Sponsored

S550 Undercoating

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
Has anyone undercoated their S550 before?

I live in Chicago and drive mine year round. I undercoated with Fluid Film formula 'NAS' last season for the first time via a compressed air gun. This is a lanolin (animal-based) wax undercoating solution used by many in the industry in some of the toughest environments - think John Deere, snow plows, etc.

Based on my research last season I decided to apply once and not wash the undercarriage the entire winter season (thus removing the product). When I checked in early March, I still noticed pretty good product coverage. It was difficult to tell how effective it was - this was the car's first winter... But no rust was present beyond the OEM parts that were susceptible to surface rust, e.g. my differential housing, drive-shaft, etc.

Ideally I would like to spray some sort of Rustoleum rubber or truck bed type coating product. However, I am a bit hesitant - I know if applied incorrectly spraying could actually have the opposite intended effect - water trapped in places it shouldn't be. I also am not 100% sure what can and cannot be coated - besides brakes, exhaust, etc.

Can anyone share their experiences or any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

drudis

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dariusrudis.net
First Name
Darius
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium - SpongeBob Yellow
I "undercoat" mine with Boiled Linseed Oil. Do this to all my cars. Been on my 14 year old F150, daily winter driver in Detroit, and _still_ looks good.
Using air compressor, simply spray wand (or HVLP $10 HarborFreight gun) spray the whole underside, and then inside the doors. Oils runs out, and does not block the holes. The film remains, and filling between the folds of sheetmetal, creating a oil/wax based waterproof barrier.
Stinks pretty badly for a few weeks, like you cooked in a Wok... but that goes away.

OP
OP
Maddog1337

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
I had mine undersealed with Raptor and here’s the underside after 18 months
345AF61B-6809-489C-9997-E0F9C863B94B.jpeg
That looks good! Is that truckbed coating? Did you do it yourself?

OP
OP
Maddog1337

Maddog1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6
That sounds near identical to what i did with Fluid Film, which also stinks by the way :cwl:. Is that a one-time application? If not, I would find it a bit tedious to apply each season, but I suppose that would be included in the process to winterize a car. I'm looking for a more permanent solution.