Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
jpaulson, good seeing you at Dallesport this weekend and thanks for letting me ride along on a run. I've certainly had better weekends :frusty:

I'd say your car is dialed in quite nicely and you're driving the hell out of it. Giving those guys in CAMC a run for their money! See you at Crows this year?
Nice to see you too, Ryan. Unfortunately, not making the trip to crows this year. Hoping to start making arrangements for a trip to nationals though.
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Setup question - what setting does everybody have their sway bars set to ?

I have Strano rear bar + Konis (front ones set firmer than rear). Last year ran on the softest setting, this year to experiment switched to mid setting (which I think most people have). It made the car rotate easier but also *seems* rear wasn't steady and it made me hesitate to fully commit to turns (didn't help course) had a lot of loose gravel / low grip / third of it driven if first gear.

Is it just me not used to it and mid-setting is universally thought to be better or should I just go with what feels right ?
(non-PP car so stock front bar is less stiff than on PP, therefore front/rear stiffness difference is greater)
My Strano rear bar is on medium. Started on soft when running PZeros and stock shocks. Tried medium back then, but the car would exhibit a nervous twitch when settling mid-corner with the stock shocks.

Switching to Konis and RE71Rs later and the car seems to like the rear bar on Medium. RE71Rs are 285 all round. Konis are set to 6/20 front, 4.5/10 rear or 7/10 front, 5.5/10 rear if the surface is flat, grippy and I'm feelin frisky. Took 2nd at the March College Station TX Championship Tour out of 10.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thanks a lot guys. I'll keep on medium for a little longer and maybe experiment with damping settings some more, having alignment done and fresh tires on later this week.

I thought I had it figured out on the last run but - it was last run, course that had no higher speed turns didn't help either :/

Thanks !

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Thanks a lot guys. I'll keep on medium for a little longer and maybe experiment with damping settings some more, having alignment done and fresh tires on later this week.

I thought I had it figured out on the last run but - it was last run, course that had no higher speed turns didn't help either :/

Thanks !
Speaking of alignment have you done the crash bolts?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Speaking of alignment have you done the crash bolts?
The replacement "service" bolts ? I have them and will be putting them on this Thursday during alignment, can report results of how much camber they allowed to get if anybody's interested (I have not-slotted Konis).

Factory manual in recent versions does not have slotting anymore, just bolts.

Sponsored

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
The replacement "service" bolts ? I have them and will be putting them on this Thursday during alignment, can report results of how much camber they allowed to get if anybody's interested (I have not-slotted Konis).

I got 2.4 out of mine in the front.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

Makes me wonder what SCCA's position is going to be concerning cars that did have the strut slotting done when it was an official shop manual procedure.

Norm

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Makes me wonder what SCCA's position is going to be concerning cars that did have the strut slotting done when it was an official shop manual procedure.

Norm
why? if there's an FSM procedure for a specific MY, it's legal, regardless of FSM changes for future model years. it's still there in the 15-16MY FSM, nothing changed..

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I suppose the question is whether this change actually coincided with the model year runs. Or at least with enough notice so people buying early 2017's would have known to avoid using what had been acceptable procedure.

Norm

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I have no idea how SCCA handles that stuff. First I assume you have to be protested by a fellow competitior?

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
why? if there's an FSM procedure for a specific MY, it's legal, regardless of FSM changes for future model years. it's still there in the 15-16MY FSM, nothing changed..
The whole point is - it's not. I have manual for a '15 that I downloaded more than a year ago off Motorcraft subscription and it's absolutely gone.

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
The whole point is - it's not. I have manual for a '15 that I downloaded more than a year ago off Motorcraft subscription and it's absolutely gone.
the helm manual is still there, with the same part number it had when i ordered it on 7/16/16 (and has the slotting procedure detailed):

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...m=result&Style=helm&Sku=FCS1294615&itemtype=N

fwiw, helm has been considered an acceptable version of the FSM presented for protests. my codriver and i did this @ 2009 nats to support our case in the great DS ITR air filter debacle. however, i have no idea if there is prior precedent of discrepancies existing between different FSM publications (i'd have to imagine there is). time to write a letter?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
the helm manual is still there, with the same part number it had when i ordered it on 7/16/16 (and has the slotting procedure detailed):

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product...m=result&Style=helm&Sku=FCS1294615&itemtype=N

fwiw, helm has been considered an acceptable version of the FSM presented for protests. my codriver and i did this @ 2009 nats to support our case in the great DS ITR air filter debacle. however, i have no idea if there is prior precedent of discrepancies existing between different FSM publications (i'd have to imagine there is). time to write a letter?
It would be interesting to see if Helm's somehow got updated - for everybody's interest - I attached pdf with front camber adjustment. Procedure revision date is 10/1/2015.

Attachments

RN53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
With slotting or just bolts ?
You would need slotting and bolts. The bolts by themselves provide very little negative camber.
Sponsored