Sponsored

Sequential pattern...for brake lights...why is it that some frown upon its use?

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Hopefully I'm posting this question in the correct subforum.

Curious if there is any actual facts as to why some folks on here don't agree with the brake light portion sequencing?

I've heard its a safety issue...sounds like hogwash IMHO...the sequencing pattern if anything will alert the person behind you to pay more attention. Similar to those blinking 3rd brake light that is common on other makes. At least that is what my brain tells me when I see them.

Thanks ya'll. :cheers:
Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I don't understand your question. Are you saying some people just don't like it, or they don't have it on their car?

I've personally never heard a complaint about this before.

Furious D

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/PP
Are you talking about the turn signals or the brake lights?

Brake lights aren't designed to be fancy, they are designed to be in your face instantly.

Having the brake lights engage in the sequence of the turn signals would result in tons of accidents

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Are you talking about the turn signals or the brake lights?

Brake lights aren't designed to be fancy, they are designed to be in your face instantly.

Having the brake lights engage in the sequence of the turn signals would result in tons of accidents

This. I consider it a silly thing to have BRAKE lights sequence out via the diode dynamics kit. Brake lights are supposed to be RIGHT NOW and not a light show.
Whatever flips your flopper, but I would think a really good lawyer could install some doubt it it were a part of a legal case.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to have the diode dynamic 4TH brake light flash like an F1 brake, but the sequential brakes not really.

Sponsored

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
This. :amen:
Although adding a bright 4th brake light helps offset the distraction a little.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Interesting positions. one side says sequenced brake lights get noticed better. The other side says sequenced brake light won't get noticed better.

Lets see, the side against sequenced says that brake lights should come on immediately to be effective.

In defense of the sequenced crowd, I'll put forth that LED taillights come on with greater speed(to full intensity) than incandescent bulbs. The first segment of sequenced taillights therefore come on just as fast as non sequenced LED taillights. To my mind that defeats the argument of immediacy being different.

But the sequenced taillight then illuminate a second (pair of)segments, and finally a third pair. So the difference is not the speed of illumination but the sequenced taillights acting like three separate sets of brake lights coming on individually.

Studies have shown that flashing lights get noticed. That is why all emergency vehicles are equipped with them. Sequential taillights then resemble the flashing of emergency vehicles for the time it takes them to fully activate. That seems to be a plus if getting other drivers attention is the goal, which of course it is in the case of brake lights. Additionally each pair of LEDs in the sequence is just as bright as the single pairs on many cars and trucks. That reinforces the argument that sequenced taillights resemble the flashing of emergency vehicles. Finally every Mustang S550 also is equipped with a high mounted center brake LED that also immediately illuminates when the brakes are applied and it cannot be misinterpreted for anything but a brake light.

Any lawyer that bases a rear ender crash defense on the sequencing LEDs will have to defeat the argument that the center LED is also an effective brake indicator that illuminates soley (sp) upon brake application (as declared by Federal Law). (Which would mean his/her client saw so many red lights in front of them they thought it meant GO!)

To me then the arguments mounted against sequenced LED taillights are without merit. Sequence away guys. :headbang:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hopefully I'm posting this question in the correct subforum.

Curious if there is any actual facts as to why some folks on here don't agree with the brake light portion sequencing?
Actual facts? No, I don't need to pay for scientific tests to prove it's less safe; same for proof that if I drop something it will fall; luckily others have done the latter study so I don't have to wonder if I'm imagining things. ;)

You should be able to find scientific studies that show that when a person or animal has been conditioned to respond in a certain way to a stimulus that variations and distractions to the stimulus slow down the response.

With that in mind, the cars behind a car with sequencing brake lights might initially think a turn or lane change is being signaled. The chances are increased if just one side of the car can be seen. Even if you have magical powers and would never hesitate a quarter of a second, some others will. At freeway speeds that quarter second is between 20 and 30 feet. Have you ever seen anyone panic stop and end up less than 20 feet behind the car in front? If that driver delayed a quarter second, it would have been a collision.

Now to wait for the inevitable post saying: but I like them and I'll take the risk.

Its okay with me if you want to have sequential brake lights, or not use seat belts or not wear a helmet when motorcycling. Lots of people survive all those things. Just don't be confused by people who don't like sequential brakes enough to take even the slightest extra risk.

OP
OP
rvlyssup

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
Great discussion and different interesting takes...keep them coming. :cheers:

You should be able to find scientific studies that show that when a person or animal has been conditioned to respond in a certain way to a stimulus that variations and distractions to the stimulus slow down the response.
Echoing what Road Dog stated above, same goes for sequencing / flashing lights...we are conditioned to be alerted of them as well.

With that in mind, the cars behind a car with sequencing brake lights might initially think a turn or lane change is being signaled. The chances are increased if just one side of the car can be seen. Even if you have magical powers and would never hesitate a quarter of a second, some others will. At freeway speeds that quarter second is between 20 and 30 feet. Have you ever seen anyone panic stop and end up less than 20 feet behind the car in front? If that driver delayed a quarter second, it would have been a collision.
A collision may still occur regardless of whether a vehicle has sequencing, flashing, or solid brake lights. It is unfortunately human nature to screw up...no matter how many times from cradle to grave we've been reminded & conditioned to be careful & to be alert...not the fault of a sequencing / flashing light. And I guess everyone who tap their brakes when traffic suddenly slows to a stop are being unsafe? By doing so, applying a safety measure and causing a wreck would mean it is their fault... :shrug: Yeah, I don't think so.

Now to wait for the inevitable post saying: but I like them and I'll take the risk.
Not that I like them, they came with the sequencers. I too prefer sequencing hazard lights only. But a sequencing brake light is still IMHO, just as safe (maybe even safer) than a solid one. Risks are what we take every time we get into our Mustangs regardless of what your brake lights looks like illuminated.

Its okay with me if you want to have sequential brake lights, or not use seat belts or not wear a helmet when motorcycling. Lots of people survive all those things. Just don't be confused by people who don't like sequential brakes enough to take even the slightest extra risk.
No confusion here...some people either don't want them cause there is no need for anything else to be sequential (or otherwise un-necessary like adding a wing, side scoops, hood scoop, x/h pipe, louvers, etc) or some will feel they aren't safe. I think the bottom line is folks who do feel they are unsafe are leaning more towards not trusting the other driver(s) to do the right thing. That is a fair frame of mind, I know I'm guilty of that. Not until autonomous cars (even those f@ck up and kill people) are perfected...but, probably not in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
This. I consider it a silly thing to have BRAKE lights sequence out via the diode dynamics kit. Brake lights are supposed to be RIGHT NOW and not a light show.
Whatever flips your flopper, but I would think a really good lawyer could install some doubt it it were a part of a legal case.
I agree, I think this is a questionable modification. You want as much brightness instantly. Not a "cool factor".

Its a modification which results in more latency before the following driver sees full brightness.

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
I work for a lighting company, It is actually a violation of federal DOT regulations. they state that brake lights can only come on not flash or stutter. We actually had to change one of our setups to meet specs or lose federal contract.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
There's a reason why motorcycle people having flashing and sequencing brakes lights... Because they get attention. The most important thing. Same thing with cars and the DD seqs. I just wished the 4th brake light f1 flashed but they have yet to take my advice on that as many times as I have told them. Sucks

The brake lights are bright as shit to begin with and the seq happens so fast it's so eye catching. The important part....letting the moron behind you KNOW.

But this is the forum and the Internet. So everyone has an opinion.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'd actually like them to flash very quickly non-sequentially twice before going solid. Flashing lights are much more noticed than solid.
Sponsored