Sponsored

Safe temperature range for catalytic converters?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I have the torque app and it shows catalytic converter temperatures. I was curious about them because I have an e85 crackle tune and wanted to see if it was getting ridiculously hot. After a pretty long 3-4-5 pull and some cracks on decel they get to about 1840 for a short time. I havent checked the temps while on the stock tune or on 93 octane so does anyone know what the max safe temp is for the stock catalytic converters? I havent checked the cat temps the non-crackle version of my e85 tune yet either but I think the temps would be similar because most of the heat gain is during the pull. I do think the crackle may send it up a bit higher after the pull but I dont know what is too high or if some temperature gain after the pull is normal. My tuner said it shouldnt cause any issues with the cats or o2 sensors but I suppose I would be concerned for my cats if i did do a 1/2 mile then full 3-4 second crackle decel. At normal speeds its easy to stop the crackling , just need to upshift and not engine brake hard.

Anyone else monitor their cat temperatures or happen to know what the safe temp range is for our cats?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The catalyst temp is an inferred reading like engine oil temp. So once you start modifying things it is pretty much out the window. In stock form it is pretty accurate. With that said, stock tune kicks in CAT overtemp at 1650

OP
OP
Andy13186

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The catalyst temp is an inferred reading like engine oil temp. So once you start modifying things it is pretty much out the window. In stock form it is pretty accurate. With that said, stock tune kicks in CAT overtemp at 1650
What does CAT overtemp do? Ive never seen any warning light come on or anything.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Just dumps a bunch of fuel (AFR goes rich) to cool them down. There is no CEL or anything, it is part of a normal stock tune.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Once you remove the cats via headers/cat delete you want your tuner to turn off the COT protection. Most tuners know to do this based off your mod list.
Sponsored