Rusting bodywork

PeterE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT; 2022 Z4 M40i; 1978 Stag
I saw the new body shop manager last Monday at Furrows - he's quite new in the role but looked at my car and said you need a new bonnet. He said ring back in July and we will book it in for Aug as he's swamped with work. Does this sound OK or do you think I'll get to July and there's little chance of it happening so soon after due to how ford treat us?
It took less time than I expected knowing how long some warranty claims can take to progress; I first contacted Ford UK in late December, the car went in for body shop assessment and photos in early January and Dinnages came back to me last week to take the car in this past Monday as the parts had just arrived. All in all just under 3 months since I kicked the process off and 2 months since the assessment.
Interestingly they did say that mine was the third Mustang they'd had in this week for warranty bodywork although mine was the only one needing a new bonnet.
Sponsored

maddog1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (S550)
It took less time than I expected knowing how long some warranty claims can take to progress; I first contacted Ford UK in late December, the car went in for body shop assessment and photos in early January and Dinnages came back to me last week to take the car in this past Monday as the parts had just arrived. All in all just under 3 months since I kicked the process off and 2 months since the assessment.
Interestingly they did say that mine was the third Mustang they'd had in this week for warranty bodywork although mine was the only one needing a new bonnet.
Thanks pal, that's really helpful!

Showpony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My 2016 Mustang had the same issue. I took it to Trust Ford to inspect. They eventually got around to checking the paperwork / service history after having to chase them up for a month. They told me it was not covered under waranty due to me not having the £10 paint check when they serviced it. Which was never mentioned at the time of the services. Trust Ford , maybe not!

Ford said it would cost me £2.5K for them to replace both wings. They also mentioned the bonnets also tend to rust at the corners.

I enjoyed the mustang it was an amazing car, we had a right blast in the right weather conditions but the build quality of the body work let it down big time which is why I moved it on. Great engine and the car looked great for the money. Worth owning and enjoying for a while but not a keeper.

Last edited:

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
My 2016 Mustang had the same issue. I took it to Trust Ford to inspect. They eventually got around to checking the paperwork / service history after having to chase them up for a month. They told me it was not covered under waranty due to me not having the £10 paint check when they serviced it. Which was never mentioned at the time of the services. Trust Ford , maybe not!

Ford said it would cost me £2.5K for them to replace both wings. They also mentioned the bonnets also tend to rust at the corners.

I enjoyed the mustang it was an amazing car, we had a right blast in the right weather conditions but the build quality of the body work let it down big time which is why I moved it on. Great engine and the car looked great for the money. Worth owning and enjoying for a while but not a keeper.
That is a complete p*** take.

My dealer never mention the bodywork check either, they just do it and stamp the book!

Bonnet is aluminium so doesn't 'rust' but pre facelift cars frequently get oxidation from contamination with steel under the paint.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Dealer I asked about the paint service said they didn't stamp the book as it's all online. Mmm I smelt shte but left it alone as I knew they'd just not do it stamps or no stamps. Warranty isn't worth the ink used to print or the pixels used to display it on screen :lipssealed:

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Dealer I asked about the paint service said they didn't stamp the book as it's all online. Mmm I smelt shte but left it alone as I knew they'd just not do it stamps or no stamps. Warranty isn't worth the ink used to print or the pixels used to display it on screen :lipssealed:
Seems quite a few people have claimed and had repair work done

TimG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT manual
I knew of the inspections but had to prompt the dealer to stamp the book

V8_MOTOR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 S550 Mustang GT (EURO)
My drivers side fender is bubbling even after repair.

Ordered Anderson composites gt350 style carbon fibre fenders from nemesis as they were on offer.

Carbon fibre doesn't rust...
Sponsored