Sponsored

Safety/Reliability of recent superchargers?

abmobil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
The Gen 2 coyote is comfortable making 650 wheel on pump gas. 93 octane. 700 wheel is also easy on E85.

I boosted my 17 GT at 15k. Now with 29k the car runs great and hasn’t missed a beat. It’s not my DD so it’s gets beat on almost every time I drive it.

I have a VMP GEN2R blower. It’s a conservative build making 611 wheel. Stock clutch, stock axles. Car will gap 90% of the cars I come across on the street.
Sponsored

Peter15051

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT (Roush Supercharger)
I've been going back and forth about whether or not to supper charge my 17 GT w/PP since I bought the thing. Plan was to throw a VMP in and turn it up to 700-800hp once the powertrain warranty expired AND it was paid off. Both of those will be true as of April 1st.

What stops me is my dad's 09 GT. He had a Roush installed a few years back and has had nothing but problems as a result. Always related to the gas pedal. He has spent dozens of hours on the phone, traveling, testing, etc. and close to $5k on repairs. While I had the A/C go, the car...mechanically...has been perfect. It's not hurting anything to keep it in the garage, drive it on nice days and leave it at that. But sure would be nice to do it faster than it currently is!!

But when it comes to recent superchargers, whether it's VMP or not, what is safety and reliability like? Do ANY come with warranties? Do any companies offer insurance specific to a supercharger install in case it screws up the car? If I can't have a guarantee at the horsepower range I'm looking at....no thanks.
I know this is an older thread. The only issue I’ve had with my Roush phase 2 kit was a brief rough idle. Other than that it’s been perfect and a lot of fun. At 750 hp to the crank it’s probably 638 rwhp given a typical 15% power loss but for me that’s plenty of power. I’m balancing power with longevity. Of course after the warranty period I’ll be getting a custom tune to smooth things out in sport mode as it shifts very aggressively.
id say pull the trigger on an install. If you want something made just for your car get the roush But there are a lot of quality options out there like procharger, vmp, edelbrock, , magnuson etc.