Sponsored

Scrape on tire sidewall?

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Hi all, 2 questions,
Anyone know what causes these random scrapes on the tire sidewall and is this tire still good or need replacement? I just noticed this scrape that's about 2mm deep (no cords showing) and I have never had curb rash or scraped anything while driving.

20220422_173110.jpg
Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Something hit ya...

OP
OP
Albertcado

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
In all seriousness I've never had tire scrapes like this on any of my cars so I actually don't know if it's safe to drive on or if I need it replaced.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Not sure how to answer in terms of actually having solid knowledge. By that I mean whatever opinion i may give is just that, an opinion only backed up by guess work. So with the understanding I cannot give sound advice by looking at a picture and also that there may be details about the tire I am not aware of. Basically I will be guessing.

looks like a scuff in the surface layer of rubber. The area with ten number 5301 appears to be at near the same level below the ribbed part as the scuffed bit. If such is correct the scuff may not amount to a flaw. Just a guess however.

I had new tires on my truck and got a small nail in one. I plugged the tire myself. I ran it on the back for a while. I know you are not to plug a sidewall but you do not have a puncture.

The scuff appears to be an external cosmetic divot. There is not a bulge at the spot to indicate internal structural damage. You have to make a call. I drove around on tires on my car which were over 12 years old until three weeks ago, so why listen to me.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Hi all, 2 questions,
Anyone know what causes these random scrapes on the tire sidewall and is this tire still good or need replacement? I just noticed this scrape that's about 2mm deep (no cords showing) and I have never had curb rash or scraped anything while driving.

20220422_173110.jpg
Probably a piece of metal or the like that you clipped on the highway (I had a piece that fell off the truck in front of me cut all the way through the sidewall one time).

If you can't see the cords and there's no bulging, I would think the tire is fine. It's a non-repairable area, so if it starts to leak or bulge, the tire is shot. Even if it ruptures through (and you would see that coming), that size slash will take a bit to go flat, and I would expect that you should be able to safely pull over and stop on anything short of a track.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Dave for your deep insight...

That reads like a realistic assessment, not going into the why. Most likely would not get that eighter.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
FWIW, I agree with @Zooks527. Looks like you're lucky, it only got through the upper-most layer. If it was mine, I'd continue to drive on it.

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
The more I look at it, the more I think it came out of the mold like that. Is it just that one tire of your set?

Expat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Vehicle(s)
2020 Convertible Mustang GT Premium
First, it is perfectly usable, at time of this picture. If it deforms, bulges or shows threads, it needs to be replaced.

The picture shows a larger cut at first, then gradually going shallow, and some minor cuts after the initial gouge. This means it was damaged while rotating and in my opinion definitely not a manufacturer defect.

What caused it? You will probably never know. Be thankful it was the tire and not the paint.

Best of luck, drive safe, have fun!

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Thanks Dave for your deep insight...
It looks like something shot off someone else's tire to the side and hit you. It's cosmetic, like you said no chords or bubbling. You should have no worries.
Sponsored