Sponsored

Selling GT350R for new Porsche 718 Spyder?

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
I think that's the thing. I wrote a whole long thing breaking it down, but it really shouldn't be necessary--at the end of the day, an average R owner should expect to break even or even lose money in comparison to investing that money in other ways in that timeframe. There's a lot of if's and but's going either way, but even a low mile well taken care of R is not doubling anyone's money anywhere close to 10-20 years from now. How many are going to be keeping theirs longer than that? Through family changes, jobs, houses? Through years of maintenance and insurance and registration costs? So at the end of the day, either people seem to be lying to themselves in terms of what *their* particular car will be worth at any reasonable point in time in the future, or else you're talking about a pretty average-to-crappy financial investment compared to not-car things like the stock market.

That's how it needs to be viewed. You buy a special, expensive-ish car, and you have two options: drive it and use the value of what you paid, or you don't drive it and you basically get to own a garage decoration more or less for free for a few years. That's the conundrum we all face. But I think for me precisely because of that conundrum that I don't view cars from a financial perspective. If you can't afford the depreciation on it don't buy it, or get something that's not even a car. I bought an R because I fully intend to keep it and hopefully pass it on someday. And if for some reason I ever have to sell it at least hopefully it will have *some* value as any R should compared to like, a 10 year old beat-to-hell M3 lets say. That's all really I expect to hope for and I think is a reasonable return on something that also brings so much joy in the meantime since I'm actually going to drive mine. If something horrible happens, I bust all 4 CF wheels, or the engine twists itself into a pretzel, oh well I'll turn it into a Honeybadger-type track monster special or something. I own this thing now and am going down with it. That's the fun of it for me, at least!
Thanks for the feedback, I've owned roughly 40 cars (a dozen or so were M cars, AMGs and Porsche and none of them compared to the visceral feel of this car) and never been naive enough to look at any of them as an investment. I'm just a guy who got lucky enough to stumble upon the first car built in the last model year of production for one of the most legendary sports cars in the modern era. Now that I've spoken to a few people who appear to be in the know, the general consensus is that the chassis number will be worth a considerable amount to the right collector in the future. Who knows what that translates to....
Sponsored

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Nope. No refraining.

Get over what you describe as the numeric "curse" of your car. It's not the very first R and it isn't the very last R. It is still a piece of metal produced somewhere in between iyam. I doubt being the first chassis R tag of 2020 is going to net a huge profit or warrant a special designation of any kind other than it being a 2020 R. Seriously, I wouldn't pay one cent over used car market value for it. But I guess there is a sucker born every minute.

People worry to much about the Voodoo. Ludicrous to not drive it. Get the extended warranty and enjoy it. If you can't enjoy it then go for the other. Life is too short.
Thanks for the feedback, it is ludicrous to not drive it...

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
I'm probably not on board with the 718 Spyder manual. I'd probably look forward to paddling the C8 Z06 before it.

Thanks for posting this review- even though they've managed to cite obvious issues about the gearing being too tall, these guys are clowns and shouldn't be reviewing anything but riding lawnmowers for Lowes...lol.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Being chassis #1 would make me hesitate also. I did not reas all the posts so forgive me if I repeat something.

If you want the car to be a possible investment, you have the correct car to consider that, I'd park it with low mileage and buy another to drive.

If you just want to enjoy it for what it is, I'd thrash it. Ford is required to keep replacement parts for 15 years after discontinuing a model. So you will have 15 years of a voodoo replacement. Who knows how many years you would have for a coyote replacement.

Worst comes to worst you swap in a coyote and keep the Voodoo and when you sell the car you give the original engine to the buyer.

Being it is chassis #1 it will always be more desirable than any other.

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Not to be a naysayer but the fact that your car is 001 for 2020 will not bring much more money than any other 2020 R. If it brings any at all it will be minimal, not enough in my opinion, to keep you from enjoying the car now.

I've been considering selling all three of my cars and getting into a Porsche myself so I can relate to how you are feeling. Porsches are special cars, but so are these, in a different way.

you say you've owned Porsches before so you know better than me what you'd be getting into by making the jump.

Give it a year of ownership and force yourself to drive the R, it may make the decision easier.
Thanks for the feedback, yes, I am well aware of the pros and cons of Porsche. I also acknowledge that the 911 GT3 is the closest comparison to the GT350R and there is a massive price gap between the two- testament to what we have. Every time I fire up my engine, I wonder if the motor is going to let go. This is coming from a guy who broke the vehicle in properly, checks his oil regularly and always goes through a judicious warm up ritual before I spin the motor up. To be clear, my car runs like a raped ape!

Sponsored

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
Being chassis #1 would make me hesitate also. I did not reas all the posts so forgive me if I repeat something.

If you want the car to be a possible investment, you have the correct car to consider that, I'd park it with low mileage and buy another to drive.

If you just want to enjoy it for what it is, I'd thrash it. Ford is required to keep replacement parts for 15 years after discontinuing a model. So you will have 15 years of a voodoo replacement. Who knows how many years you would have for a coyote replacement.

Worst comes to worst you swap in a coyote and keep the Voodoo and when you sell the car you give the original engine to the buyer.

Being it is chassis #1 it will always be more desirable than any other.
Thanks for the feedback, just the thought of the car defying typical depreciation and/or being worth a considerable amount in the future does have me cautious... I would disagree regarding Ford keeping replacement parts available for 15 years or more. Having spent years in the collision industry primarily running large Ford collision centers, I have experienced parts obsolescence on numerous occasions on models that were less than ten years old. Scary stuff! I just don't believe there is going to be a warehouse chock full of new Voodoo engines 5-10 years from now...

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Ford will not have a warehouse full of engines. However Ford and the the aftermarket will have rebuild parts for however long as they are selling.

I think federal law has a say in how long replacement parts are available.

I know people with Vincent Motorcycles in this boat. Polaris has to keep parts in the system but I don't know how long, for some reason I think 15 years.

I get the anxiety.

OP
OP
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
I own at GT350 & a 718... if you do it, you REALLY need to get the manual in the Porsche...!!!
The Doppelkupplungsgetriebe (PDK) is glorious, but it gets boring not rowing gears.
I bought the 718 before I bought the Shelby... I was never bored with the 718 until I purchased the Shelby. I am looking at getting a GTS or GT4 in manual in the future, but I will NOT get rid of the GT350.
I will never get rid of the Shelby due to the exhaust note.
Handling in the 718 is a whole different experience. The GT350 handles great, but the 718 steps it up a notch on the "seat-o-the-pants meter!
Good luck on your quandary my friend.
Thanks for the feedback, yes, I would only drive a manual trans car which is why I cancelled my C8 Corvette order and bought my R. To your point, I can't afford both cars at the moment (I have a sweet tooth for Italian motorcycles) so there lies the dilemma- which car can I drive and enjoy the most or better yet, which car will I worry about the least. Lol. Yes, the exhaust note is rather intoxicating. First world problems...

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
My best friend's engine blew with just over 400 miles and he bought a 2020 as well
so drive yours hard for another 1000 miles and if it survives then your motor will probably last. Infant mortality is a common enough occurance such that if you get past that it's a reasonable chance it'll last.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
(I have a sweet tooth for Italian motorcycles)
toss the cars and ride the *real* exhilarating experience then. You have lots of nice roads in the vicinity. Ducati or Aprilia? I have an RSV4 Tuono myself and a Monster 1200S.

DIB2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 H.E GT350; 1968 Ford Bronco Sport
I wouldn't even consider it unless it was a 911. The boxster will always be considered the poor mans Porsche.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Cayman 4.0 GTS....

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
IMHO, you will always be concerned about the engine, even if you get an extended warranty due to parts obsolescence.......so either park the R and hope it appreciates due to chassis # or get the Porsche......or any other car you feel comfortable driving and drive the hell out of it.
Sponsored