Sponsored

Shady dealer?

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
You do not pay or sign papers until the car is delivered. You will most likely have to put down a deposit when you order though. Typically $500.
Ok, great. Thank you. Should I be upfront about using x-plan when I order? Not sure how much I need to negotiate when I put the order in.
Sponsored

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ok, great. Thank you. Should I be upfront about using x-plan when I order? Not sure how much I need to negotiate when I put the order in.
I would try to get a deal better than x-plan. Not sure how dealers are out there, but shoot for invoice first. Get quotes from multiple dealerships and have them beat each other to get a good deal.

OP
OP

gus6464

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Honda Accord 13' Prius
Well just got off the phone after a heated discussion with the sales manager. The guy was acting like he was doing me a favor last night with all this. Apparently 2015's are flying off the shelf so fast that they are going to sell all 50+ they have in their lot today. I truly hate dealers who act like they are doing you a favor by selling you a car.

OP
OP

gus6464

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ohh and apparently the dealer ran my credit last night "to protect my identity".

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Ohh and apparently the dealer ran my credit last night "to protect my identity".
I would go to another dealership. If you didn't sign any credit application, they shouldn't run your credit. I believe there is something that can run, but it isn't a full credit report (forgot the name of it).

After having a "heated" conversation and them pulling these moves. I would just move on.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gus6464

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would go to another dealership. If you didn't sign any credit application, they shouldn't run your credit. I believe there is something that can run, but it isn't a full credit report (forgot the name of it).

After having a "heated" conversation and them pulling these moves. I would just move on.
Yeah it just pisses me off that they get away with all this garbage.

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
This is definitely true in my experience. However, it may still be possible to get a lower rate than the one you walked in the door with. In my case, I came in with 3.49 from my credit union and left with 1.9 from Chase. The finance guy actually got a bidding war going between them.

The trick is to shop around and make it clear that you won't accept a worse deal than the one you already found.
Same thing happened to me.

I was approved through USAA at 2.89 I think, and the dealer offered me 2.6 through another local bank. Better deal is fine with me....

Long story short, most dealerships will do whatever they can to move the car immediately. Any that pulled that kind of thing on me, I would not go back to.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Yeah it just pisses me off that they get away with all this garbage.
wow now that youve updated with all this information i would file a complaint with ford, i mean im not sure how far it would go but still who knows they may send you $750 private cash, also if that is a dealer that participates in USAA's car buying service program i would explain you situation to USAA as well.

when looking for inventory are you calling each dealership and looking at their websites or are you using the ford inventory site? just thought id mention becaause not many people know you can search for inventory in your city as well as neighboring ones this way.

Must_have_stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
new mustang gt
I heard dealers can pull a rough credit score from your license. Not sure about the truth in that. However, stealers will do the dumbest thing to get you to buy their car. If you show an ounce of "in love" with the car. They will try their best to hook up by taking it home for the night or someone is here to buy it now if you don't act. Things likes this has happen to me in the past and I had heated exchanges with them. At the end of the day, it is $$$ and cents to them. You can argued with them and the next day they will be your best friend.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
I had two dealerships try similar shenanigans on me here on Oahu being pre-approved financed through USAA. I bought a car in Oregon and had it shipped. Saved $11,000 and got a car with more options on it.

Sponsored

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
1. I work for a new car dealer.....20 years now at same place. It is NOT a Ford dealership.

2. EVERY new car dealership is a franchised business. It's just like McDonalds, Nationwide, Jiffy Lube, etc. All are independently owned businesses that are required to operate within a framework outlined by the franchisor.

3. Every new car dealer wants to arrange your financing either through the manufacturer's financing arm or through many other lenders. This is because, after a period of time of regularly made payments, the dealer gets a small "kickback" based on a points system toward the financed amount. It's very similar to the way the person who arranges your home mortgage gets paid points of the loan by the lender.

4. Dealer can NOT "jack up the rate". The rate is set by the lender. The dealer CAN buy down the rate to get it a little lower for you - IF they want to do so. This happens a lot for good regular customers. In fact, the Ford dealer I bought from last month bought my rate down by 0.9% due to number of cars and amount of service business I do there.

5. You should not allow a credit check until you are ready to buy and ONLY if you allow them to do the financing. There is no reason for it regardless of what they say. If they will not move past this, move out the door.

6. NEVER, EVER, EVER mention that you will arrange your own financing OR pay in cash until you've reached the very final out-the-door price. In fact, you should allow them to THINK you will finance with them. You will get a better final figure that way. Then sign the Buyer's Order, have them sign it, then tell them how you will pay. This will save you a lot of money.

7. Sometimes, manufacturer's incentives (discounts, rebates, etc.) require that you finance with the manufacturer. In these cases, if the deal or rate is better, then go with it - you win. If it is higher, and if you can pay cash, allow them to do this financing, wait a week until you get an account number and wire the payoff. You got the incentives and paid no interest.

The point is: Dealers are allowed a lot of flexibility in how they do business. As long as it is not illegal or misrepresenting the product or sale in some way, neither Ford nor any other manufacturer will not get involved.

Most dealers are very honest in their dealings with buyers. There is way too much competition for your dollar to do conduct business badly.

I still shake my head when some poor soul, one of the type that likes to talk "big", comes in and one of the first things they say is: "Now, give me a your best price. You don't have to worry about the money. I'm paying cash." He just notified the dealer that they won't make any money of financing and, therefore will NOT get the best price.

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
1. I work for a new car dealer.....20 years now at same place. It is NOT a Ford dealership.

2. EVERY new car dealership is a franchised business. It's just like McDonalds, Nationwide, Jiffy Lube, etc. All are independently owned businesses that are required to operate within a framework outlined by the franchisor.

3. Every new car dealer wants to arrange your financing either through the manufacturer's financing arm or through many other lenders. This is because, after a period of time of regularly made payments, the dealer gets a small "kickback" based on a points system toward the financed amount. It's very similar to the way the person who arranges your home mortgage gets paid points of the loan by the lender.

4. Dealer can NOT "jack up the rate". The rate is set by the lender. The dealer CAN buy down the rate to get it a little lower for you - IF they want to do so. This happens a lot for good regular customers. In fact, the Ford dealer I bought from last month bought my rate down by 0.9% due to number of cars and amount of service business I do there.

5. You should not allow a credit check until you are ready to buy and ONLY if you allow them to do the financing. There is no reason for it regardless of what they say. If they will not move past this, move out the door.

6. NEVER, EVER, EVER mention that you will arrange your own financing OR pay in cash until you've reached the very final out-the-door price. In fact, you should allow them to THINK you will finance with them. You will get a better final figure that way. Then sign the Buyer's Order, have them sign it, then tell them how you will pay. This will save you a lot of money.

7. Sometimes, manufacturer's incentives (discounts, rebates, etc.) require that you finance with the manufacturer. In these cases, if the deal or rate is better, then go with it - you win. If it is higher, and if you can pay cash, allow them to do this financing, wait a week until you get an account number and wire the payoff. You got the incentives and paid no interest.

The point is: Dealers are allowed a lot of flexibility in how they do business. As long as it is not illegal or misrepresenting the product or sale in some way, neither Ford nor any other manufacturer will not get involved.

Most dealers are very honest in their dealings with buyers. There is way too much competition for your dollar to do conduct business badly.

I still shake my head when some poor soul, one of the type that likes to talk "big", comes in and one of the first things they say is: "Now, give me a your best price. You don't have to worry about the money. I'm paying cash." He just notified the dealer that they won't make any money of financing and, therefore will NOT get the best price.
Definitely makes sense. I tipped by hand on buying with cash, but still got a good price. I got my deal though from having dealerships bid for my business.

Last edited:
OP
OP

gus6464

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the thing that baffled my mind was that they had a guaranteed sale last night and blew it. I went in at 8pm and they closed at 9. I would have been back today at noon with a check as there is a USAA bank 10 mins from my house.

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
Yeah the thing that baffled my mind was that they had a guaranteed sale last night and blew it. I went in at 8pm and they closed at 9. I would have been back today at noon with a check as there is a USAA bank 10 mins from my house.
He was pulling out all the stops trying to "seal the deal" that night. Because, as someone said, almost 100% that say they will be back will not return.

OP
OP

gus6464

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
He was pulling out all the stops trying to "seal the deal" that night. Because, as someone said, almost 100% that say they will be back will not return.
Yeah I get that but trying to seal the deal by flat out lying doesn't tend to go over well with most people.
Sponsored