Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, my blend date is Tuesday so I’m hoping Ford stays on schedule and I get delivery before Labor Day. I let my dealer know I do not want them to prep the exterior, just inspect for any damage and prep interior only. I’ll wash and prep the GT at home. I plan to use two bucket wash method with dirt traps and ph neutral car soap. Possibly McGuires Gold or Chemical Guys.
will use all new mitts and microfiber towels. No plans for ppf or coating.
does anyone know how long Ford recommends before polish and wax? I want to at least get a good coat of wax on before winter.
maybe next spring clay bar, polish and wax. I’ve been using Zaino Brothers products. Thanks
Sponsored

Doc2020GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP 2018 Explorer. 2012 Toyota Tacoma
Hi all, my blend date is Tuesday so I’m hoping Ford stays on schedule and I get delivery before Labor Day. I let my dealer know I do not want them to prep the exterior, just inspect for any damage and prep interior only. I’ll wash and prep the GT at home. I plan to use two bucket wash method with dirt traps and ph neutral car soap. Possibly McGuires Gold or Chemical Guys.
does anyone know how long Ford recommends before polish and wax? I want to at least get a good coat of wax on before winter.
maybe next spring clay bar, polish and wax. I’ve been using Zaino Brothers products. Thanks
You can wash and wax immediately, the paint is cured at the factory.

OP
OP
Bobn57

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

RichGT350R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
You may want to take the car the way it arrives at the dealer.. This way, you get to unwrap the interior and collect items like the build sheets and other goodies that get tossed. Or you can also have the dealer save “Every” single thing that comes out of the car. I found (2) build sheets in my car! Nice find! Also, I don’t know if it matters to you.. But I insisted that they Do Not Install the front license plate holder and No Dealer Stickers on the back..

OP
OP
Bobn57

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You may want to take the car the way it arrives at the dealer.. This way, you get to unwrap the interior and collect items like the build sheets and other goodies that get tossed. Or you can also have the dealer save “Every” single thing that comes out of the car. I found (2) build sheets in my car! Nice find! Also, I don’t know if it matters to you.. But I insisted that they Do Not Install the front license plate holder and No Dealer Stickers on the back..
Thanks. Didn’t think of build sheets! They know about the front license plate. I have a Craig’s plate mount for it. They also know no dealer stickers anywhere.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobn57

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. Didn’t think of build sheets! They know about the front license plate. I have a Craig’s plate mount for it. They also know no dealer stickers anywhere.
Dealer is used to this with other mustangs they sold. My salesman is great….so far 😃
I have one time to get this right.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
I know you said you're not interested, but I would still recommend at least ceramic coating.
I have had many nice cars and my GT350 was the first one I ever had PPF and ceramic coating done.
Ceramic coating for one makes it sooooo easy to wash.

OP
OP
Bobn57

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I know you said you're not interested, but I would still recommend at least ceramic coating.
I have had many nice cars and my GT350 was the first one I ever had PPF and ceramic coating done.
Ceramic coating for one makes it sooooo easy to wash.
I’ll have to look into it. Thanks

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
PPF the shit out of it. Take it home and prep it for PPF. Do not take it out until you take it to your PPF place. Go full front end, front quarters, A pillars, rockers, roof cap, and the area in front of the rear wheels up to the crease, etc. Then enjoy.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Let me clue you in on something. Dealerships don't GAF about your car. They've probably got some.....people, in their "prep department", that don't know anything about cars, or cleaning them. But you're imagining they've got some serious detailers they pay a few hundred dollars a car to prep for delivery.

I had to stop the 2 girls in my dealership's "prep" department (tiny little area they wash cars in) from using a fucking push broom to wash my car when I bought it.

A straight up push broom.

Don't let them touch a thing. Don't let them put the plate on, don't let them fill it with gas (you do that with their voucher), don't let them do anything other than back it off the transporter and park it.

And don't use microfiber on anything. It's garbage, just traps stuff you then drag across your finish. Use 100% cotton towels for everything. No "2 buckets", just your driveway and a hose. Rise/hose off your cleaning towel thoroughly and often as you wash.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Don't let them touch a thing. Don't let them put the plate on, don't let them fill it with gas (you do that with their voucher), don't let them do anything other than back it off the transporter and park it.

And don't use microfiber on anything. It's garbage, just traps stuff you then drag across your finish. Use 100% cotton towels for everything. No "2 buckets", just your driveway and a hose. Rise/hose off your cleaning towel thoroughly and often as you wash.
OK, where to begin. Not every dealer is as bad as NoVaGT's. You've already spoken to them so I'm guessing you're comfortable letting them do some prep. My dealer did my 19' GT/CS and it was perfect. I know the guy who did it and threw him a few bucks. He treated my car as it was his own.

Now sorry NoVaGT your advise on microfiber is total BS. There are many kinds of 100% cotton and a lot of them can scratch. High quality MF is 100% safe which is why every detailer worth their salt uses them. Same goes for the 2 bucket method.

@NoVaGT, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Your advise is usually much better than this. :giggle:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bobn57

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Let me clue you in on something. Dealerships don't GAF about your car. They've probably got some.....people, in their "prep department", that don't know anything about cars, or cleaning them. But you're imagining they've got some serious detailers they pay a few hundred dollars a car to prep for delivery.

I had to stop the 2 girls in my dealership's "prep" department (tiny little area they wash cars in) from using a fucking push broom to wash my car when I bought it.

A straight up push broom.

no delusions here. I've discussed what to prep and what not to prep with my dealership. My salesman actually suggested I detail the stang elsewhere. He told me he suggests that and not drilling the front license plate holes to all his Mustang clients. Sounds like he's on the ball. Not my first rodeo. It is my first factory order though. Thanks for your concerns. I'll be fine.
Sponsored