Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX

MrMagnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Base GT
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54909

Down the page a bit there are the slotting instructions. Might want to print these out and keep them with your car for SCCA stuff.
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

The catch seems to be whether slotting is an accepted procedure specifically for 2017's (at this point in time). For earlier years, it definitely was.

Norm
I have a 2016 so hopefully I'd be ok after that mod. I'm not likely to be protested because my speciality is going slow in the fast sections of a course and fast in the slow sections. I would significantly benefit from less wear on the outer shoulder of my front tires.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
It would truly suck if they invalidate this for 16 and 17 model years as it is going to be deucedly tricky to unslot some konis :)

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
It would truly suck if they invalidate this for 16 and 17 model years as it is going to be deucedly tricky to unslot some konis :)
If you go little earlier in the thread, even later updates of '15 FSM did not have slotting procedure in there anymore.

It will likely take a protest to invalidate it and IMHO for '16 and '17 it could be found being illegal (and it's relatively easy to inspect). It would not only suck from the point of unslotting the struts but it would be impossible to get any decent negative camber in street.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
it would take a real asshole (and a mustang expert) to protest over that, and goven that its on record as a Ford approved procedure. wouldn't all the Nationals tier mustangs get dropped if they didn't allow the old strut slot mod? Are those guys really running stock struts w/ low camber?

Someone could post a question to the SCCA board and they could (eventually) clarify it for us...

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
FYI: I accessed the service manual on motorcraft.com for my 2016 GT. It does in fact show that you can enlarge to strut hole, BUT it clearly states 1mm each direction. That is different from the 2015 manual that Dick posted that showed 1-2mm. It also clearly states to use 2 service bolts (one for each side) and describes than as flangeless and smaller in diameter. It does not give a part number....

I know I part number for service bolts somewhere, anybody have it handy?

I can send a pdf by email. PM if you would like it.

James

Edit, looks like the wording for the service bolts is the same.

Last edited:

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
it would take a real asshole (and a mustang expert) to protest over that, and goven that its on record as a Ford approved procedure. wouldn't all the Nationals tier mustangs get dropped if they didn't allow the old strut slot mod? Are those guys really running stock struts w/ low camber?

Someone could post a question to the SCCA board and they could (eventually) clarify it for us...
Well, it wouldn't take a Mustang expert.....There are National Level M3 and Camaro drivers that lurk these forums. See my post above. I will be buying new struts before Nats.

James

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI: I accessed the service manual on motorcraft.com for my 2016 GT. It does in fact show that you can enlarge to strut hole, BUT it clearly states 1mm each direction. That is different from the 2015 manual that Dick posted that showed 1-2mm. It also clearly states to use 2 service bolts (one for each side) and describes than as flangeless and smaller in diameter. It does not give a part number....

I know I part number for service bolts somewhere, anybody have it handy?

I can send a pdf by email. PM if you would like it.

James

Edit, looks like the wording for the service bolts is the same.
I think the unsplined p/n is W715295-S439

This assumes the splined p/n is W715392-S439

My notes aren't clear to even me.

I've previously posted dimensions of the two bolts in the critical portions of the bolts. The difference is less than 0.5 mm.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI my car was built when the original FSM was in effect. There is no indication that the original FSM has been superseded so for my car 1 - 2 mm still applies. :-)

Sponsored

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
Does anybody have location measurements for the oem strut holes? My stockers were already butchered up. I am planning on adding material back to my konis and regrinding to the 1mm allowance.

Sad that we have to go to these extremes over 1mm......

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
Does anybody have location measurements for the oem strut holes? My stockers were already butchered up. I am planning on adding material back to my konis and regrinding to the 1mm allowance.

Sad that we have to go to these extremes over 1mm......
You only "have to" if you're dead set on running Street class. You could do nothing and simply run STP or CAM-C either of which allow more mods if you're so inclined. Of course if you go down that road then camber plates are the first thing on the list :)

jpaulson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP
You only "have to" if you're dead set on running Street class. You could do nothing and simply run STP or CAM-C either of which allow more mods if you're so inclined. Of course if you go down that road then camber plates are the first thing on the list :)
Running FS at nats this year.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I want I know how they'd even check to verify...

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
I want I know how they'd even check to verify...
Someone would have to protest you for illegal camber. Then you'd have to visit the protest committee & get to take the front suspension apart so the holes could be measured against the FSM.

My first trip to Nats was codriving a car that went through this exact protest & process. It thoroughly sucked and was a spiteful protest instigated by a higher finishing driver in a similar car that couldn't comprehend that we were legal. We were :D
Sponsored