Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
We'll definitely find out in a few weeks. I've got a set of 275/35-18 square on staggered 18x9/18x10, and 265/35-18 and 285/30-18's on another set. I'll be brining the rears of the second set to decide gearing choices in Lincoln after course walk.
If in doubt, as a local to the concrete and a local to one of the course designers.... taller is going to be better unless you can achieve some silly speeds in 2nd gear. I know I can't, so taller will always be better for me. I'll give up some acceleration, but not shifting is nice too.

Still not sure why Ford couldn't have given us the extra 500 RPM or something considering how hard the car pulls to redline.... you can't even do a 0-60 test without shifting to third... how silly Ford! ;)
Sponsored

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
I get just shy of 68 on the 275's and 65.5 on the 285's. Helps to have 8300 red line.

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
just spitballing here but does anyone think going to 20" setup (20x9, 20x9.5) would be worth doing? Bridgestone makes a 285/35/20 and the overall diameter would lead to a higher 2nd gear speed.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
just spitballing here but does anyone think going to 20" setup (20x9, 20x9.5) would be worth doing? Bridgestone makes a 285/35/20 and the overall diameter would lead to a higher 2nd gear speed.
It might. I know Eric Yee, when he ran his GHIG 2013 Track Pack Mustang (same basic drivetrain as us, 6850 fuel cut, 2.43 second gear, 3.73 rear gear) was running that setup on his car to get some extra speed in second gear. I'm not sure the 20" wheels are worth the weight and expense (I'm not sure replacing the factory wheels is that big of an advantage on these cars either), but it is certainly an experiment to try.

Honestly, as short as second gear is, at Nationals this year, there was really only two times I felt it was NECESSARY to shift. Once was at the very finish with no need to downshift, and the other time was going up the back section on Hunter's East Course near the east orange fence. I didn't gain much by doing it and probably lost some time in the downshift. I also don't find myself going to third that often on local courses either on the Nationals Site. Would it help some to have 4 mph extra? Yeah, probably, enough to justify the cost of 20" wheels and tires for a stock class car? ehhh.... I'm a cheapass and doubt I'll ever finish higher than bottom of the trophies if above midpack at all! :)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Ecoboost (and V6) is no longer in FS. DS got a huge amount of new cars in there... No 1/LE classing yet though, at least they did not stuff M2 in FS.

(Recommended for 2017)

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Areddi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Grabber Blue
Looking to get a set of Koni Yellows, but I saw that the Bilstein B6 is available for preorder now. Anyone have thoughts on this as an option? I know Bilsteins are not adjustable, but are designed to be optimized out of the box. Opinions?

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Might be optimized, but with the adjustable shocks you can tailor the rebound settings to your driving style. If you like more rotation on turn it, you can dial it in with adjustable shocks. The fixed settings you are stuck with what someone said the car should drive like.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
dontlifttoshoft has got a killer set of shocks for anyone running in FS!

I co-drove analog's FS car Saturday down in Marina, CA with AAS. It was our second annual escape from winter autocross trip and had a blast. Last year we took my car down for its maiden runs as an STP car. This year, we had just put Konis on his car so thought we'd take his down and get some seat time on them.

I ran first and he was riding along. It has been a while since he got a ride with me and it was a little eye opening for him and what the car can do. Sorry for the language but I think the reactions are pretty funny :thumbsup:

[ame]

This is my last run and I had no passenger this time. I was expecting a lower time but I guess I made a few mistakes not being used to the car without the weight of a passenger. I'm finding having passengers really throws my timing off compared to no passengers.

[ame]

Sponsored

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
dontlifttoshoft has got a killer set of shocks for anyone running in FS!

I co-drove analog's FS car Saturday down in Marina, CA with AAS. It was our second annual escape from winter autocross trip and had a blast. Last year we took my car down for its maiden runs as an STP car. This year, we had just put Konis on his car so thought we'd take his down and get some seat time on them.

I ran first and he was riding along. It has been a while since he got a ride with me and it was a little eye opening for him and what the car can do. Sorry for the language but I think the reactions are pretty funny :thumbsup:

This is my last run and I had no passenger this time. I was expecting a lower time but I guess I made a few mistakes not being used to the car without the weight of a passenger. I'm finding having passengers really throws my timing off compared to no passengers.

Nice driving Steve! I am jealous that you got to run some laps already. Hopefully we'll see you guys at more of our events this year. I finally got mine all ready to go last weekend with an oil change, sway bar changes and an alignment check. Can't wait to get to an event.

James

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Nice driving Steve! I am jealous that you got to run some laps already. Hopefully we'll see you guys at more of our events this year. I finally got mine all ready to go last weekend with an oil change, sway bar changes and an alignment check. Can't wait to get to an event.

James
Thanks, man and good to hear from you! It is so nice to run down there in Marina in the middle of winter. Next year we need to get a whole group of us from OR to converge on them down there to blow off some steam and have some early season fun :D

BTW, my 2nd-4th runs were good enough to take FS from all those guys down there. I guess all the slip-sliding around on the snow and ice up here in Central OR kept my autox skills sharp ;)

I am hoping to do more OR Region events this year starting with Event #1 as X-CAMC.

thevillageidiot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT premium with PP 6speed
Im leaving FS for STP, but i have a set of FS legal 18s Forgestars for sale. I'm going to do 850 shipped for the set ill be posting in the for sale section shortly.

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Fellow F streeters, I have asked before elsewhere, but want to try here as well. Has anybody had any luck finding a rear brake pad that will pair okay with the oem PP front pads? I want to keep running the oem front pads (I'm cheap) but would like to shift the braking balance rearward a bit.

On another note, I have made a few changes for the start of this season. I went back to the oem rear bar and will be trying a drilled oem front bar. I drilled a new hole 1 inch shorter than the oem hole. My clacs say that it will be a little softer than the larger (35mm I think) bars on the softest setting. I liked the Strano rear bar on it's softest setting but thought the the middle was too much. So far the added front roll stiffness is nice but I won't have it on course for another couple weeks.
Sponsored