Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

RN53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Has anybody figured out (I see DickR and RN53 registered) what is the '16 Camaro SS / Detroit / careers.gm.com invasion about on Wilmington Tour ?

Bunch of people registered in FS/FSL/CAMC and STU.
It's a group of engineers from GM driving the new Camaro. At an earlier Toledo event they brought out 3 different cars and ran them with different drivers in each session (same 3 cars just put in different classes to allow everyone to drive). Nice group of people.

I'm pretty sure it's discussed in this thread http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?52654-2016-Camaro
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It's a group of engineers from GM driving the new Camaro. At an earlier Toledo event they brought out 3 different cars and ran them with different drivers in each session (same 3 cars just put in different classes to allow everyone to drive). Nice group of people.

I'm pretty sure it's discussed in this thread http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?52654-2016-Camaro
Thanks, interesting thread and interesting forum.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT

They better hope those classes are all in different heats if there are only 2 or 3 cars.:)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Just a general question - do you ever guys downshift to 1st gear (especially that it is so short) ? We had a local event here (and will have two more) on a post stamp lot, half of the course driven in a 1st gear, didn't have to downshift since the 2nd half was little faster but can imagine such course. Miata people were downshifting in a 1st section since they're short geared. Do you ever do that ?

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Just a general question - do you ever guys downshift to 1st gear (especially that it is so short) ? We had a local event here (and will have two more) on a post stamp lot, half of the course driven in a 1st gear, didn't have to downshift since the 2nd half was little faster but can imagine such course. Miata people were downshifting in a 1st section since they're short geared. Do you ever do that ?
Can't even imagine a course tight enough to downshift or even use 1st gear. IN a PP car at least, 2nd is already so short that putting power down can be an issue.

I ran an FRS in C Street last year and only came across one corner where I even considered going to first, and it's a gutless wonder.

Sponsored

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I couldn't have imagined having to shift into 1st until this last Saturday's autocross. We had a narrow 180* hairpin on the course that I almost had to make a 3 point turn for. Ok that is a bit of an exaggeration but not much. The first time I ran it in second but couldn't get the car to come around. After that I ran it in first and that worked out better for me.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I couldn't have imagined having to shift into 1st until this last Saturday's autocross. We had a narrow 180* hairpin on the course that I almost had to make a 3 point turn for. Ok that is a bit of an exaggeration but not much. The first time I ran it in second but couldn't get the car to come around. After that I ran it in first and that worked out better for me.
That's more or less what our course was - short straight, 180 degree hairpin, another short straight and another 180 degree hairpin - all that easily on 1st without reaching rev limiter (I'm 3.55, not 3.71 like most).

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Little pinched haha. Hows strut clearance? I thought you would need to go aftermarket rims to fit 285's

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
"Little pinched" is what rules limiting wheel widths but not tire sizes drives you to if you want to be more than "field-filler" for other peoples' trophies. And the short durations of autocross runs is what lets you get away with it.

Norm

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
I am.... it works.

If that's on a 9" wheel, I'm not buying it. The section width of a 275 on a 9.5" wheel versus a 285 on a 10" wheel is just .3". There is no way a 9" wheel is going to stretch that tire any wider. On the rear 9.5" wheel, it may have marginal benefit but not with the gearing of the Stang. What seems to work locally won't Nat'l.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
Little pinched haha. Hows strut clearance? I thought you would need to go aftermarket rims to fit 285's
Plenty of clearance to the strut but I'm also using a 5mm spacer up front to widen the front track to try and remove the induced understeer bias from having a wider rear track than front track.

If that's on a 9" wheel, I'm not buying it. The section width of a 275 on a 9.5" wheel versus a 285 on a 10" wheel is just .3". There is no way a 9" wheel is going to stretch that tire any wider. On the rear 9.5" wheel, it may have marginal benefit but not with the gearing of the Stang. What seems to work locally won't Nat'l.
You can not buy it all you want, but I can tell you right now their are more benefits than just contact patch. Heat tolerance is the biggest advantage of the larger tire. My car is a two driver car and our tires get SMOKING hot even with 285's... 275's could not be cooled fast enough to not be super greasy through all but the first runs. I've also noticed that these 285's are actually wearing significantly better than the 275's were too.

As for "not competitive at the pointy end"... the car did place second at Spring Nats... but that's a very small data set... never mind a lot of other people running 285's on 9" wheels on their Coyote S197's... or on their 8.5" wide wheels on the Shelby's. We'll see for sure who's right come September when my co-driver and I run in FS there.

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
I am selling my FS legal 18 inch setup. They worked great for really tight courses or really fast courses (crows for example). Honestly I just suck at shifting and it distracts me. If anyone is interested in trying them at a greatly reduced price or looking for some lightweight track wheels, check them out in the classified section. They are still wrapped in 275 35 18 RE71R's with some life left in them.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62369

z3papa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 BMW M3
Plenty of clearance to the strut but I'm also using a 5mm spacer up front to widen the front track to try and remove the induced understeer bias from having a wider rear track than front track.

You can not buy it all you want, but I can tell you right now their are more benefits than just contact patch. Heat tolerance is the biggest advantage of the larger tire. My car is a two driver car and our tires get SMOKING hot even with 285's... 275's could not be cooled fast enough to not be super greasy through all but the first runs. I've also noticed that these 285's are actually wearing significantly better than the 275's were too.

As for "not competitive at the pointy end"... the car did place second at Spring Nats... but that's a very small data set... never mind a lot of other people running 285's on 9" wheels on their Coyote S197's... or on their 8.5" wide wheels on the Shelby's. We'll see for sure who's right come September when my co-driver and I run in FS there.
We'll definitely find out in a few weeks. I've got a set of 275/35-18 square on staggered 18x9/18x10, and 265/35-18 and 285/30-18's on another set. I'll be brining the rears of the second set to decide gearing choices in Lincoln after course walk.
Sponsored