Sponsored

Safety/Reliability of recent superchargers?

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
Saw a vid on YouTube. Their the ones throwing in ....I think a Whipple ...and selling it new that way right?

Im definitely not buying another Mustang. I'll either keep this one, bump up the power, or trade it for a fast SUV. Will never go the useless back seat route again until at least my son moves out/goes to college. Question is....if I keep what I have...do I really want to hold on to a car and drive it well under 1k miles per year for at least 8 years or do I get rid of it for a fast SUV??

That's just what I need to consider but it's somewhat independent from the current topic of supercharging.
If that's where you're at keep the car and drive it 1k per year. I've been where you're at and once you get rid of a fun toy that's paid for they are so hard to get back.
Sponsored

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I've said it before and I'll say it again, be smart about it and you'll be good.
I'm on my 3rd mustang SC'd and I haven't had a problem. Only issue was a surging issue that got resolved on my 3rd tune revision on my 13.
I'm currently driving my 19 whipple today in 16* weather, will I go WOT today and bounce off the Rev limiter, nope.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Go drive an ST. They run really well. I bought my wife one when covid started and they had huge discounts. She was in a limited 4runner before. She had no clue what the power difference was until she drove it. The stock sound is really tame, atleast for me. I installed a Borla exhaust pretty much the minute they came out. It sounds really good, and in my opinion the way they should sound from the factory. With a couple inexpensive mods and a tune you can get them easily in the 12's.

Saw a vid on YouTube. Their the ones throwing in ....I think a Whipple ...and selling it new that way right?

Im definitely not buying another Mustang. I'll either keep this one, bump up the power, or trade it for a fast SUV. Will never go the useless back seat route again until at least my son moves out/goes to college. Question is....if I keep what I have...do I really want to hold on to a car and drive it well under 1k miles per year for at least 8 years or do I get rid of it for a fast SUV??

That's just what I need to consider but it's somewhat independent from the current topic of supercharging.

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
Take it from me, whether it be a cool truck (Raptor) or cool SUV (ST), you will still miss the Mustang. I've had them all and keep crawling back. Fortunately this time I have both. I'm good for now.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
3 years and counting here on a Whipple GEN 3 stage 1 kit. Car is a toy so nothing but 1/4 mile passes, 2 or so 60 mile round trips out of town, and then 1700 miles/3 states and 4 race tracks on Rocky Mountain Race Week last June.

Around 17000 miles since the Whipple installation.

Nothing but fun. Been a super reliable setup, have ran the Whipple tune since day 1. Pump 91 with some octane booster when I race it just for added safety. Dyno'd 643 with just the Whipple kit, rest of the car was stock still.

But, doesn't mean your experience will be the same. Could fail day 1, could never fail. A lot of variables are involved when modding to this level. Bottom line, if you want a warranty AND this power level, you'll need to get a GT500.

Otherwise, if it's paid off......just save some back for if something happens. If it never does, you're just that much ahead for whatever you decide to do next.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
3 years and counting here on a Whipple GEN 3 stage 1 kit. Car is a toy so nothing but 1/4 mile passes, 2 or so 60 mile round trips out of town, and then 1700 miles/3 states and 4 race tracks on Rocky Mountain Race Week last June.

Around 17000 miles since the Whipple installation.

Nothing but fun. Been a super reliable setup, have ran the Whipple tune since day 1. Pump 91 with some octane booster when I race it just for added safety. Dyno'd 643 with just the Whipple kit, rest of the car was stock still.

But, doesn't mean your experience will be the same. Could fail day 1, could never fail. A lot of variables are involved when modding to this level. Bottom line, if you want a warranty AND this power level, you'll need to get a GT500.

Otherwise, if it's paid off......just save some back for if something happens. If it never does, you're just that much ahead for whatever you decide to do next.
Save some....about how much are we talking? I'm thinking if the supercharger goes, replacing that is ~$12k+ (parts/labor). Can it's dying harm/kill the engine or any other parts or is it all isolated to the blower? If it can damage/destroy the engine what are crated Coyote's going for nowadays with parts/chip availability issues?

In another forum I've been recently told that when turbos die they really don't harm anything else....just need to replace the turbo. Assuming that's true, could the same be said for SC's? I think the primary concern at that point would be the aggravation/apprehension that the wrench/check engine light would keep popping up. I've watched my dad go through that. Only difference between he and I is that he has endless time and a LOT more money to throw at that problem than I do.

Thanks

Last edited:

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Save some....about how much are we talking? I'm thinking if the supercharger goes, replacing that is ~$12k+ (parts/labor). Can it's dying harm/kill the engine or any other parts or is it all isolated to the blower? If it can damage/destroy the engine what are crated Coyote's going for nowadays with parts/chip availability issues?

In another forum I've been recently told that when turbos die they really don't harm anything else....just need to replace the turbo. Assuming that's true, could the same be said for SC's? I think the primary concern at that point would be the aggravation/apprehension that the wrench/check engine light would keep popping up. I've watched my dad go through that. Only difference between he and I is that he has endless time and a LOT more money to throw at that problem than I do.

Thanks
I think the easiest way to answer all of the above, is no matter what direction you go, be prepared for the worst case scenario.

When I purchased and went boosted, I pretty much committed to having enough laying around to repair anything that fails on my own dime, and warranty really didn't mean much as what little warranty you can get with the kits available (most start at warranty in-service date of vehicle, and have $$ amount caps), didn't really mean much to me.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the easiest way to answer all of the above, is no matter what direction you go, be prepared for the worst case scenario.

When I purchased and went boosted, I pretty much committed to having enough laying around to repair anything that fails on my own dime, and warranty really didn't mean much as what little warranty you can get with the kits available (most start at warranty in-service date of vehicle, and have $$ amount caps), didn't really mean much to me.
Maybe "some" wasn't the right word?

I was going right to worst case scenario of needing to replace the engine AND supercharger...$12k for the blower and it looks like crated Coyote's are $9k plus what....maybe $5k+ labor? So for just those two around $26k.

I only paid around $31k for the car new.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
I started boosted, didn't buy the car for a warranty. I am now preemptively building a motor. Hopefully I don't blow the stock one as I will pull it and it will be a ready spare. I will also have a ready spare built trans. Not the cheapest solution, but reliable.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Sorry, but you need to move on from modifying anything. HP and speed cost money. And shxt breaks. Stick with something with a factory warranty. There’s no guarantee you or I will wake up tomorrow. The uncertain isn’t for everybody, and that’s ok.

Maybe "some" wasn't the right word?

I was going right to worst case scenario of needing to replace the engine AND supercharger...$12k for the blower and it looks like crated Coyote's are $9k plus what....maybe $5k+ labor? So for just those two around $26k.

I only paid around $31k for the car new.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, but you need to move on from modifying anything. HP and speed cost money. And shxt breaks. Stick with something with a factory warranty. There’s no guarantee you or I will wake up tomorrow. The uncertain isn’t for everybody, and that’s ok.
Yup. I agree. Thanks!

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt

Lebanon ford 750hp mustang starts at $44,000 and 1000hp for $55,000

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.

This is nothing new. When car ads in news papers were a thing, you'd always see, baby on way, or family live forces sale. Becase some cars are not made for that life without becoming a pain to live with.
At least today you can get a family hauler that isn't a slug that hold the road like a vehicle on it's roof.
So, moving away from a sports coupe isn't as bad as it once was.
It is somewhat funny that a car with 450hp isn't enough today, it wasn't that long ago that people wouldkill to get their hands on 300hp. How times have changed.
Good luck with whatever you do.
I'd keep the stang as is, for when daddy needs to let off a little steam, and take the funds you'd spend on the s/c the tune, the chassis upgrades and get a used suv/family friendly hauler. Then park them side by side.

Bigmac

Loud Noises
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had one of the first ESS Tuning G2 kits installed on my '16 Mustang GT back in May 2018. I put roughly 18k miles on the car over the course of the next 2.5 years and I absolutely kicked its teeth in every time I drove it. Took it to Vegas and back probably 8 or 10 times and put it through its paces every time. In those 18k miles, I think I had to replace the rear tires (Pilot Super Sports) 4 or 5 times. All that said, the car never skipped a beat. It took the punishment I gave it without a single issue the entire time. Car made roughly 670whp / 495wtq on a Mustang dyno on 91 octane at around 100 degrees in the AZ dry heat. Had Kooks longtubes and exhaust to support the blower. Only other mods were springs, wheels, and brakes. It's been a while since I did all the reading and comparing, but from what I remember, I was making around 50-70whp more than other comparable centrifugal kits with similar supporting mods, fuel, and boost levels.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335