panel Speaker
Speakers-coupe, without branded audio, from 02/13/2015
Speakers-convertible, without branded audio, from 02/13/2015

Mine were: FR3T-18808-BA 2 OHM/25 WATT

Tweeter:
FR3Z-18808-P Windshield Pillar Speaker
Windshield Pillar Speaker, RIGHT/LEFT
Speakers-coupe, with branded audio
Speakers-convertible, with branded audio

DS7Z-18808-E Windshield Pillar Speaker
Windshield Pillar Speaker, RIGHT/LEFT
Speakers-coupe, without branded audio

Mine were: FR3T-18808-AA (No markings, needs testing)
On Interwebs found DS7T-18808-CA marked as 8 Ohms, 12.5 Watts

3.5" Door Speaker (top) - Ford calls it a "Tweeter" - :doh:
FR3Z-18808-CE Tweeter (Mid)
Tweeter, RIGHT
Speakers-coupe, with branded audio, from 03/16/2015.

FR3Z-18808-J Tweeter (Mid)
Tweeter, LEFT
Speakers-coupe, with branded audio, to 03/15/2015

FR3Z-18808-Y Tweeter (Mid)
Tweeter, RIGHT
Speakers-coupe, without branded audio, from 02/02/2015

FR3Z-18808-Z Tweeter (Mid)
Tweeter, LEFT
Speakers-coupe, without branded audio, from 02/02/2015

6.5" Midbass:
FR3Z-18808-C Door Speaker
Door Speaker, LEFT

GR3Z-18808-K Speaker Assembly
Door Speaker, RIGHT
Speakers-coupe, W/O branded audio

6.5" Rear Tray:
FR3Z-18808-D Pkg Tray Speaker
Pkg Tray Speaker, RIGHT/LEFT
Speakers-convertible, with branded audio.
[Coaxial]

DS7Z-18808-G Rear Dr Speaker
Pkg Tray Speaker, RIGHT
SPEAKERS-COUPE, W/ O BRANDED AUDIO

Mine were: C300AV1 (No other markings, needs testing)

Subwoofer:
FR3Z-18808-A Woofer - Ford
Speakers-coupe, with branded audio (12 Speaker Only)

Mine: tested at 2 Ohms on each voice coil (DVC)

Subwoofer Amp:

Mine was: YanFeng Visteon S69GA P/N: BA1T-18C808-AA

Last edited:

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The "Speaker Ohm" issue has yet to be solved - I have seen 2, 4 and 8 Ohms being cited, but Ford has released 3 part numbers for each speaker since 2015.
Coincidence?
Good point. I would say for the 17 models, the 9 speaker system is 2ohms. Looking at my speakers they are at 2.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got Part Numbers? I can update the list I posted...

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you saying 9 and 12 speaker systems are using the same EQ ? Or just same physical wiring?

Same EQ doesn't make sense, once you put kicker you would roll your bass to kicker not the rear deck. 9 speaker uses the rear deck for bass.

The rear is a "sub-sonic filtered" full range input, so do you mean rear deck are on a high pass filter in 12 speaker system? That makes sense. But 9 speaker rear deck are on low pass filter?
Sponsored