Seat recommendation for dual purpose car

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I am looking to ditch the factory base cloth seats and go for something with more bolster support to keep me in place. The car is primarily a street car that will occasionally go to the track. I would like a provision to use a harness for track days.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I tracked my mustang about 4-6 times a year since I purchased my 2018 new. It came with leather standard seats. I upgraded to the Racaro's a few years back for the same reasons you are considering. I do miss the powered heated and cooling seating. However with the OEM leather Racaro's I feel I did achieve the best of both worlds and I still have the Airbags for street safety. If you do go the OEM Racaro take the air bladder out of your standard seats and put them replace the ones out of the Racaro's. This will keep the airbag warning light happy. Also I do run a four point harness with this seat and it works pretty well with it.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I tracked my mustang about 4-6 times a year since I purchased my 2018 new. It came with leather standard seats. I upgraded to the Racaro's a few years back for the same reasons you are considering. I do miss the powered heated and cooling seating. However with the OEM leather Racaro's I feel I did achieve the best of both worlds and I still have the Airbags for street safety. If you do go the OEM Racaro take the air bladder out of your standard seats and put them replace the ones out of the Racaro's. This will keep the airbag warning light happy. Also I do run a four point harness with this seat and it works pretty well with it.
Some OEM Recaro would be nice but also so much money. It seems like they've gone up in price over the years. Mines a 2015.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I posted a local Offerup ad and within a week a guy contacted me His wife didnt like the way the Recaro fit on long drives. Anyway I paid 400 bucks and my seats for the Recaro's. That price included switching out the air bladders and installing them into his car. Please note that if you do install astd powered seat into a factory Recaro car they do need to do some reprograming to get theirs to work. But the Recaro's into your car will be a plug and play. So start the search locally then fan out

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Run oem stock seats and a scroth harness. I even installed a sub belt.

Comfy seats on street. Tolerable stability at the track.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Run oem stock seats and a scroth harness. I even installed a sub belt.

Comfy seats on street. Tolerable stability at the track.
Not a bad suggestion. I could run that on the street, but my track org won't sanction the Schroth harness unfortunately.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
OEM recaros are pretty good. I run a set with the Schroth harness as well. I also was able to trade seats with somebody for +600 cash or so. Took a while to find trade in my area but eventually one popped up.

I just ran the OEM sofa seats plus the schroth harness before that and it was really good too.

Fwiw the recaros are still about as heavy as the stock seats but the bolstering and passthough holes for the harness are nice.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Some OEM Recaro would be nice but also so much money. It seems like they've gone up in price over the years. Mines a 2015.
Honestly, if you think the OEM recaros are expensive (3700/pair) you might want to reevaluate.

If you need to run a harness, then you’ll need a roll bar or harness bar as well as a HANS device. Just ask Dale Earnhardt. These are all additional costs that add up big time.

When it comes to a dual purpose car, the comfort quality of the seat is a big factor. A bare bones seat can be had for cheap but it’ll suck for more than 20 minutes. An all around good dual purpose seat will be great but you’ll definitely pay more than 3700/pair.

I would recommend going to a race shop and sitting in a seat for the time of your normal commute. Obviously tell the shop that you’re gonna buy eventually and become “partners” with the race shop as opposed to a random customer.

In my case I have a pair of carbon fiber Sparco’s and although great, you don’t want to be in them for a long drive to the track, drive all day then drive home. That is exponentially the case if you have any type of knee/hip/back injury.

Wish you the best of luck OP!

PS, you may be able to work with an entry level Recaro Sportster if it fits your body type. Oh yeah, don’t forget about that part too

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OEM recaros are pretty good. I run a set with the Schroth harness as well. I also was able to trade seats with somebody for +600 cash or so. Took a while to find trade in my area but eventually one popped up.

I just ran the OEM sofa seats plus the schroth harness before that and it was really good too.

Fwiw the recaros are still about as heavy as the stock seats but the bolstering and passthough holes for the harness are nice.
Did your race org sanction the Schroth with your Recaro without a harness bar?

I'm looking at Sparco QRT seats right now, a Krause harness bar, Sparco 6pt harness and the other bits to mount the seat. It'll run me about $3k per side and obviously it'll be a lot harsher driving around on the street.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Honestly, if you think the OEM recaros are expensive (3700/pair) you might want to reevaluate.

If you need to run a harness, then you’ll need a roll bar or harness bar as well as a HANS device. Just ask Dale Earnhardt. These are all additional costs that add up big time.

When it comes to a dual purpose car, the comfort quality of the seat is a big factor. A bare bones seat can be had for cheap but it’ll suck for more than 20 minutes. An all around good dual purpose seat will be great but you’ll definitely pay more than 3700/pair.

I would recommend going to a race shop and sitting in a seat for the time of your normal commute. Obviously tell the shop that you’re gonna buy eventually and become “partners” with the race shop as opposed to a random customer.

In my case I have a pair of carbon fiber Sparco’s and although great, you don’t want to be in them for a long drive to the track, drive all day then drive home. That is exponentially the case if you have any type of knee/hip/back injury.

Wish you the best of luck OP!

PS, you may be able to work with an entry level Recaro Sportster if it fits your body type. Oh yeah, don’t forget about that part too
How bad is it daily driving with the race seat? Real bad?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
How bad is it daily driving with the race seat? Real bad?
I don’t think you want to do it. If your 18 it might not be bad but if your older, have pre-existing injuries or have a long commute I wouldn’t do it.

There are hybrid seats (like the Recaro Sportster) that may help.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I don’t think you want to do it. If your 18 it might not be bad but if your older, have pre-existing injuries or have a long commute I wouldn’t do it.

There are hybrid seats (like the Recaro Sportster) that may help.
Yeah I have a long commute to work and some of the roads are bad. And I'm already running 515lb front springs.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
Yeah I have a long commute to work and some of the roads are bad. And I'm already running 515lb front springs.
Ok so your car has more track than street in it currently. I’d say F it and buy a beater and make it a full blown racecar lol
Sponsored