Sponsored

SCCA F-Street Setup. What's Everyone Done so Far?

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
You would need slotting and bolts. The bolts by themselves provide very little negative camber.
slotting only for me.. helps when I have a shop and can basically unbolt everything and use a pry bar to get it as negative as possible.

I'm still debating what to do with the rear currently only have it at -1.5
Sponsored

MrMagnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Base GT
I need a new set of tires. I'm considering RE71 in 255 front and 275 rear on 19" PP wheels. Am I going to regret going with these sizes instead of 285 all around, or other larger tires? I'm concerned that the 285 won't fit the 9" front wheels and I'll lose grip with a distorted contact patch.

My plan for these tires is to only use them for autox. Maybe I'll drive them to/from nearby events (~50 miles each way). This is my first year in autox and I have run 5 days on the stock Pirellis. I would prefer to not continue tearing up my daily tires so I'm buying a set of autox tires.

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
If you don't want to do 285s, I have ran 275s square on the PP wheels with no problems. The car loves a square setup.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I need a new set of tires. I'm considering RE71 in 255 front and 275 rear on 19" PP wheels. Am I going to regret going with these sizes instead of 285 all around, or other larger tires? I'm concerned that the 285 won't fit the 9" front wheels and I'll lose grip with a distorted contact patch.
People seem to be still gaining grip when they go slightly "over-wide" with the tires. For the limited and narrowly-defined use that you describe, losing some turn-in crispness and steering precision would be the downsides (that you compensate for from the driver seat, most likely by altering your timing of steering inputs to start a little earlier and relying more on slip angles to keep you running just wide of the cones instead of over top of them).

Norm

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP

My plan for these tires is to only use them for autox. Maybe I'll drive them to/from nearby events (~50 miles each way). This is my first year in autox and I have run 5 days on the stock Pirellis. I would prefer to not continue tearing up my daily tires so I'm buying a set of autox tires.
275's fit fine on the PP wheels (I ran those all last season). 285's also fit fine but I have those one a set of rims with the offset as far out as I can and it is close on the front strut.

I ran 275's front and 285's rear before I moved to 285's on all 4 corners. I liked the square setup more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
285s fit the 9" wheels well enough. Its not as ideal as running 285s on a propper 10" wheel, but they mount up and do their job.

I had square 275 RE71Rs last season and bumped to 285s square for this year. I haven't noticed any downsides in turn-in or steering precision. The car just seems to work better with the wider rubber, and grip does seem slightly increased.

Last year on 275s, I recorded a lot of 1.15g in turns, and this year on 285s I'm seeing more and more 1.20g readings, but I also fine tuned shock and tire pressure settings a bit this year.

So, my vote is to go straight to 285 square.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
285s fit the 9" wheels well enough. Its not as ideal as running 285s on a propper 10" wheel, but they mount up and do their job.

I had square 275 RE71Rs last season and bumped to 285s square for this year. I haven't noticed any downsides in turn-in or steering precision. The car just seems to work better with the wider rubber, and grip does seem slightly increased.

Last year on 275s, I recorded a lot of 1.15g in turns, and this year on 285s I'm seeing more and more 1.20g readings, but I also fine tuned shock and tire pressure settings a bit this year.

So, my vote is to go straight to 285 square.
The biggest thing my co-driver and I noticed was heat management. We aren't beating the crap out of the 285's nearly as bad as we were the 275's. The 275's would overheat on a single run with both of us driving and no amount of tire spraying would ever solve that problem because it was the carcass that was getting too hot and holding the temperature. With the 285's we get much better heat management and spraying actually means the tires will make it through a full run without issue!

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
The biggest thing my co-driver and I noticed was heat management. We aren't beating the crap out of the 285's nearly as bad as we were the 275's. The 275's would overheat on a single run with both of us driving and no amount of tire spraying would ever solve that problem because it was the carcass that was getting too hot and holding the temperature. With the 285's we get much better heat management and spraying actually means the tires will make it through a full run without issue!
This is something I noticed too this year I haven't seen any downsides from 285's but next year it is goodbye FS hello CAM

MrMagnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic Base GT
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like 285 square is the way to go. Will I need spacers on the front to avoid the struts with PP wheels? I'm still using the factory PP struts, Koni yellows are probably not happening until next season.

Sponsored

jhols

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like 285 square is the way to go. Will I need spacers on the front to avoid the struts with PP wheels? I'm still using the factory PP struts, Koni yellows are probably not happening until next season.
I'm not sure if you run the stock camber but if you slot the struts for more camber you will. Not much of a spacer probably like 5mm.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe not. I'm running a 5mm hubcentric spacer but I have the slotted strut to spindle bolt hole camber mod. If you haven't done that and aren't running a crash bolts for camber (which I think is the new approved way to get legal front camber?) then you're probably going to be ok for tire to strut clearance.

FWIW, doing the allowed camber mod is a good idea. Your front tire shoulder will last longer and you'll probably pickup a little turnin grip.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
FWIW, doing the allowed camber mod is a good idea. Your front tire shoulder will last longer and you'll probably pickup a little turnin grip.
I'd call it a good idea even if you don't actually track or autocross your car but do drive it with more than "moderate cornering enthusiasm" on a fairly regular basis. The only difference might be that you might not take the camber settings quite as far negative as you would for track/autocross.

Norm

jdub.csu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
If you haven't done the camber mod I also highly suggest it. A 5mm spacer will set you up for the front with the stock wheels.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
If you haven't done the camber mod I also highly suggest it. A 5mm spacer will set you up for the front with the stock wheels.
I used a 5mm spacer as well but not because of tire clearance issues. I used them to help widen the front track to balance out some of the 1.7" wider rear track. What "help" this has is probably minimal but it makes me feel better! ;)
Sponsored