Sponsored

Shaker Pro: inexpensive options for mild upgrade? (or: another speaker thread)

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
I've been reading the various speaker threads and am still at a loss at the easiest way to build some mild upgrades for my 16GT with 12 speaker/sub to accomplish these goals:

1) improve clarity, particularly in vocal range and highs (the current sound profile is very lifeless if that's a way to describe it)

2) improve bass to allow the subwoofer to take on more of the duty there and less of the rattletrap prone doors.

3) allow factory wiring/systems to remain in place

4) affordable

My last Ford before this was a 13FoST that I put a Jbl ms-8 and full speaker sets in, along with a sub upgrade (better driver in stock location with poly fill and a spacer ring) and amplifier upgrades. I liked it a lot, but took lots of troubleshooting and tuning work to really work well, and I spent many hours crafting the harnesses and mounts for a truly OEM look (so much so, that when I sold the car, I left the audio system intact). Before that was a 2011GT 401A that I just upgraded the door/tray speakers and was very happy with.

Ideally, I'd like to do something along that line where its a simple upgrade that might not be the most effective, but offers a cost effective and simple approach.

From what I'm reading it sounds like the bulk of work is handled by 3 3.5" speakers which may or may not be 2 ohm. Also have read replacing the factory tweeters is effective, however having lots of drivers with built-in tweeters can upset the overall balance of the sound (I hadn't seen anything concise on best way to deal with that).

Finally I've seen a few things on the subwoofer, and I wouldn't mind trying upgrades there that involve adding a separate amplifier as that wouldn't be too difficult in the trunk for just that one application.

Has anyone gone down a similar path with success? Can I get details on exactly what was used, what shortcomings or advice on how to approach this?

Thanks!
Sponsored

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, despite the best attempts, we can't get people to stay on topic or get admins to whack repeat/off-topic postings.

That being said, the confusion comes about because the 6, 9 and 12 speaker systems are lumped as one. What works for one, doesn't work for the other. To compound the problem, Ford has changed speakers 3 times and 2016 was a "re-do" for amplifiers and head units (not to mention the Sync3 thing).

The Factory tweeters fall flat on their face at 12,000Hz - verify your factory tweeter Ohms (12 speaker is usually 8 Ohm) or you could make them too loud.

I had great results with a 2-way 3.5" speaker for the center channel - MUCH better highs and the voices were much more clear.

I'm working on passive crossovers, tweeters and 3.5" upgrades next...

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
so at this point would it be in my best interest to pull the door panels, center and tweeters and manually verify what rating/versions they are?

What did you use for your center? (I know I'll have to make sure whatever I use matches my spec). Thanks! (I agree on the mess of threads, hopefully this isn't contributing to that mess. I wish the main info thread had its top posts edited with known info). Maybe at some point make a compilation post, lock it to the top and have it feature links for the wayward like myself looking for info.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That would be my recommendation - The good news is the rear speakers are visible (Coupe) and you only have to pull one door panel and the center to verify...

Center channel I used an Infinity Reference 3022cfx
But a Polk db351 would probably work just as well (mounted BELOW the dash plate since it is taller).

Last edited:

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Hmm if you find any concise information let me know. I've been considering upgrading my speakers too. I have the 9 speaker system and want a bit more bass. I wish ford would have made it easier and I am not sure why they didn't. I can't see it hurting the shaker pro option sales thatttt much by making it easier to do an aftermarket speaker upgrade.

I think there should be a sticky thread somewhere that has all the known differences between each year/model/trim etc broken down by various system ie: electronics, drive-train, appearance, etc. It would be a beast of a task but an infinitely useful resource. Maybe a google sheet would be useful to gather the hive mind knowledge.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
9 speaker system is a 12 speaker with no tweeters in the rear seat and no subwoofer.
I'd start with a quality Subwoofer...

Boggus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP
I have added a single JL 10” / amp in the spare tire area and have replaced the A-pillar tweeters, sounds much better. Stock 8” is still working as normal.

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Link

This is what I'm playing with. If you are looking for best bang-for-the-buck slap in some quality 3.5", snip the capacitor on their tweeter and call it a day.

Tweeter testing continues, but just the improvement I saw in the center channel makes me think the 3.5" are the smart money.

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
So far, I've yet to take apart my car, but what I've been able to gather is this:

for the 12 speaker upgrade, from order of most return to least (for a reasonable budget):

1) upgrade the 3.5 center speaker
2) upgrade the 3.5 door speakers - (attenuate the frequencies less one wants tweeter overload)
3) upgrade the pillar tweeters
4) upgrade the subwoofer (add drop in spacer ring, probably small amplifier as well, polyfill).

Once I have the parts selected and spec'ed, I'll edit the first post and continue with a how to and subjective analysis.

If anyone has recommendations on the parts for those 4 above items, I'm all ears (and wallet)

Sponsored

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here you go, how's this?

1. Upgrade the 3.5 center speaker
2. Upgrade the 3.5 door speakers - (attenuate the frequencies less one wants tweeter overload)
a. Sound deaden the doors
b. Block the unused holes in the inner door skin (creating a "box" for the 6.5")
3. Upgrade the pillar tweeters
4. Upgrade the subwoofer (add drop in spacer ring, probably small amplifier as well, polyfill).

or maybe a thriftier "Plan B":

1. Upgrade the pillar tweeters - (add a capacitor and inductor to create a Linkwitz-Riley -12db Second Order high-pass filter at 4K)
2. Poly-Fill the factory SW box
3. Upgrade the 3.5 center speaker
4. Upgrade the 3.5 door speakers - (add a capacitor and inductor to create a Linkwitz-Riley -12db Second Order low-pass filter at 4K)
a. Sound deaden the doors
b. Block the unused holes in the inner door skin (creating a "box" for the 6.5")
5. Upgrade the subwoofer
a. Add drop in spacer ring
b. A small SW amplifier

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
This will solve all of your low frequency issues on a <$400 budget.
RF 300w 2 channel amp
RF punch 8" dvc shallow mount sub in stock housing with polyfill.
High level rca's from the rear speakers.
Direct battery power wire

https://flic.kr/p/VUqVKS

Last edited:

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
This will solve all of your low frequency issues on a <$400 budget.
RF 300w 2 channel amp
RF punch 8" dvc shallow mount sub in stock housing with polyfill.
High level rca's from the rear speakers.
Direct battery power wire

https://flic.kr/p/VUqVKS
As you know from one of the other threads, I bought the same subwoofer. I don't have much experience with DVC speakers. From you pic it looks like you used all four speaker wires from the amp and kept the sub at 2ohms. That 300w2 can also be bridged. Is there any reason not to run it bridged? It would change the sub to 4 ohm since there needs to be a jumper between one positive and on negative terminal.

I ask because I'm looking at a different amp that can also power my rear deck speakers. Thanks!

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the "premium/shaker" 9 speaker system and while I mostly prefer listening to my Corsa Sport Catback, the factory speakers seem worse than the ones in my 2011 Mustang with the shaker system. Would any of you recommend these? http://www.stage3motorsports.com/15...ker-Complete-KS-Series-9-Speaker-Package.html
I just want a decent plug & play solution. Thank you!

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Sorry, don't mean to hijack this thread but I have the "premium/shaker" 9 speaker system and while I mostly prefer listening to my Corsa Sport Catback, the factory speakers seem worse than the ones in my 2011 Mustang with the shaker system. Would any of you recommend these? http://www.stage3motorsports.com/15...ker-Complete-KS-Series-9-Speaker-Package.html
I just want a decent plug & play solution. Thank you!
I had not seen this type of setup was available I am quite interested in this also, as I wanted something with a bit more bass but didn't want to hurt the OEM look/feel. Also didn't want it to be a multi day project
Sponsored